Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #31
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Re: Re: Re: Tamiya 2005 Raybrig NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyssy
The reason they use the die cast base is to stop the screws shearing off in transit when they screw the pre-builts to the bases. I know this for a fact.
Tamiya do prebuilts that use plastic chassis as well so that doesn't mean a diecast base is a requirement to stop the screws shearing. However for that and a number of other reasons the simplified construction and metal base is obviously preferable for them.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #32
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja
Re: Tamiya 2005 Raybrig NSX

OMG stop complaining already!!! I've heard this arguement/rant more then enough times already. Obvioudsly the dudes at Tamiya are nto listening. And then, after you guys have built the kit, there is no problems! You sound like a bunch of NOOBS!!!!!
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:50 AM   #33
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Yeah let's stop complaining and just be grateful for whatever crumbs the almighty Tamiya might cast our way. Just like newbies who don't know any better.

Do you realise you are now complaining about our complaining? Which is worse?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 AM   #34
mickbench
AF Fanatic

I admit I am perhaps complaining and voicing my opinions a little too much about this, but I really do feel Tamiya are selling a huge base of loyal model builders very short.

They do not perform the same stunts with bikes etc… But I’ve whinged enough, been called a baby and you’re right, everyone rights. Nothing can be done, Tamiya will not listen, I’m afraid this is now the way forward from the looks of it. It’s such a shame, and I’m sorry for starting another ranting moan about Tamiya.

But I will say, you can blame this mostly on the die cast market, and lazy collectors, or collectors who do not have any skill to build a model, I mean why build a really nice Ferrari or Skyline or something when a die cast can be brought for say £30 where you take it off the shelf, pay for it take it home, plonk in a display case and walk away..

Sorry another moan.. Bah, I can’t help it can I..!!
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 AM   #35
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Did the Tamiya Enzo not sell well? Not my type of subject but that kit is amazing. What went wrong?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #36
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Diecast chassis on a tank: click here. And here.

Diecast wheels on a tank: click here.

Diecast parts on a jet: click here.

Car modelers aren't the only ones finding metal in our model boxes.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #37
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Tamiya 2005 Raybrig NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
Diecast chassis on a tank: click here. And here.

Diecast wheels on a tank: click here.

Diecast parts on a jet: click here.

Car modelers aren't the only ones finding metal in our model boxes.
Bloody hell… That’s what you get for having tunnel vision. Didn’t research enough to see if anyone else was suffering the same fate..

Die Cast on a tank, to add weight.. Well I guess tanks are heavy, wonder if the military guys are as chuffed as us car modellers. Wonder what Tamiya are planning for their model kit division? Eventually selling just pre-built, or pre-painted metal etc and you just screw it together?

Oh well.. I’ve simmered down anyhow, I think my “dog” related skyline incident made me a little touchy and seeing another crappy die cast chassis just put me over the edge..
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #38
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

I guess since it's 1/24 scale, they try to replicate the 1/24 weight of the subject.

Next, the 100lbs Model kit !
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #39
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Yes I for one am well aware of the diecast chassis being used on Tamiya's tanks. To me it isn't the medium of metal that is the problem. A diecast part in itself isn't necessarily a backwards step. What IS the problem is the simplifying and loss of detail that is going hand in hand with it. Where once Tamiya produced beautifully detailed and accurate chassis and suspensions now we have something close to nothing.

I guess Tamiya's research has shown most people don't pick up a model and look underneath? I wonder what the tank guys think about it and if it is affecting the authenticity of military models. Given the power of armour and aviation modellers I suspect that they are not being forced to live with as big a compromise as we automotive modellers are.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:22 AM   #40
Scuderia.
AF Regular

At least they'll be dog resistant
I would say dog proof, but I don't know how big your dog is.
Scuderia. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #41
MoeSzyslak73
AF Newbie

about the more "realistic weight feeling", I don't really buy it. So the 1/24 scale, the volume should be 24 x 24 x 24 times smaller then the life-size. (length x width x height), so that's 13824.

Take a car weights 3000lbs, divided by 13824 and you get 0.217 lbs. With that metal base it will weight way more then 0.217 lbs!! I feel bad about Tamiya cutting corners yet giving bull about it
MoeSzyslak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #42
tamiya_man
AF Regular

Cool Barking up the wrong tree!

Have any of you guys bothered to try and contact Tamiya with your views???? Or are you all hoping that some Tamiya executive will be reading this post while he plots to put more diecast metal into our kits??? Listen guys, this is not some sort of conspiracy here. I really can't see how putting diecast metal parts into a model, is a cost-saving measure!!! Let alone it being corner-cutting. I think Tamiya is just trying something new. Perhaps they are trying to appeal to a new market segment!? Maybe trying to attract the diecast modelers?? Further, making curb-side models is no sin. Curb-side models are more cost-effective for alot of people. Also, many people just want to have a model of a certain car, without going through all the detail work of building an engine! Juice companies make different flavours for a reason. , just like Tamiya makes different kinds of car kits (Curb-side, full detail, with diecast metal parts, etc.). You can't stick to just one type product! CrispyCream donuts did that here in Canada and they got clobbered!!! Think outside of the box guys. One last thing...... please don't ever put an American model company over Tamiya!!! Tamiya is the RollsRoyce of plastic modelling, while any American company would be the Chevy Lumina!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM   #43
disomma
AF Newbie

please, tell us how you really feel.
disomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #44
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Re: Tamiya 2005 Raybrig NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonthewall
Cool, lok forward to seeing that.

I wonder what the R34 Nismo parts will be - http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12608

Exhaust, engine perhaps? Actually the latter seems unlikely to me as that would still require alot of scratchbuilding and conversion to make it fit.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=12608

So Rims, Brakes, Muffler, Side Skirt, Steering and Nismo decals

For this price, I would be happy just with the Nismo Decals
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #45
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Just because a product has the Tamiya logo on it does not mean it is the best. Think outside the box! In fact there must be examples of American kits and products that are equal or maybe even better than Tamiya. Generalisations are hardly ever true.

We all know Tamiya are pretty darn good, that is what makes this backward step all the more annoying.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling