Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
jonpad01
AF Newbie

74 nova with 1967 corvette 327

I just purchased a 74 nova with a 327 engine and a 350 turbo tranny. I want to install a torque converter. any sugestions?
jonpad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Tinman238
AF Newbie

Re: 74 nova with 1967 corvette 327

Are you looking to upgrade your torque converter, i.e., higher stall speed? What kind of recommendations are you looking for, How-To, performance converter vs. stock, etc?
Tinman238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
jonpad01
AF Newbie

im sorry that question was dumb. i thought that the tranny didnt have a torque converter b/c the car would only go about 50 mph at 3k. i just found out the rear end is a ford 9" with 4.56 ratio. im getting a 3.50 ring and pinion. im new to this and am learning alot. just a week ago i threw a rod in the motor and cracked the block, it was a 67 327 with 202 fueler heads and a holly double pumper carb. its going to cost me enough to fix the block so i think im upgrading to a 350. i might be able to keep the heads if that sounds like a wise idea.

can any one tell me by looking at the heads what type of camshaft was installed?
jonpad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Tinman238
AF Newbie

If you were certain the motor was absolutely all original, you could find out what camshaft was original equipment. However, being an old engine, there is no telling what cam is in it by looking at the heads. There should be a part number on the end of the cam that will tell you what it is. It might be aftermarket or original equipment.

If you broke a connecting rod, you need to check and make sure the heads are OK. Specifically, make sure a piston didn't hit a valve and bend it. If you are not sure how to do this, have a machine shop check the heads for you.

Your 2.02 heads are outdated but good heads. In their day, they were excellent. BTW, the "202 fueler" refers to "fuelie" heads, 2.02" intake valve diameter. The exhaust valves are most likely 1.60" diameter. Those valves are the biggest you can safely fit in those heads. For a vintage motor, they're just fine. You have a great combination to learn from, once you find a solid block.
Tinman238 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova