Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Audio/Security car audio, security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Brian P Send a message via AIM to Brian P
secret ignition kill-switch relay

i'm thinking about putting in a relay to my ignition switch, so that the circuit cannot be completed (from the inside of the car, at least) unless you are pressing the hidden button/switch whilst turning the ignition. anyone think this would be feasible with little effort? i know that it would literally cost about $10 with parts from radio shack... but i'm not exactly an electrician, i might get car toys to do it... i'd do it if my insurance co said they would give me a small discount on comprehension for lowering my chances of it getting stolen.

hmm i guess its not a secret anymore - i told you guys!

btw i have a '99 G20t
Brian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
verboom
AF Regular

I've never done it, but my uncle did when he was 19 or something, except that he had a series of 3 way switches that had to be in the right positions for the car to start. I'd imagine the only thing you would have to do is find a wiring diagram for the ignition switch, grab one of the wires resposible for stating the car, and splice a button in. I'd be interested to hear from another few people though, just to see if I'm right.
verboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 07:15 AM   #3
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

ya i was thinking it *should* be that simple, but <i>I'd be interested to hear from another few people though, just to see if I'm right</i> before i try it also!

you think the insurance co would give any significant discount on the comprehension?

i looked, and we get a $95 (for 6 month billing) discount for i guess it must be the factory alarm in the '99 P11. note that the 2000s were the first Infinitis to get electonically encoded ignition keys. as far as i know, the alarm on the '99 G doesnt do anything but emit a loud honking noise! i'm not aware that it does anything to disable the starter system...

but! my idea actually DOES! even if i leave the keys in the car, they still cant steal it! (i think i'd put it under the seat, but make the button TINY... so that you really cant even see it even if you are down there - youd have to feel around for it)

BTW - you mentioned something about a wiring diagram... i dont think i had even seen that in the manual... any idea how to obtain one for the car? maybe through a stealaship? and about how much should they charge... reasonably?
Old 11-12-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
greekman
AF Enthusiast

my old girlfriend had something like this in her camry. basically you would have to wave a special piece of plastic in this certain spot to enable the car to start otherwise it wouldn't even start w/ the key. the idea was cool, but it got to be a pain in the ass getting the sensors to align-especially at night.
although you want a switch, this is a similar concept. the idea is good and for $10 it's probably worth it. but then again-how much theft do we have in boulder?

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you taste. So go out and get your bread!
greekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 01:57 PM   #5
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Thumbs up Excellent idea . . .

I've decided to make that one of my next projects . . . although I'm going to go about it a little differently.

I'm going to interrupt the circuit in the wires connected to my clutch pedal with a switch. Since my car's manual transmission, you can't start it without stepping on the clutch which completes the circuit and allows you to start the car.

My method will make it so that you can't complete the circuit until you've turned on the hidden switch. Then you can step on the clutch, and start the car . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

well i dunno what the theft is in boulder. but i park my car on the street, so it is well within view (plus i tend to snag the most high-profile spaces

1) possible insurance discount (i just rememberd, that 6-month $95 security discount must go for both the alarm and the fact that the VIN is laser-etched into all windows).

2) whats the harm in reducing the risk of your car getting stolen? i have no confidence that either the boulder PD or denver PD would be able to recover the car before significant damage is done to it.

3) hell its cool! if a friend wants to take my car for a joyride i can be like "i need to teach you The Way first", and they'd be like "screw ya!" and then they would try to start the car, and would fail, and i would laugh.

... i should set up a digicam in my car that gets activated whenever the ignition sequence is botched and film the focker making an ass out of himself.

that would be cool :P
Old 11-13-2001, 11:51 AM   #7
greekman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian P
well i dunno what the theft is in boulder. but i park my car on the street, so it is well within view (plus i tend to snag the most high-profile spaces

1) possible insurance discount (i just rememberd, that 6-month $95 security discount must go for both the alarm and the fact that the VIN is laser-etched into all windows).

2) whats the harm in reducing the risk of your car getting stolen? i have no confidence that either the boulder PD or denver PD would be able to recover the car before significant damage is done to it.

3) hell its cool! if a friend wants to take my car for a joyride i can be like "i need to teach you The Way first", and they'd be like "screw ya!" and then they would try to start the car, and would fail, and i would laugh.

... i should set up a digicam in my car that gets activated whenever the ignition sequence is botched and film the focker making an ass out of himself.

that would be cool :P

i agree w/ all 3. especially the last one. don't put any faith in the boulder/denver pd to find anything except a dunkin doughnut store.
how the hell do you snag high profile spots. parking on the hill is impossible, but sometimes i'll land a good one.

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you taste. So go out and get your bread!
greekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #8
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

i just kinda lurk in the shadows and cruise around until someone leaves. usually the very first parking spot that is allowed from the:

No
Parking
<----

sign.

i live down by marine so its all the way on the edge of the hill.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:30 AM   #9
GoodJuan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to GoodJuan
i believe the new lexus have seat massagers built in...it won't be long until there are ass sensors to tell if the correct driver is actually in the seat.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:36 AM   #10
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

there is a new volvo coming out (or at least the concept is about a year old) ... ok, not sure if it is actually going to be produced, but the concept supposedly had IR sensors in it to tell you if someone is sitting in your car seat, and it will alert you remotely with a little LCD thing you carry around... not sure if it includes a photo/video when it alerts you.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:27 PM   #11
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to P11GT Send a message via Yahoo to P11GT
heres how to do it, i know cos ive done it before, to my Almera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killswitch.jpg (30.9 KB, 281 views)
Vote for my car at www.ridejudge.com user name P11GT

VRRRROOOOOOMMM TIIISSSSSSHHHTT!!!
P11GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:35 PM   #12
frogg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frogg
Lol, you drew out scissors.. just found that amusing.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:39 PM   #13
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

yeah, hehe i took me bloody 15 mins to draw the damn thing, and when it come to the scissors, i just gave up and done my best free hand.

Old 11-21-2001, 06:33 AM   #14
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
the ignition and starter wires should both be red right? where is the starter actually? doesnt the starter wire connect to the ignition?
Old 11-21-2001, 07:26 AM   #15
P11GT
AF Enthusiast

i cant tell you what colour the wire is, anyway, it may be different to yours. all you need to do is to test it with a 12 volt tester, while cranking the car over. the tester will only light up for as long as you have the ignition key fully turned during cranking. Whatever you do, DONT CUT THE LIVE ON THE ACTUAL STARTER MOTOR!! a normal 12 volt relay cant handle all the current. All the wiring you need is under the steering wheel cowling. there will be a multi pin plug which plugs into the ignition barrel. note: on mine, when i fitted the remote start alarm system, there were 2 secondary postion wires and also 2 crank wires, one for constant live feed and the other for ignition position 1. making a total of 6 wires coming from the ignition barrel.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Audio/Security