Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
teenie
Geek Goddess

$400 a good deal?

I have come across an '80 BMW e21 320i (I believe) for about $400. The guy who owned it died a year and a half ago, and his wife has no clue what could be wrong with it, if anything, besides the gas tank. It's pretty much been started on a regular basis, but other than that hasn't been driven.

I know nothing of these cars...only I really, really like the looks of this one. Body wise, it appeared sounds...some minor rusting just under the rear window on the passenger side, and the motor looked "clean" (no leaking oil/other fluids). The interior was immaculate.

I really only hesitate to buy this 'cause I recently had to sell my '96 VW Jetta Trek for financial reasons, and am not in a position to throw money around (right away!)...but I LOVE THE LOOKS OF THIS CAR! Is there anything I should be leary of with this type? Or would I be totally ripping this poor lady off by "stealing" that car for $400?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Chrissy
teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW
Re: $400 a good deal?

teenie . . . . go for it ! ! !
Old 07-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW

check this out teenie . . .

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e21.html
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Bimmer9
AF Newbie

Yes, you may be ripping off that poor old lady. First of all, if the car is how you picture it, it means that the owner had pride in his BMW, and if you ever had a BMW you will know what I am talking about; no matter how old your car is. $400.00 is very cheap for a BMW that runs and looks great. Make sure you test drive it first and see how it runs. If it runs fine and seems to have no mechanical problems, then that car should be worth between $500-$700. Take into consideration that if the car has been sitting for a while you may end up spending more money on it to fix it aftewards. First of all, the gas pump needs to be lubricated by gasoline otherwise it will break. Also, the power steering seals may shrink and cause leaks--but this you can fix by bying sealant power steering fluid at the local auto parts store. In short, i think paying $400.00 seems to be adequate. Good luck!
Bimmer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

I love the looks of ours to! I finished restoring my '80 320is a year ago for my daughter [painted it Boxter yellow], have a '98
Z3 2.8, and some others. I was also working on them when they were new at the dealers [am I getting old or what].
now for an opinion. the rust you've seen is pretty common, also at the bottom of the 'B' pillars [between the windows]. BE SURE the body isn't too
rusted elsewhere ! !
It doesn't have 'power steering' to worry about.
These cars are nice and simple.
If it runs ok, shifts ok and stops ok, buy it, BUT
Have something set aside for immediate items.
IT WILL BE HELPFUL to find someone in your area
familiar with the car [ it's 24 yeqrs old don't forget]
and this knowledgible person will save you money in the long run.
Have it checked over, change the oil, coolant and brake fluid [avoid 'sleezy lube' jiffy places and they're 'special service deals!]
Have the rear fuel supply hoses to the fuel pump
checked, they get old and cracked and can leak both fuel and air which can cause all sorts of 'strange' symptoms.
I do love mine, and it's a 'looker' but I've also the advantage of doing all the work myself...best to you
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Mr. Beelzebub
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Beelzebub Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Beelzebub

Go and tell the lady that you have 350, show her the money cash. I bet she will take it, rip her ass off man, what is wrong with you? Someone is gonna buy that car at that price and quick.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series