Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Audio/Security car audio, security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:18 AM   #1
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
Questions on Installing an Amp/Subs

what should i look for when installing an amp and subs in my car? what is the difference between monster cables and just regular speaker wire? should i use monster cable instead of speaker wire when wiring the amp to the battery? what side should i run the rca and power wires from the battery to the amp, passenger or driver side?

for Kevin, im getting a sony xplod 760 watt amp, should i wire in series or parallel?
Old 01-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #2
frogg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frogg
To tell you the truth, the "high end" stuff is just about the same as the low end stuff. Most of what makes it so expensive is just the name on the wire. If you buy one brand gauge of wire its going to have ~ the same amount of strands as another brand gauge of wire. Only thing I can think of that would make a difference would be the actual material used.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:34 AM   #3
95_G20_P10
AF Enthusiast

thats not realy true the bigger the wire the better. u will get more power with a bigger gauge wire and better clearity but it wouldnt be that noticeable with the clarity. it would make sense to run the wires along the driver side because thats where the battery is. u shopuld use monstercable when hooking it to teh battrey, it just thicker and more reliable, thats why its mkore expensive
95_G20_P10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:38 PM   #4
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

would i be able to hear the difference between running a 380X1W bridged load at 8 ohms and a 150X2W load at 4 ohms? should i bridge it or no? i heard that running the RCA cables should be run on the other side of where the power cable is run to reduce distortion, is that true? im probably going to use 14 or 12 guage wire from the amp to the box terminal. what guage wire should i use inside the box (subs to the terminal)?
Old 01-14-2002, 03:14 PM   #5
frogg
AF Enthusiast

He didnt ask whether bigger wire would be better. He was trying to differentiate between regular wire and a "supposedly" better high end brand.
Yes, running the power wire away from the RCA's will make sure that no distortion gets introduced into the audio signal.
If you can find 12 gauge for a price you don't mind paying, go with it. Go with 12 on the inside of the box too if you decide to go with it from the amp to the box.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

are all RCA cables the same guage? im afraid that the RCA cables that come with the amp, arent long enough. can i buy extensions or just buy longer ones?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #7
frogg
AF Enthusiast

The difference between RCA's is pretty much the shielding that they have on them. Get some Monster Cable RCA's (they sell pretty long ones). It seems that running the wires down the middle would be the easiest and best looking thing to do. I have mine running down the sides of the car but I'm sure it would look much cleaner if I had chosen to look into that route.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:10 AM   #8
hybridamp
AF Enthusiast

As to the bridging, you will not be able to hear an acoustic SoundQuality different from 4ohm stereo and 4ohm mono unless you have developed a bionic ear for soundquality. In theory, the THD (total harmonic distortion) raises a few tenths of a percentage, but overall, its worth the power.

And right about the RCA cables, its all about keeping out the noise. Run a midline-highquality cable correctly and you will be fine.
http://www.teamsynthetik.com
hybridamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:54 PM   #9
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

id figured that bridging would be better, just afraid i might blow the subs though. thanks for all your inputs, now just waiting for my amp to come!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:19 PM   #10
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to P11GT Send a message via Yahoo to P11GT
Solly im sooooo late...but heres my contribution

When using cabling, for power, always use a bigger gauge like 8 or 4 because it will transmitt the power more efficiently. 4 is best. Keep the earth cable as short as poss and remove surface paint before connecting earth to any part of the body.
Always mount amp(s) on a wooden board, covered with material for effect, so that the casing of the amp never contacts with earth. These will all help reduce any interference thru the speakers. Its always best to route RCA/speaker cables and power cables on different sides, so reducing more interference. Use good quality RCA cable and speaker cable, Oxy Free is best, but theres no need to splash out on anything too expensive. Unless youre going into pro comp, wires wont make much difference to everyday listening quality. Speaker wires, 16 gauge is more than enough.
When bridging the amp, its automatically reverted to mono, wire the subs in series then bridge onto the amp. This is the best way i believe. Theres no harm in trying parallel, then you can compare each setup.
When tuning in the subs, up volume to 3/4 full (or what level of volume you normally blast at), make sure that the EQ is set so balance and fader are centre, and any bass enhancement is off including bass +1, +2..........You can also disconnect front or rear speakers to avoid excess noise. Play a bassy track that you are familiar with, adjust the gain on the amp gradually from low and listen for distortion (where the subs begin to fart) then back off a touch. And thats it. Make any fine adjustments with the headunit or bass boost to suit, but always listen out for distortion, its a KILLER!! and remember that every track is different so BEWARE!! youve been warned. Dont blow the subs after spending all that time making such a nice box for them
If ive repeated any of the above replies, its prolly due to lack of sleep and lack of concentration. These point are what i would normally do on any system im fitting.

For tuning tracks, try Sweat by Sash, a french DJ, it has a good build up to a fairly long bassline, enough for you to tune the subs. You can download it from Morpheus or similar program. Any problems let me know.
Vote for my car at www.ridejudge.com user name P11GT

VRRRROOOOOOMMM TIIISSSSSSHHHTT!!!

Last edited by P11GT; 01-15-2002 at 09:45 PM.
P11GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:54 PM   #11
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

wow! thanks kevin, youve come through once again. dont worry ive got a lot of trance to bump, with nonstop bumping bass.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:56 PM   #12
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

got my sony xplod amp today got some questions on the tuning of the amp. should i even bother with the filter or just leave it off? what should i set the Low Boost (40Hz) to? what does the Phase Shift Adjustment do? thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 08:29 AM   #13
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to P11GT Send a message via Yahoo to P11GT
The Hz you need to set depends upon your taste, and what other crossovers your using for the front and rear, if any. Most of the time, anything below 80-50 HZ is about right, but it depends on the track. Remember, 80Hz will allow higher tone bass to pass thru, i.e. more mid range, whereas 50Hz will cut off more of the mid range.

Im guessing that the Phase Shift is just a fancy name for Reverse polarity, i could be, but again, try switching between them both, once you tuned up the amp. what you'll prolly notice is that by switching it one way, it'll give you slightly better bass OR make the bass sound more inline with the restr of the music. Its kinda hard to explain, but just try it both ways, it wont harm anything.
Vote for my car at www.ridejudge.com user name P11GT

VRRRROOOOOOMMM TIIISSSSSSHHHTT!!!
P11GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:41 AM   #14
"G"-sus!
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to "G"-sus!
Don't forget an in-line fuse (a nice biggin', they're cheap) on your power cable ( about 10 inches from your battery)!

You don't have to, but better safe than sorry

f-bOmb!:smoker2:
"G"-sus! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:20 AM   #15
junglist
AF Regular

P11GT is right about phase shift...it reverses the polarity of the speakers...

at 0 degrees you would want your speaker wire to go from pos. to pos. and neg. to neg....
at 180 degrees you would have it go from pos. to neg. and pos. to neg.

you should have your speaker wire go from pos. to pos. and neg. to neg....at 0 degrees
junglist is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security