Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Audio/Security car audio, security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 12:30 PM   #31
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
Quote:
Originally posted by frogg
If his battery is running dry every couple of days then a cap isn't gonna do jack crap.
well wouldnt the cap store power so the amp doesnt have to suck as much power from the battery? that way less drain
Old 01-28-2002, 02:41 PM   #32
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to P11GT Send a message via Yahoo to P11GT
i agree, like i said before, the cap stores temporary charge to deliver when needed according to the bass line, so if you think about how many time the bass actually hits in one single track, then thats how quickly the current moves in and out of a cap. You still need something to feed the cap i.e. a battery, so, back to my main problem, MY BATTERY IS FLAT!!!
Vote for my car at www.ridejudge.com user name P11GT

VRRRROOOOOOMMM TIIISSSSSSHHHTT!!!
P11GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:25 PM   #33
"G"-sus!
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to "G"-sus!
That Cap(s) might help w/ the spare battery. But, if your batteries keep goin' flat every couple days maybe something is constinantly drawing power from your battery. Check your amp(s) relay (toggle...however you have it hooked up). Or check your alarm connections and relays. Like you said that might be the problem.

:hehehe: I think its so funny how it's (trunk) called a "boot":hehehe:

Peace!
f-bOmb!:smoker2:
"G"-sus! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:16 PM   #34
tekzilla04
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tekzilla04
first off frogg, i dunno how your car pulls it off, but go count your fuses, how much of adrain are you putting on that alternator, i garantee you if you put a bigger alternator in there itll be like a different system since youd be supplying the correct amount of power to those amps, maybe then it would put out a 1000watts, but i doubt.. maybe im wrong, but i was assuming 60-75amps for the alternators we have..

as far as the alternator question and solution goes, personally i was gonna have my factory one rebuilt/rewound by some little store i heard about down here in atl, they do rebuilds and i figured id go check and see if they can rebuild mine to put out about 150.. or somethin, either that or i was gonna look for a phoenix gold alternator for anissan, and maybe get new brackets to make it fit.. or look into ohiogenerator/stinger aftermarket hi amp alternators.. hope it helps
tekzilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:49 PM   #35
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

cheers tek - ive looked into getting mine rewound, and i think it can be done locally too. ive gotta go back and see the guy sometime, but im also going to invest in one single deep cycle battery, either optima yellow top or Exide 900 DC http//:www.exideuk.co.uk instead of my two i have now.

Old 02-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #36
tekzilla04
AF Regular

i dunno if they carry interstate batteries, but theyre the same as those optima yellow tops, or well wait, no theyre like the red gel cells, but they dont have an optima sticker, i used to have an svr battery, but the shop i used to work at always seemed to get optimas back all the time cause of trouble.. however im assuming its the person who installed its fault rather than the product, since you see optimas everywhere..=), but just ahint if you can get em, they were cheaper, i think i used to pay 140-150$ a battery rather than the 200+ price... im sure the loot could be used for something more fun.. gas or lunch=)..
Old 02-25-2002, 08:51 PM   #37
frogg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frogg
Yea Tek you're probably right. I've always wondered why my system hasn't hit harder, considering how much power i'm putting to the subs.
I have a 100amp fuse and a 30amp fuse. It's kind of amazing that my battery doesn't go dead.
How much (general price) would be.. say, a 150amp alternator?
Thanks alot man
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 05:54 AM   #38
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

im ordering my yellow top today, should be here by the weekend. priced at £182.13 UK all in, you convert that over, i think a bit pricey, but as long as it works.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #39
tekzilla04
AF Regular

okay a 150amp alternator, last time i checked with ohio generator, i found an alternator that was universal for imports or somethin, well nissans, so i guess the plugs will all be the same, but it was 600+, thats why i was gonna either take my factory alternator and have it rewound, but i was also looking at the suggestions ive been hearing aboutjust using an infinity alternator, maybe the q45 goes over 100amps, thats be awesome if it was 150amps=), but to be honest.. the price is always too high on a performance alternator.. but then again what garantees quality on a rebuild, i mean are alternators prone to breaking, or once its rebuilt it stays good? just curious

thanks
babir

but yo, frogg, imma look into the alternators for a g20, ill check your year too.. and let ya know what i find, k? thats the same for anyone else ont he board thats interested..
Old 02-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #40
tekzilla04
AF Regular

okay a 150amp alternator, last time i checked with ohio generator, i found an alternator that was universal for imports or somethin, well nissans, so i guess the plugs will all be the same, but it was 600+, thats why i was gonna either take my factory alternator and have it rewound, but i was also looking at the suggestions ive been hearing aboutjust using an infinity alternator, maybe the q45 goes over 100amps, thats be awesome if it was 150amps=), but to be honest.. the price is always too high on a performance alternator.. but then again what garantees quality on a rebuild, i mean are alternators prone to breaking, or once its rebuilt it stays good? just curious

thanks
babir

but yo, frogg, imma look into the alternators for a g20, ill check your year too.. and let ya know what i find, k? thats the same for anyone else ont he board thats interested..

yea yo.. btw P11GT, that is a really high price, i wonder how much itd cost to ship a battery from here, itd have to be one of those biohazard packages or somethin wouldnt it since its a corrosive/acid or whatever
Old 02-27-2002, 04:29 PM   #41
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

the optimas are gel batteries i believe and are totally sealed, well thats the general idea. they can withstand vibration aswell so shipping should be easy. but ive ordered it now and payed the price for it.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:43 AM   #42
CanadianG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to CanadianG Send a message via Yahoo to CanadianG
Re: More power!! Bigger Altenator needed

Quote:
Originally posted by P11GT
Ive installed a split charging system on my Primera with a second Bosch battery located in the boot due to the ammount of current drain because of the system. But now instead of having the main battery flattening all the time, im now flattening BOTH batteries!!! I think its time for a bigger altenator that can deliver more Ah to charge both batteries.

Is there anyone on the market that does replacement uprated alternators which will fit into the stock position? I have AirCon on my Primera and what looks like very little space for it to locate.

The Gawd has heard ur prayer and I will solve ur problem quickly!

Who did ur install???
When u decided to go on 2 batteries did u add a dual battery isolator???
I doubt u did and they solve ur problem quite quickly. If you do have one list your electronic accesories and I'll help you out brotha
Old 04-08-2002, 09:38 AM   #43
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

just reading back thru most of the replies.........
ive now installed a 1.0 Farad Cap, and its producing a lot more crisp bass, but as i guess before, still need to charge the battery to supply the system. still havent found someone to re-wind my stock alternator yet, but im gonna have to, as im relocating the battery to just one, in the boot, as i need the space for the turbo conversion.

Old 04-11-2002, 05:49 AM   #44
OG20
AF Regular

If your stock alternator is working fine all you really need is a good battery and a large capacitor close to your amps. 1.0farad is good up to 1000wrms system. I've got a a tad over 1000wrms in my car and I'm running a 3.0 farad cap. Probally the largest cylinder style capacitor on the market. Aftermarket alternators designed for car audio like Gold Quest, Streetwires, Stinger, and most of the well know interconnect/wire companies will cost you between 600-800 dollars. The beauty of our G20's over other imports is our stock alternators are strong. Most Hondas have weak 35amp alternators and our's are well over twice that to support all standard power windows/seats/locks/alarm/etc. etc. I'd suggest rewinding your stock alternator only if your you have some super SPL competition setup with crazy high current amps like MMATS, US amps etc. Personally, I'd go with a good battery and overkill with the a capacitor it acts just as good as a second battery. Mine is a MA Audio 3.0 digitop cap, you might want to look into Alumapro 5 or 15 farad caps. since you bought one allready buy one for each amp. my 2 cents...
OG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #45
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

still want to get an alt

I heard our alts are ford style. soooo you could get the alt from one of fords largest vehicles and pray that it'll fit

"If You Can Breathe, Turn The Music Up."
lloyd_nickens is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security