Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
efsmile
AF Newbie

Service Check Light always on

I have just purchased a 1987 BMW 325i that has a Service Check that stays on. Even though it was recently serviced (oil change) the light has suddenly come on and stays on. I am told by a BMW dealer that it would take a new computer board to fix this problem (about $300 for part and labor). I would like to just disengage this light somehow because I already know when to service my vehicles. How do I go about turning this light off for good. I've been told that I will need to warm the car up every few days so that I don't drain the battery. Is the so called replacement board necessary for anything else but to let me know when service is needed? If not then I would rather not put any more money into this. Otherwise, the car runs fine. Any advice you can give would be highly appreciated
efsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
bmwe30cr
AF Newbie

Have you tried to reset the service lights?
Old 01-08-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
bmwe30cr
AF Newbie

if you have a Motronic Injection

If this is the type of injection you have in your bmw here:

Just use a jumper wire between the two red marked terminals, then turn the ignition key to ON, without starting the car!!!. When the lights turn on about 3/4 seconds and then turn the ignition off, if you do this for another 6/7 seconds you will perform and inspection reset.

If this doesn't help you try replacing the bateries on the SI board before making the big investment

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series