Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
bw8689
AF Newbie

2000 odyssey shifting problems

My 2000 odyssey has 136,000 miles, a new catalytic converter (2yrs ago), transmission replaced by honda at 70,000 miles (part of the extended warrantee agreement), new a/c 2 months ago. Have kept up with all maintenance at the dealer...never tow anything...just regular soccer mom stuff.

For the past few days the car has trouble shifting gears when i first start driving. after about 15 min the problem went completely away...until today...when the problem lasted a little longer, the check engine light went on and the tcs light went on.

i left it at the service place but want to get some idea of what i might hear when i get the call on monday...i need to figure out if i should keep putting $ in the car...the car is in great condition except for this issue...and i always thought i would drive the car another few years until i was ready to downsize to a civic or something...

is there anyway this could be something besides needing another new transmission?
thanks
bw8689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
dKashton
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 odyssey shifting problems

Our 2000 Odyssey has the same problem. When we first start it up in the morning the transmission shifts really hard - mostly from neutral to drive, and first to second. After one or two shifts it will work perfectly the rest of the day. The transmission was replaced by Honda at 95k miles under warranty. The car is great except for this and it really getting annoying now that it's getting cold. The cold seems to aggravate it.

Please let me know what you learn from the service place, I've been planning on taking ours in, but dread it. It doesn't seem like a mechanical problem, it feels like the computer or soleniod is just not engaging in the right way.

Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks.
dKashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
mpule808
AF Newbie

Hi fellow ody drivers, I too have a 2000 ODY EX that had the same problem you both are describing. I took it in to the dealer and they said I needed a new trans that would cost me $4400.00 with labor included, since I was out of warranty and still on my original trans on only 73000 miles I tried with no success to get a goodwill replacement from my dealer. I asked the service manager if the trans that I was paying for is a new one or rebuilt one, he said a brand new trans. So to be sure I was gonna get one that would not cr@p out like my original I asked if that replacment trans would have the updated components inside that would fix the problems our transmissons were having. Guess what he said??? NO... same trans same problem. Go figger.. And only 3yr/36000miles warranty.. Not good enough.. So to make a long story short I took my ody to a transmission shop that rebuilt my trans using the updated components to make this trans better than new. Not only did they rebuild my trans but they also changed all my motor mounts and trans mounts and gave me 3yr/36000miles warranty all for $3200.00 not bad at all.. It's been 1 month since my trans was rebuilt and I'm the happiest guy on the block..
mpule808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
delaynomore
AF Newbie

I would like to share this helpful information with all the Odyssey owners. I have a 99 Odyssey and had the shifting gear problem at 40K miles. Since it was still under the factory warranty, Honda replaced the transmission for me with no cost. Unfortunately, the same problem happened again at 90K miles. I brought it back to Honda service and they told me it was the transmission problem and it needed to be replaced. My factory warranty had expired so I told the service that this was the second transmission, but they said I had to pay $4,000 for a rebuilt transmission. I was so disapointed, so I wrote a letter Honda Corpoartion to file a complaint. On the letter, I wrote that Honda transmission is only good for 40K miles. They finally contacted me and agreed to replace my transmission with no cost, but replaced it "as is" (no warranty on the transmission). I accepted the deal and they had the local Honda dealer to replace the trans for me. And the dealer also offered a 3 yrs/30K warranty on the trans for $150, so I bought it immediately. I hope this third trans will run over 40K. The shifting gear on Odyssey is a common problem, so please try this first before pay $4k for it. Hope this help a lot of the Odyssey owners.
delaynomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
gid
AF Newbie

Wow! Sounds like there were some real problems with the 99 and 00 odyssey. It is great to hear that Honda is fixing your issue. If this many people are having the same issue they should probably do a recall on those trans. I wonder if any of the newer odysseys have the same issue. I am seriously looking for an odyssey in the 50,000 miles range and would hate to have to put in a new trans...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey