Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
yesman
AF Newbie

97 malibu LS help - don't know how this happened, but, funny gas guage question

okay, so I have no idea how this happened. but here's my problem. I have a 97 malibu LS. for some reason, the little arm on the gas guage got stuck below the little black pin that is supposed to be under it, holding it up. so what this means is I get no reading on the guage, because the arm can only rise as high as the little black pin. I have no idea how it got underneath the pin. it doesn't look like anything's broken.

I did have a dead battery before this happened and replaced it so I guess everything had to be reset, but i still don't understand why that might have had anything to do with it. unless the guage went too high and fell over the other side clockwise. I dunno.

anyway, anyone know what I need to do to fix this myself ? thanks,

yesman
yesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
tiberiuscan
AF Newbie

Re: 97 malibu LS help - don't know how this happened, but, funny gas guage question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman
okay, so I have no idea how this happened. but here's my problem. I have a 97 malibu LS. for some reason, the little arm on the gas guage got stuck below the little black pin that is supposed to be under it, holding it up. so what this means is I get no reading on the guage, because the arm can only rise as high as the little black pin. I have no idea how it got underneath the pin. it doesn't look like anything's broken.

I did have a dead battery before this happened and replaced it so I guess everything had to be reset, but i still don't understand why that might have had anything to do with it. unless the guage went too high and fell over the other side clockwise. I dunno.

anyway, anyone know what I need to do to fix this myself ? thanks,

yesman
Not unusual with the Malibu and it was in fact that your Battery had died. The guage has to be reset manually, which means you have to take the front dash panel out, and then the plastic face in front of the guages. Manually twist the guage to the correct position. There are two screws holding the dash panel and two for the plastic cover. I've had this happen twice. Once after a new head gasket placement and once after the battery died and the alternator was replaced. Unfortunately there is no other way to reset the guage.
tiberiuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
muzikluver
AF Newbie

Re: 97 malibu LS help - don't know how this happened, but, funny gas guage question

This happens to my '98 Malibu pretty much every time i have to disconect the battery. I have a simpler solution to fix it than taking the frig'n' dash apart.

Just bend a paper clip in to a slightly curved shape. Insert it through the Trip odometer reset buttons hole and spin the gauge back around. (Easier with the key off.)
muzikluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
johnholl
AF Regular

Smile

yes, the papar clip does work, with the ignition off spin that needle CCW. It takes a little practice...you dont have to take the dash apart
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
chiefyray
AF Newbie

This happened to my girlfriends 97 Malibu while at a repair shop. We dropped it off working fine (half tank or more) when we picke it up it was under the empty nipple or button. We took it back and they said it was like that when we dropped it off for leaky intake repairs. We knew the were full of sh_t so we told them they better fix it back to the way it was when we dropped it off. They fixed it and told us it was a blown fuse. I hope they were telling the truth this time. Good luck!
chiefyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
maguayo
AF Newbie

Thanks for the great idea of the paper clip, it only takes few seconds to solve the gas gauge problem with out take the dash apart
maguayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
CCPikie
AF Newbie

After disconnecting my 1998 Malibu battery terminals for cleaning and reconnecting, my gas gauge needle had flipped as described above. I used the paper clip trick to fix. Thanks for a great tip!
CCPikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

This usually happens if you disconnect the battery with the ignition key in the "on" position....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
rkvons (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPikie View Post
After disconnecting my 1998 Malibu battery terminals for cleaning and reconnecting, my gas gauge needle had flipped as described above. I used the paper clip trick to fix. Thanks for a great tip!
You only need to move it about half of the way around and then turn the ignition to on. It will move the rest of the way by itself.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
This usually happens if you disconnect the battery with the ignition key in the "on" position....
This is good to know. I always wondered what was causing it. Thanks.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu