Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
vtecattack
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vtecattack
smoke???

I have a 92hb with a b18c swap. I have the Teg exhaust with no muffler on yet. Recently I have notice that when I start the car in the morning alot of black/carbon looking moisture is all over the ground. What really worries me is that when I accelerate and VTEC kicks in a puff of black/brownish smoke blows out the exhaust. Has anyone had similar problems like that or is there nothing to worry about? Also there is like a metallic dust all over the back of my car, like from the cat??
vtecattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
What ECU are you running? It sounds like its running a little rich.
And isn't VERY loud with out a Muffler?
Old 01-06-2002, 11:32 PM   #3
vtecattack
AF Newbie

ecu

I am running a rechipped 92 Si ecu and harness. The stock exhaust has a resonator so its not that loud. If it is running rich what can I check for? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
Yeah it sound like it is running rich. How is it Running? Does it run rough or anything? Also see if your exhaust is a blue-ish color. If it is then you are burning oil.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
91zc
AF Enthusiast

Black carbon moisture sounds like you are running a rich condition like the other guys said. I was having the same problem with my ZC because of a shitty O2 sensor. One way to fix your problem is to invest in a fuel computer to lean out the fuel in your mixture.
91zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:05 PM   #6
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Buying a fuel computer might not help that well because if your o2 sensor is bad then it be "sluggish" and won't have the right reading no matter what. It is suppose to read rich, lean, rich, lean in a constant manner and it being "sluggish" will make it read rich and stay there for a while then change over. If you hook it up to a computer you will see what I mean. Also it could be your MAP sensor. It measures the amount of pressure in your intake and will tell the computer how much fuel to give it. A fualty map sensor will not show any signs unless under a load. So if your car idles good and crappy under accel then it could be your map sensor. Any other drivibilty information could help.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #7
91zc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
Buying a fuel computer might not help that well because if your o2 sensor is bad then it be "sluggish" and won't have the right reading no matter what. It is suppose to read rich, lean, rich, lean in a constant manner and it being "sluggish" will make it read rich and stay there for a while then change over. If you hook it up to a computer you will see what I mean. Also it could be your MAP sensor. It measures the amount of pressure in your intake and will tell the computer how much fuel to give it. A fualty map sensor will not show any signs unless under a load. So if your car idles good and crappy under accel then it could be your map sensor. Any other drivibilty information could help.
True, but usually with a faulty O2 sensor, or a faulty map sensor the ecu with throw a code.
91zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:25 PM   #8
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Thats very true but i had cases where a bad MAP sensor wouldn't throw a TC. I'm not saying thats the case here...
Old 01-07-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
vtecattack
AF Newbie

smoke??

The engine runs great at idle and at higher rpms. It just blows out some smoke or dust at high rpms, I notice it when vtec kicks in. Also it smells like hell when the cat heats up!! And there is a brown/metallic dust all over the back of the car?? Could the cat be bad? No codes have come up either... Thanks.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:03 AM   #10
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

yes, the cat is clogging up(the smell) and the honey comb shit is falling apart(the metallic dust)...time to gut the fucker
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical