Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 11:08 AM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Question Masterpull winch lines

I'm looking at the Masterpull winch lines to replace my broken one.

What's a good size (diameter) and length to get for my XD9000?

Any opinions on the diameter? The bigger one is stronger, but with the Xterra is it necessary? Having more than 100ft would be nice, but I wonder how much can coil on the XD. I notice they have extension lines too.

I'm kindof wondering about the tradeoffs of length vs diameter, since the thick long lines are $200+
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 11:22 AM   #2
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

I got the 3/8 line rated at 17,500lbs.
Since this is thicker that the 5/16 line 85' is all you can fit on the XD 9000.

My reason was I wanted the strongest stuff I could get.
I might be out with other trucks that are heavier than the X or some recoveries might be in mud and with suction forces can get pretty high.

I also got a 50' extension.
This gives me 135' feet of reach and more options for pulling.

The downside is the stuff is expensive.
For the extension I got another hook at the end.
This makes it dead easy to attach the extension (but costs more).

CD - has just ordered 100' of the 5/16 rated at 11,700lbs
He was going to try 125' but after talking to the guy at MasterPull he went with 100'

rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 11:39 AM   #3
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

This pic shows the thimble (silver) and HammerLock hook (which is very beefy).
The hook cannot be removed from the line.
I like this since it is one less failure point.
Attached Images
File Type: gif winch_hook.gif (84.8 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #4
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

I read a discussion on these winch lines somewhere & someone had spoken to Warn & Warn was concerned that these lines wouldn't allow proper convective/conductive heat dissipation (via the conductive metal winch line).
Did anyone hear about this or, better, look into this?
xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull
I read a discussion on these winch lines somewhere & someone had spoken to Warn & Warn was concerned that these lines wouldn't allow proper convective/conductive heat dissipation (via the conductive metal winch line).
Did anyone hear about this or, better, look into this?
I remember hearing something about this - Warn does not recommend using them as far as I can rememeber ...
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:06 PM   #6
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

That was me.
I sent WARN an email asking why they do not recommend the line.

Here is the response:
<snip>
Warn does not recommend the nylon rope because our winches generate a lot of
heat during a pull. The nylon rope does not let the heat escape like wire
rope does through the drum. Without letting heat dissipate, the winch can
overheat very quickly and burn up and also possibly melt the nylon rope.

Sincerely,

Anne Snedecor
Senior Technical Customer Service Representative
Warn Industries, Inc.
<end snip>

To help with this possible problem I always try and use a snatch block or have tons of line out. This should help with the heat problem. I also just take my time and if the winch is getting to hot then a wait a bit. If you just run your winch then I could see this being a possible problem but it would also be with wire line (just might be faster with the rope).

The MasterPull line is (if it's not yet) going to be mandatory at Rock Crawling competitions (for safety).

For me the safety factor was worth the possible damage to the winch. It is also great to work with (you can use bare hands).

Just my 0.02
Old 06-19-2001, 01:27 PM   #7
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
why would using a snatch block help with the heat problem? the issue wan talks about in their response is heat dissipation, not generation. metal transfers the heat to where there is cooler air and offers plentiful surface area for the heat to dissipate. nylon rope on the other hand not only doesn't conduct heat well, it will actually keep the heat in. so by using that nylon rope, you are probably "taking years off the life" of your winch motor. the air ventilation for that motor is already poor enough as it is.

for you computer geeks out there and folks that need another visualization, this is one of the reason why all screws on a computer's motherboard, hard drive and such not are made of a conductive metal. it helps transfer the heat away from the item that might not otherwise have a way to do so. this is especially critical for hard drives (unless you have fans blowing across them, which is a different story).
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 02:00 PM   #8
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Generating less heat in the first place with a less stressful pull would be the idea I think. However, a snatch block would increase the time it takes to make the same pull, which probably negates much of the benefit otherwise. Running the motor longer to reel in twice the cable will generate more heat than a straight pull if you take load/stress out of the equation. By pulling out more cable to use the doubler, you let the drum "breathe" a little better during the initial portion of the pull. I don't know how much actual benefit there would be to either approach.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 02:29 PM   #9
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

The reason is I just want to get more line off the drum (I did not think about the fact that the pull would take longer).

It might take time off the motor but I'm willing to take that risk (small price for me to pay for peice of mind).

This might not be a big issuse for some people.
I have talked with a few guys that have been using wire for years and never have had a problem. For them they just check the wire to make sure that it's in good condition and if not buy new wire.

Old 07-31-2001, 05:09 PM   #10
Sc00ter
AF Newbie

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Rhombus, How is the Masterpull holding up? Is there enough stretch to be concerned with snap back in the event of a line break? Masterpull says it will just go limp, but I am still a little skeptical.

I was talking to a dealer in Los Gatos, CA and he said he sells the abrasion gaurds for the line as well. Sounds just like a piece of tubular webbing. Even though it is for "Abrasion resistance" I think it would work good to protect the first 2 feet of line that is alway's exposed to the sun/rain/fire and brimstone, etc.

I have a few broken strands(who doesn't) that seem to poke me EVERYTIME, so I am eager to ditch the OEM setup and go with the Masterpull. I'm looking forward to any and all feedback on this old topic.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:00 PM   #11
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

It has been working great. There is still some debate about the fact that it might shorten the life of you winch but for the safety and ease of handling I will take the risk.

There was a thread on VOY (that Goth posted I think) about some a jeep guy who had some MasterPull line break. It just dropped to the ground like they said it would.

I think that a guard on the first few feet would be a good idea.
I think that I will be adding some soon.
I will just use some climbing webbing. I have done this with some of my top-rope anchor rope before and it makes sense to protect this area.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail