Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

anybody see the new concepts?

i saw in hot rod mag this month some concepts the, trans am, cuda, and cougar. of them all i thought the trans am and the cougar looked best.
this is ... well something like the cougar. in the mag.
and one of the cuda... close to what is in the mag... this is based on the challenger concept. both look really cool to me.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: anybody see the new concepts?

I really like all these retro concepts; but some are obviously successful (Charger) and some have sales that really tank (the last Thunderbird)

I like the Cougar, but I think it's appeal will be limited by it's 2 door format. Sure the thought of a 4 door Cougar is a sacriledge (sp) but it would broaden its appeal, as the Charger has done.

There are so many performance 4 doors these days, I think some potential customers may not put up with a 2 door car.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

... i dunno. the way i break it down for why the charger ended up being a 4 door is because it was a large car to begin with... the cougar was basically an obese mustang... for instance my 73 is 3 in. longer then the mustang version and so many inches wider... a # i dont recall. so when i think of a full blown 4 door... yeah i dont think it would be right... but it would be cool if they worked in that "half door" that opens suicide. like on mazda's rx i think that would be cool. mostly because i always thought the cougar was a cut above mustang in creature comfort... and that extra little would be cool for getting out the back seat. another thing i think auto manufacturer's need to take into aspect is these cars were "pony" cars... smaller... and when you sit a mustang next to a charger there is a size difference... but if i recall the challenger is on the same platform as charger. which would make it about the same size ( it would appear bigger due to the fact its a 2 door and must take up that space) as the charger and 300c.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
phantomcobra
AF Newbie

Not likely they would build a Cuda. Cuda was Plymouth and Plymouth is gone. However, the Challenger (Cuda look alike) is very likely because Chrysler has nothing to compete with the Mustang. As for 4 doors or 2 doors, saying the 2 door won't be "tolerated" is nonsense. Look at the success of the Mustang for 40+ years. If you sat in the back seat of a Charger you might change your mind on the car being big! Yes, it appears big and it weighs WAYYYY too much but the car size didn't have a bearing on making a 4 door. It was more politics and sales. As for Cougar vs Mustang, it is a misconception that they were the "same". Cougar was supposed to be a step up from Mustang. They used similar engines but Cougar could get bigger ones sooner than Mustang. The main selling point was Cougar had more luxury features standard than Mustang.
04 Cavalier (auto, 4 door, 2.2L)
*seems like my engines keep getting smaller
phantomcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i do recall minor body differences too.. my cougar is 3 in longer and i think 3 in wider... but im not sure on the width... i do agree though that cougar was a step up.

i also wouldnt count out the cuda... im just goin on hopes and prior precident like how dodge bought amc for thier jeep way back in the day... and the not so distant past when the neon (or expresso... depending on the package) crossed from plymouth to dodge... ild really like to see a few others come out. maybe the fury, daytona < the big wing one, road runner, rivera (like the 65 ish,
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

I've heard it before, but can't see it myself. What is "retro" about the modern Charger? Except maybe the "slab sides"?

Don't count on 'Cuda. As another said, Plymouth is gone. Challenger may be okay. If they can extract more power from that "Hemi", AND build it with a manual transmission, it will be pretty quick. If they go with the Hemi as is, and no manual, the car will flop. Between getting beat AND replacing transmissions, nobody will want them.

Cougar was larger, heavier and "nicer" than Mustang. Same stance, I think (width between the wheels), longer wheelbase.

Camaro MAY return. Trans Am will probably not. Look for another "new" GTO for '09. This one will be built in North America, and will still be the quickest/fastest "sedan" out there. As long as the car gods are still smiling on it (GTO), it will NOT be retro... I know... I know... retro "sells". Maybe. But it doesn't make cars fast, and FAST is the ONLY thing GTO is about.

IMO

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i agree there, the charger is not a "retro" it would be following more of what the mustang and the camaro concept would be. i thought the charger came out prior to the new mustang... and pretty much the only thing it had in common with its car god predicessor is the name plate. although i would be curious to see if they could pull off a "daytona" w/ the nose cone, flip up lights... and yes the defining 3 foot wing. if dodge thinks about retroing the charger they should make slow subtle changes... maybe an old style hood, or revamping the interior. or even something under the hood like a modern day 6 pack would look cool.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical