Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which do you like better, the Integra or RSX?
Integra 122 24.75%
RSX 342 69.37%
Not sure 29 5.88%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 01:17 PM   #1
mcervantes
Writer mod

Post 2002 Acura RSX

2002 Acura RSX

In a word, more refined.

Ahh, the Integra.... a cult icon and potentially the most important vehicle during the 1990s. Hundreds of thousands sold over the course of a decade, the Integra spawned a mind-blowing following among young, Southern Californians and eventually, the entire nation. And rightfully so, it was a fun, nice looking hatch that based its appeal in its simplicity.

Well, the Integra is dead.

This year, Honda’s upper-end brand known as Acura introduced an all new animal, the RSX. Its based on a brand new platform (one that is still closely related to the Civic) that has caused more than its fair share of controversy in the enthusiast community. Up front, the RSX features a new “Control-Link” MacPherson strut suspension. This new setup is largely seen as a less-capable, cheaper alternative to the former Integra’s setup. And while the suspension has lost a bit of Integra’s edge (the cost of an overall more refined vehicle), it is still a wonderful performer...albeit a smoother one. The RSX Type-S, the high performance version for those just crawling out from under a rock, comes with firmer dampers and springs, a rear “performance rod,” and a front tower bar.

The chassis itself is much stiffer and, to the delight of driving enthusiasts, it has allowed Honda to firm up the spring rates without any ride quality compromises. And this is where the RSX and Integra differ most. While the ‘teg was a bit on the harsh side, the new RSX is supple and more refined (there’s that word again). But don’t mistake the new baby Acura for a Town Car, the RSX is almost Germanic in its sure-footed nature. But true enthusiasts will probably say that the new car is lacking some of the Integra’s bite.

Then, they spool up the engine.....

Admittedly, Honda engines are not for everyone. They are a bit high-strung in nature, calling on you to rev them harder to squeeze the juice out. But when you do, they usually reward you with that great “VTEC wooosh” of acceleration and downright wonderful sounds. These cars are usually screamers. And the RSX Type-S pretty much follows that principle. Except, the new engine features “iVTEC” for “intelligent valve-control system.” This new design allows for greater torque down low for use in around-town driving. The 200hp (142ft-lbs of torque) 2.0 liter 4-banger in the Type-S propelled the car from 0-60mph in only 6.1 seconds during the latest Car And Driver test. The “base” version of the RSX pumps out 160hp and 141ft-lbs of torque.

The melodic sounds of these new engines are more muted from behind the wheel of the RSX when compared to the old Integra. While you can still hear the powerplant urging you on, it sounds as if the engine is in another room. Again, not entirely a bad thing, its just the product of the RSX’s refinement.

Inside, the car gives you a feeling of refinement (lets count how many times I say that word in this article) versus the old ‘teg. Silver-ish accents help to brighten up an overall well designed interior. And I must say, “Damn those seats look great!” Attention was paid in making the front buckets better scaled for larger American drivers. An unfortunate offshoot of this is a downright tiny center console. It doesn’t even offer a center armrest....a big red check-mark in my book. The RSX also features an automatic climate control system and a Bose stereo with a cool “Richbass” woofer encircled by the weenie-wheel (aka spare tire).

Whenever you read a critic’s review of a vehicles exterior design, one must remember that looks are subjective. So take what I’m about to say next for what its worth. The new RSX looks “cute.” When I look at this car, I don’t say to myself, “Damn, that car looks like it’ll kick some ass!” Rather, it usually goes something like, “Ahh, what a purdy little car. I bet my sister would like it.” Well, maybe not exactly like that, but you get the picture. I’m not saying its an ugly car, far from it. The RSX just doesn’t exactly get my heart racing by looks alone. And because I have to say it at least once a paragraph, the look is more refined versus the last Integra.

If you haven’t gotten the idea yet, let me spell it out for you. The new RSX is more REFINED than the old Integra. Its smoother, more comfortable, yet more powerful. Our young Integra has all grown up. But it developed into a kick-ass front-wheel drive sports coupe, or hatch (or whatever you want to call it) that is very easy to live with for daily life. It has lost a bit of edge that the Integra had during its teenage years, but the car still knows how to have fun when you want to. And, perhaps, that is the most important factor.

Article is Copyright (c) Mike Cervantes
Photos are Copyright (c) American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:29 PM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Hey! There goes my maybe , future baby.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:42 PM   #3
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

I saw one the other day in Toronto, qutie refined from the integra, it looks sort of round and square while the RSX in more flowing and has less round spots.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Old 08-01-2001, 07:24 PM   #4
AF Mascot
For the Love of AF

This artcle is gets the AF Mascot's Genuine Seal of Approval :smoker2:
Old 08-02-2001, 04:47 PM   #5
civicsi12
AF Newbie

Pretty good article...
mike, have you written any other articles? if so where can read them?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:58 PM   #6
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 0805041605
god these things are fun to drive...
Old 08-03-2001, 09:02 AM   #7
G-Forces
Banned

I'm not a big honda fan but I can respect nice cars. I've driven a ITR and wasn't all that impressed. It took a little too long to get into the meaty part of the powerband. Too bad I never got a chance to drive it on the track.

Anyway, the RSX never really applealed to me, at first. After seeing it while I think I might take a test drive and check it out. Although I think it looks better in pictures.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
ScottieM3
AF Newbie

Cool

Was sketchy at first... picked up the Type-s.. now I'm crazy about it... definetly fun to drive!!
Old 08-03-2001, 01:31 PM   #9
Adam
AF Enthusiast

I love it. I hope to own one some day. It's my favorite car that I actually might be able to afford. I don't even have my license yet, but hopefully I can convince some family member to take me in one at the nearest Acura dealership.

I love the lights, the shape, the power, and especially the interior. I love the whole car!!! I went to Acura.com and looked at ever page w/ the RSX and even built my own, downloaded wallpapers, etc. etc. Now I have an RSX desktop and an RSX brochure. Nice to stare at all day.

I love this thing!!!

I also searched through the internet and found the best pictures of the RSX anywhere -- period. I'll post them when I get the chance.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:32 PM   #10
Adam
AF Enthusiast

oh yeah, just like paganizonda.com, i'm also gonna create a web site on it.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:26 PM   #11
Adam
AF Enthusiast

me again

I saw my first two two days ago. I want one more than ever. Much better in real life. All I saw was the rear. I guess that's the downside of minivans. Not that there is an 'upside.'
Old 08-07-2001, 07:35 PM   #12
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

It seems to look better everytime i see it........ i guess i'm gettin used to it
Old 08-21-2001, 03:26 AM   #13
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Integra has finally grown up.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:08 PM   #14
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Nice Car

Overall nice car, although I haven't driven one myself, I'm still kinda hesitant because of the way it looks. Almost like a Civic/Celica combination. And for that price... people... you might want to check out the Mercedes C Couple... just 5 horsepower away from the Type-S and it definitely has some nice luxurious features. Go to their site and see for your self!

I'm still planning to keep my GSR and work it... maybe consider an RSX when the R badge comes over. :flash:
Old 08-22-2001, 08:52 PM   #15
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Mercedes C-class? it costs alot more, it has worse performance, it's not even in the same category, why would you even bring that up?