Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Talon69 Send a message via MSN to Talon69 Send a message via Yahoo to Talon69
Ok guys i decided to take my motor out this winter!!

On a budget here, and there is nothing wrong with my motor, i just want to freshin it up,By the way that camshaft sensor was behind the camshaft pully!! So lets say i had 2 grand to play with, whats the best thing i could do to my motor? I am getting DSMLINK this winter, thats not in the motor budget. I did not get to the track before they closed for the winter with my upgrade turbo. So we go big next summer!!!! what can i do guys? Give me cheap websites if possible if you have suggestions on items Thank You

Eric
2006 Eclipse GT 6 speed MT (V6 3.8), mods so far- S Tech Springs, after market 18's, 2012 headlight Conversion, Greddy cat back exhaust, CAI, RRE Headers, Polyurethane Motor Mounts, NX Nitrous kit at 100 shot for now, RPM Window Switch, Triple Pod.
2003 Grand AM GT - official beater car for the winter lol
----------------------------------------------------
95 TSI AWD 13.732@98.396mph (T-25)
Now fully Modded engine with 3,560 miles on it.SOLD

Last edited by Talon69; 10-29-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Talon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Eclipse4ever
AF Regular

Re: Ok guys i decided to take my motor out t6his winter!!

So what horsepower are you looking to achieve. I mean if you wanna spend 2 grand on a motor you can make your car pretty fast. If you gonna run the 16G turbo I dont see the need to upgrade your internals or anything like that since : correct me if I am wrong but arent Eclipse engine famous for handling 500hp on stock internals . I assume you changed all the pulleys and upgraded the basic things for running your turbo correctly and efficiently.
If you want your car to be a speed demon, I would rebuild engine and possibly a more powerful turbo BUT with the gas prices today I dont know if you would wanna do that. Up to you man, either way you go though your car is still fast . Are you gonna put rims on the Talon or keep the stock ones on ?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottsee

You can test your skills with a bur bit and sander & give that 02 housing of yours a good port job. If you dont have a clutch yet, you might want to do that while its out of their. FP2 cams with an evo3 is a winning street setup.

If you have the time, get the head hot tanked, checked, and rebuilt w/new SBR or 3g lifters.. Maybe a Cometic HG & Arp studs??

If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a 7bolt 4g64 100mm crankshaft for around $50-$150. That crankshaft, Clevite Main/rods, used 1g rods w/arp fasteners, and weisco stroker piston and rings will set you back about. $800-900 bucks.. Of course you'll need to do some grinding for clearnce on the main caps, and should have the block hot tanked, checked, and reserficed. Not to mention have the crank pollished and rotating assembly w/fly ballanced. That will cost you an extra $300-500. A little exessive for an evo 16g, and probably not a great idea.

B-shaft elim will be a great idea. As well as any waterpump, belts, pullys, bushings, or otherwise pain in the ass things while the engine is in tha car.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
sganc4life_4
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sganc4life_4

screw gas prices, still 2.34 a gallon for premium here, I say stroke it and put a bigger turbo if u can
A lot, check progression thread - updated 3/27/10
Estimated completion date:
Soon lol
sganc4life_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Talon69 Send a message via MSN to Talon69 Send a message via Yahoo to Talon69

I just Bought this evo3 big 16g 4 months ago and it only has like 1,500 miles on it. I would like to keep running it, im sure i can hit low 12's with it easy with not to much in mods im guessing. Would love 11's. Yes the new clutch is on the way and rims also. Was not gonna pull motor but since my clutch is 3/4 shot, why not pull motor lol. So if the stock internals will hold the HP you say why not stay stock inside? Just refreshin and check for crankwalk!!! If i went that route i found a complete rebuild kit with new pistons and all, plus gaskets for $550 and they will give you 10 20 or 30 thousanths over if you want. But not sure on the stock kit tho. I knid of figure the head will cost me some money. But i have all winter to do this.

i am alsothinking about getting a personal loan if i cannot swing everything. I just got done paying my other personal loan off. I will have the motor out next weekend i hope, all depends on if i have to work overtime or not. I can post pics of my progress once i get started if you all wish?

Oh the stoker kits i have found so far cost a shit load of money, im not sure if i want to do that tho. Alot of other shit involved then.

Eric
2006 Eclipse GT 6 speed MT (V6 3.8), mods so far- S Tech Springs, after market 18's, 2012 headlight Conversion, Greddy cat back exhaust, CAI, RRE Headers, Polyurethane Motor Mounts, NX Nitrous kit at 100 shot for now, RPM Window Switch, Triple Pod.
2003 Grand AM GT - official beater car for the winter lol
----------------------------------------------------
95 TSI AWD 13.732@98.396mph (T-25)
Now fully Modded engine with 3,560 miles on it.SOLD
Talon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
ted_ex
AF Regular

I'm sure people get 500hp off stock internals, I'm just not sure that it's reliable. In fact, I'm sure it's not. If you're gonna rebuild the engine you should get the internals cryoed. Check out 300below.com. They have a lot of testimonials with some amazing results. I've never seen conclusive evidence that the stroker kit is worth the money or time to install it. I think having the internals balanced and better valve springs for higher revs would be a better use of time and money. There's probably more to it then just balancing and springs, but you get the idea.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
SLoe
AF Enthusiast

If you are going to keep the internals stock, I would tear the block down and measure the pistons before I ordered more. If they are not out of service spec, then don't bother replacing them. You don't gain much by boring the block either, unless the cylinders are out of tolerance. Take it to the machine shop and have them check all the clearances before you order any kind of kit. You will save your self time and money in the long run. You may only need to order the re-ring kit. I would spend my money on the head and cams, because other than making the rotating assembly lighter, or adding displacement (stroking) there is nothing you can do to the internals to gain much horsepower.

96 GST 5 spd.......(R.I.P.) smashed by a fallen tree
2001 Camaro SS 6 speed goodness!
SLoe is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic