Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker
Question for anyone who use Photo-Etch Benders

Im looking for the things people like & dislike about the various PE benders.

I cant afford to buy one of these things, but I have access to scrap aluminum plate, and several CNC Mills, so Im to machine my own PE bender, and wanted input from people who have used the commercially available benders. What are the things people like about these benders, dislike, things you wish were different, would add, etc.

Size wise Im looking at something about the size of the Etch-Mate (6.5"x3.5) or the Large Hold & Fold (~8" long).

Im also going to be making tools similar to the Mission Models Grab Handler & round Multi-Tool's.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Re: Question for anyone who use Photo-Etch Benders

I have a Mission models Etch Mate 3C (green) and have to say i hate it. Only reason why is it has a groove in between the bending side and the flat side. So when ever i want to bend small parts they just fall in or don't get bent right. So what i had to do was fill it with epoxy putty and now its workable. Its still a good bending tool, but i would suggest a different kind or do what i did.

It might be difficult to understand what i meant, but if you search for pics of it. You will see the groove.

Plus side is its reversable so if you have a long piece to bend you just flip it.

PS Another really good tool for pe is bending pliers, tamiya make them. From what ive seen they are awesome escpecially for small pe.

Just my opinions.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Personally I use the original Etch Mate. The things I like are its size, the groove to help with the bending, and the different sized 'prongs'. The main dislike is that there is only one screw in the middle to hold things down. They have now fixed this in the Etch-Mate 3C. To me one of its best features is the material coating that seems to keep things from sliding around.
robertgreen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Thanks guys. Ive have it mentioned about the groove in the base. On mine, I plan on putting a small lip, similar to how the current version is designed. Im also planning on multiple knobs for holding the fingers in place evenly, going to have at least 2 of them but probably more likely will have 3.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
ouizel
AF Newbie

I have the 5.5" Hold and Fold ( http://thesmallshop.com/index.php?ma...80d18fca97fe1c ) and I love it. Solid construction, two clamping screws, lots of different fingers and levels allow me to fold just about anything. The top can even be reversed to use the back edge (also beveled) for folding long, straight pieces.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling