Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Old School or New School
Old School 4 66.67%
New School 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #31
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
You consider the late 70s and 80s old school?

Nah, mate. Old school is the 60s and 70s! The 80s are best remember as something that didnt happen.
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #32
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: Old School vs. New School

But this isn't the issue being debated, the thread starter defined old school for the purposes of this thread, so if you want to be part of this discussion you accept the parameters he set up!
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:03 PM   #33
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
the last gen 300ZX TT was 90-96 Nacho Nissan.
...i dont think so!
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #34
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

I don't get why when someone asks for an opinion of one or the other, there are always people that come in here to get all technical about everything. Like it makes them feel good that they can come in and talk like they know better than everyone else and we are in a need to hear what they have to say. Oh well.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #35
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Usually the term applied is "Contemporary Classic".

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the cars outlined in this thread. What concerns me is a growing disregard for motoring heritage; the assumption that only the cutting edge is worthwhile, the belief that advanced technology is the only answer to the performance question.

Maybe it's because we don't live in an era that celebrates the triumphs of man and machine. Maybe it's because today's drivers aren't mythic figures. Maybe it's because of the cold, sterile, laboratory and marketing approach to design. I don't know. But fuck it, modern cars are SOULLESS.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that a Honda Odyssey is faster through the slalom than a Jaguar E-Type. Aware of the fact that an SRT-4 runs an equal 1/4mile to a Hemi Road Runner. Aware of the fact that modern cars are going faster more efficiently with better reliability than ever before.

But when you sit in them, they just plain don't talk to you the way a true classic does. There's this intangible quality missing to the way they drive. They took away the 911's floor hinged pedals and the Saab's sloped nose and hatchback so that they could sell more cars. Triumph, Austin-Healey, Marcos, MG, and Jensen all fell by the wayside. Morgan left the U.S.

Morgan, the Malvern Link stalwarts who've produced the EXACT SAME CAR since 1935 and still maintain a 3 year waiting list for the beloved V8 powered anachronism.

I've driven Panteras and 308's, I've hot lapped Mini Coopers S's (real Alec Issigonis designed Mini Coopers) and I've pushed ZR-1 Corvettes and Z32 300ZX's to their limits. I know the classics and the contemporaries alike. I'll say it loud and clear, I have NEVER enjoyed pushing a modern to it's limits the way I've enjoyed a true old school classic.

Previous generation is a good view of these cars. And of the previous generation of Japanese sports cars the FD3S is by far one of the most interesting. Nimble chassis, attractive lines, and good resale value. Spotty reliability though. Of all of them, it's most likely to become a classic as days go by because it's so unique amongst its peers. Instead of technical wizardry and electronic gizmos, the RX-7 used a classic sports car approach that would've made the late Colin Chapman proud.

It's a car I could see an unmolested example becoming a collectable as time goes on. However, considering that in Japan they were producing them as recent as 2000, I'd say that it's got a long way to go before it's a classic.

And, by the way Nacho Nissan, I was a motorsports journalist before I was posting on this site. Don't presume that I learned my knowledge here.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #36
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
And, by the way Nacho Nissan, I was a motorsports journalist before I was posting on this site. Don't presume that I learned my knowledge here.
well yeah, but you werent born knowing were you?
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:17 PM   #37
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Layla's Keeper there is one very simple answer, in order to sell more and more cars they have been turned from an item of passion, into an every day appliance that is as easy to use as possible. There about as easy to get passionate about as a washing machine.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #38
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
Aware of the fact that modern cars are going faster more efficiently with better reliability than ever before.
I kind of see what your saying but you said it yourself the modern cars are going faster more efficiently with better reliability than ever before, what more do you want, you say soul, I say you can't please everybody. Cars are getting better and that's not a bad thing, to me it's a good thing. Perhaps some things are taken away from a car that had been part of the car for years, such the Corvette pop up head lights, but if it's for the better of the car then I see nothing wrong with going faster more efficiently with better reliability than ever before.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:22 AM   #39
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Well as Layla said its true modern cars often lack the personalities of the ond ones.

That is the result of economics, most cars nowadays are designed by the Accounting and Marketing departments, engineering is just something they push around.

Back then a lot more cars were actually designed by engineers, however we all know what happened to most of those companies.....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:25 AM   #40
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
however we all know what happened to most of those companies.....
They were bought by Honda, who sold them to BMW who sold them to bunch of english blokes with dreams and a few quid.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:34 AM   #41
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
They were bought by Honda, who sold them to BMW who sold them to bunch of english blokes with dreams and a few quid.
And a sizeable garden shed

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #42
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Quote:

something along those lines

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:07 AM   #43
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Re: Re: Old School vs. New School

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho_nissan
...i dont think so!
Are you on something?? The Z32, Fairlady Z, 90-96 300ZX...whatever name you wish to call it, those had a Twin Turbo model. If you don't think so, then you are just plain thinking wrong....call up Nissan and ask them if you don't believe me, or go and look at one yourself. The bottom line is Fact....the Z32 300ZX (90-96 in the US, was made a few years longer in Japan) came with an option for a TT model, period. Yes, there was a naturally asperiated trim model, but the 300ZX also came with a Twin Turbo model. Don't you ever read anything like Sport Compact Car? Go to car shows? See or Driven one? Looked at used cars? That's plain fact, the 300ZX TT came as a Twin Turbo stock, it was a model option. The USDM 2+2 300ZX never came with the TT option, only the 2 seater. If you don't believe me, then do the research, or ask this board...because that is the plain cold hard simple truth.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 05-28-2004 at 05:39 AM.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:23 AM   #44
Moppie
Master Connector

The 2+2 300zx came with a twin turbo option in Japan at least.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:39 AM   #45
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
The 2+2 300zx came with a twin turbo option in Japan at least.
Well, that would of been nice if Nissan USA had thought about that here....the US ones never did....of course, the US cut the 300ZX in 96 too and Japan kept it until around 99 or so.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons