Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
alsgt52
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to alsgt52
mercury sable

I have A mercury sable 1993 3.8v6 . the heat don't work,the blowers work,the thermastat is new and anti-freeze level is good. what else can it be.. I'm not a mechanic just a wanna be. thanks
alsgt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
janetw
AF Newbie

Mercury Sable

Have the thermostat checked. It may not be allowing hot water into the heating coil to send you heat, or you could have the wrong temperature thermostat. The other thing is check the level of your coolant. Sometimes this may affect temperature if low. Good luck.
janetw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
janetw
AF Newbie

Mercury Sable

Sorry for my stupid answer. After I read your message again, I just realized you stated that you have both a new thermostat and full coolant. Then the thing that is left is a plugged up heating coil. Maybe it has to be flushed.
janetw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
itsallsunshine
AF Newbie

Unhappy sable

I own a 94 v6 3.8. I also have problems with my heat. The blower works, warm air comes out but when you turn it off it seems to blow harder! It also will randomly blow less then more, really annoying! Is this what your expericing or no?
itsallsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #5
Firetamer7
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Firetamer7
Lightbulb Mercury Sable heaters

:alien:

heater problems

I am not a professional mechanic, nor have I read up on the newer models. But in general to help ALSGT52, I have worked iin a few shops and do my own car work. I believe you already know the heat itself originates in the engine block, when the heat gets to a high enough temperature the thermostat opens and circulates the water. When that happens it moves the water, providing no blocked passages. There are basically 2 different designs from that apoint. #1 is the water circulates constantly and there is a door that just diverts the air flow (one side to heater the other side to the A/C). The door is controlled by vacuum or eletric switches. #2 type is where even after the thermostat opens there is a control valve to open & close to let heat inside the car. Again it is controlled by vaccum (normally) or electric swtiches. So potentially no heat could be
caused by faulty switches/valves/vacuum lines or sources/blockages/or in some cars internal thermostats) .:flash: :help:
P.S. ( edmunds.com )
www.edmunds.com is also another good site to view like community problems. Good luck.
Firetamer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
s wagon
AF Newbie

Re: mercury sable

I have had new thermastats that do not work, and need to be changed again. For the little cost get another one if the new one works return the faulty one, if that doesn't work you will need the new one in a year or two anyway
s wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
Chrisl2003
AF Newbie

I am willing to bet that the problem is caused by rust and scale plugging up the heater core. If you do not use the approved Ford anti-freeze you run the risk of having exceesive rust build up in the cooling system which will wreak havoc on your vehicles radiator, thermostat, and most of all your heater core. Try disconnecting the inlet hose to the heater core and flush it out with a garden hose, make sure you remove the reservoir cap and open the drain plug on the radiator first. Most importantly, buy new coolant from your local Ford dealer! It is ridiculous but true!
Chrisl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:17 AM   #8
Chrisl2003
AF Newbie

p.s. I do not work for Ford and I am not trying to bolster their coolant sales! Most new cars today require factory recommended cooland due to the special additives they add to them. All new cars are built using the cheapest, flimsiest parts know to man, this means using aftermarket brands can do damage to your vehicles components. When purchasing things like oils and coolant, make sure they are safe to use on your vehicle!
Chrisl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
clydes270

Send a message via AIM to clydes270

After the car has warmed up, feel the heater hoses. Are they too hot to hold? They should be.
clydes270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
jian
AF Newbie

Re: Re: mercury sable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl2003
I am willing to bet that the problem is caused by rust and scale plugging up the heater core. If you do not use the approved Ford anti-freeze you run the risk of having exceesive rust build up in the cooling system which will wreak havoc on your vehicles radiator, thermostat, and most of all your heater core. Try disconnecting the inlet hose to the heater core and flush it out with a garden hose, make sure you remove the reservoir cap and open the drain plug on the radiator first. Most importantly, buy new coolant from your local Ford dealer! It is ridiculous but true!

I am agree what you said. I have 97 Mercury sable. I had over heat problem couple monthes ago. I think the problem is the design and engin rust. To solve the over heat problem is to take out the rediater. To me the overheat problem is gone. But I found the A/C did not work any more recentely. I bought the A/C refill kits. But I found no plug can connect to the low presure connection. I searched all the auto shop, I still can not find the connector. It is very strange. Any suggestions, please email me jian1@sbcglobal.net Thanks.
from Jian
jian is offline   Reply With Quote