Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
PDESORM
AF Newbie

engine overheat quick fix... manifold gasket shot.

Hey yall,
My 2004 Montana, 3.4 appeared to have blown the lower intake manifold gasket. Temp. gauge would red line after short trip. I'd bleed the cooling system and it would be OK for as long as the engine was warm.
No coolant in oil, no smoke, nothing. Just air in the cooling system. It's an old van, rusting and abused. Stopping every now and then along hte highway and bleeding the cooling system was becoming a pain in the ass.

So I got an idea. I had just bought a 1950s truck airhorn. It had a cable attached to a valve that the driver would pull to sound the horn. I removed the valve, and it fit EXACTLY in the opening for the bleeder valve on the passenger side of the cooling system. I extended the cable through the firewall and... when my van over heats, I pull the cable, releasing the air from the system and the temp. gauge drops back to normal!! Wish I'd thought of that before my girlfriend scrapped her Montana witht he same problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg montanavalve2s.jpg (272.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg montanavalves.jpg (222.5 KB, 11 views)
PDESORM is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6