Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
DClark82
AF Newbie

2005 sebring engine overhaul

My overhaul was completed everything was fine for 250 miles then a tapping sound started at high rpm. I called my mechanic and he removed the oil pan and balancer to inspect main bearings and piston rod bearings. upon inspection he discovered the rod bearings loose despite being torqued to spec I had the crankshaft and pistons inspected prior to the OH, the crank needed repair but the pistons were ok

I'd Imagine the shop would of told me if I needed oversized bearing. I will contacting as soon as I can. Also I'm investigating if I was sold the correct bearings.

Any other thoughts or ideas what could cause this would be much appreciated.

Thank You for your time ----DClark
DClark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
DClark82
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 sebring engine overhaul

I have to go now but I'll check back in a little while
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Crvett69
AF Moderator

will need to remove a couple and see if they look like they are grooved or scored from low or no oil pressure. if they were the wrong size they would have knocked as soon as you started it, not 250 miles later. and when crank is turned it will require oversized bearings but i would be more likely to suspect the oil pump or a plugged passage
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
DClark82
AF Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will relay this information to my mechanic and post his reply, he is working on it now. I'll get back to ya

thank again-----Dclark
Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
DClark82
AF Newbie

What started all this was a leaking front main seal. now I am seeing a slight leak around the seal again..OMG IM ready to throw in the towel and look for another ride . At least I got A five good years out of the car. Some decisions need to be made.

thanks for all the great advice .----Dclark
Old 06-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
DClark82
AF Newbie

check this out after putting it all back together the noise all but disappeared. after reading in the repair manual there was a side note saying if the noise I had appeared to run the motor at 3000 RPM for a minute or so . we did that and like magic noise is all but gone and expected go away completely soon I'll keep updating the post with any new information and our status of the car.

Thanks again this forum is the best much RESPECT-----DClark82
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
DClark82
AF Newbie

good morning ppl I just got back from a twenty mile errand. the noise continues..but now at a lower rpm when I get over 3000 rpm the noise disappears . weird right. Just praying It all goes away just spent almost $1000 on overhaul. And cant afford a new ride. As always I look foward to any and all comments on this subject. I Thank all of you good bye for now. this site this site is awsome. PS I will look at some questions from other users with the same car as me (2005 Chrysler sebring 2.4 lt.) and see if I can give back to the community. This is how a forum should be run. AF is doing a great job bring us all together. Thanks------ DClark82
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
DClark82
AF Newbie

Don't be shy POST POST POST all these views.. so few replys?
I will respond thanks---------DClark
Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
dna9656
AF Newbie

I'm not buying another Chrysler I'll tell you that much. With all the trouble I have been having changing a timing belt and reading about what happened to you. The heck with Chrysler. Maybe they are all like that I don't know. If so I guess I'll be an older vehicle and overhaul it knowing what o expect and not run in to all the weird, hard to do things Chrysler requires.
You shouldn't have had any troubles if the correct bearings were used. How a noise goes away after running at X RPM is out of my experience. How that FIXES something must be VOODOO or Mechanic in a can.
dna9656 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible