Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Tailgate vs. Barn Doors
Tailgate 51 38.06%
Barn Doors 83 61.94%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #16
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: Tailgate or Barn Doors?

Hi,
Can you get a New Body Style with the liftglass?
I had an OBS with the tailgate and the liftglass on my NBS is soooooo much better.
Don't have problems with the trailer, either.
Take care, Eggert
Old 05-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #17
ZR800
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ZR800

Barn doors are the way to go for function, but tail gates look better and provide the wiper. I am 6' and can't reach to the back of the seat with the barn doors, the tail gate puts you that much further away. I am guessing a lot of tailgate owners climb in and out to get things.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #18
Ketch
AF Regular

Re: Re: Tailgate or Barn Doors?

Barn baby, barn!

of course wife wants wiper to clean off ever-present dirt but she's four eleven and could never even climb over to get in with a tail gate.

Tail gate would be great like you say for really long stuff like lumber but no fun for lifting bags of concrete into the back.

When we're on a long trip and need to get something out of the back, the barn's make it easy to get to all the luggage and we put the big cooler back there for easy access during stops.

We got used to the center column quickly and typically use the side mirrors more than rear view.

Next 'burb of course not an issue cause its a hatch. Great for pre-game hatch parties.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #19
84fiero123
AF Regular

have an 86 with gate and a 94 with barn doors. go with the doors for practicality, easier to get in and out of. and open and close. tailgate can get real heavey if you use it alot. wife love the barn doors.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #20
sub006
AF Enthusiast

My wife insisted on tailgate, couldn't stand the jamb in rearview mirror. Back then barn doors were almost impossible to find in California (exactly the reverse of Texas, where there are NO tailgates).

I wish I had the doors when loading mountain bikes in the back. But the power tailgate window is IDEAL for clamping surfboards securely when heading to the beach.

Maybe the ideal solution would be a tailgate like the '60s Ford wagons had that would flop down OR swing from one side?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #21
marcusbear
AF Newbie

Personally I have and perfer barn door. The wiper would be nice on the tailgate model, but my major objection to tailgate was my back and reaching into over the tailgate. It always seems that I have heavy items to load and unload. On my 98 model I take the back seat out and lay down the middle seat and I never had anything that the doors had to be kept open. I'll use my roof for bigger or longer items.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #22
Blitzburrgh
AF Newbie

Barn Doors all the way.

You'd be surprised what you can haul, even lumber with barn doors. I've had plenty of lumber in my '94.. just remove the 3rd row seat, fold down the 2nd as well as the passenger front, and viola.. lumber, rolled carpet, you name it. If I had the tailgate, I'd still be at Menards loading patio stone.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
94century
AF Newbie

you guys all know deep down that the tailgate is the ONLY way to have it. Barn doors are a pain to see around.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #24
idahogroundhog
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to idahogroundhog
My '95 has the "barn doors", don't have to crawl up on a tailgate to reach inside, and if I had a tailgate, it would interfere with access when I have my trailer hooked up. As it is, my doors open with just enough clearance that I can access the rear when pulling my trailer.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #25
rew3
AF Newbie

Lightbulb

To all you guys that can't see "around" the post, that's what you have
those big reflective things on your doors for.
(I think there called MIRRORS) I hope you use them on the freeway no-matter what kind of doors you have.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #26
custmguru
AF Enthusiast

having driven both i concur on the barn doors. whoever made the comment, "I guess tailgate owners have to crawl into the back for everything" was right.

i have a tailgate now and it looks good, but i want to be able to go real quick and open 1 door and be able to get to everything. right now i have to open the hatch, drop the gate and climb in. I'm 6'4 too...

As far as the barn doors blocking my view, i can't see with the rear tv monitor down anyway, lol
Old 09-18-2005, 02:14 PM   #27
Jeremy72
AF Newbie

barn doors are the way to go , the tailgates are heavy and to big for children to operate. the only thing with the older barn doors is the strap that keeps the door from smaking the body , if the strap breakers a nice dent will follow.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #28
kalafre
AF Newbie

My '87 didn't have to have the strap to keep it from denting the car. The design of the hinge itself keeps the door from opening all the way against the body. Now, it is true that I never TESTED the hinge design without the strap, so I suppose I could be mistaken
Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #29
ATonyMac
AF Newbie

Tailgate. The center pillar of the two barn doors block alot of rear view, just what you want in a big Suburban. The rear wiper is great too.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #30
rew3
AF Newbie

A Suburban is a truck. If you ever had a pick-up with a topper, or a panel van, you would know how to use your external mirrors. Have you
tailgate boys ever pulled a trailer? Why don't you guys just get an SUV
rear wipers are for girls.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban