Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
karnak4462
AF Newbie

95 Grand Am died

Hello everyone...I have a 1995 Grand Am with a Quad 4 that suddenly died while sitting in traffic. It just spit and sputtered like it was running out of gas and lost all electrical power. Seems like everything that powers on when ignition switch is on does not work, no power to starter, wipers, blower motor, radio, turn signals, and the like. Only things that do work are things not powered on by ignition switch like headlights, horn, dome light, etc. Naturally the battery is up and all fuses are good. Could this possibly be a bad ignition switch or a computer problem? I'm a pretty good mechanic but this has got me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...
karnak4462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 95 Grand Am died

A 20 year old Grand Am died... RIP, now get a different car. Seriously, even if you do figure out this issue, at this point in your Grand Am' s life, it will just be one problem after another. Mostly electrical problems of many different types, the frame and other parts of the underside will start to rot. The whole thing is going to fall apart, get rid of it. It will save you a lot of headaches the sooner you get rid of it.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
karnak4462
AF Newbie

Car only has 72K original miles, well kept and no rust, thats why I bought it. Besides, can't afford new car right now. Been running perfect for over a year now.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
liya_leacree
AF Regular

I only know the possible problem of batter, can you check it carefully? Hope you can solve it soon. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If the headlights are bright, battery should be ok....but check the battery cable connections, for ha-ha's making sure they are clean and tight....

Next, turn key to on and go to the fuse box.....check both sides of all fuses for power....if you have a series of fuses with no power to them(use a test light), it could be an ignition switch....

Check all grounds.....

Check for codes.....

Car does not crank with the key in the crank position? Do you hear a click? Can you manually rotate the engine? Then work your way backwards from the starter solenoid(purple wire), checking the circuit through the P/N switch(yellow wire) to the ignition switch for power with the key in the crank position....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
karnak4462
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info but I've tried most all that...headlights bright, no crank, no click, all connections good from what I can see.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnak4462 View Post
Car only has 72K original miles, well kept and no rust, thats why I bought it. Besides, can't afford new car right now. Been running perfect for over a year now.
Well, that's a little bit of good news, at least when you do fix it, you can sell it. Seriously, you don't want a 95 grand am in your life as time goes on, you'll find yourself in this situation over and over even with just 75k miles.
Just don't tell that to the buyer...
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
karnak4462
AF Newbie

Still trying to figure this out. Was under car checking out wiring to starter and found a suspicious wire. See pic attached. Is this just a splice or possibly a fusible link? This wire comes from the battery to the starter solenoid. And yes I noticed the red wire with the insulation scraped but no evidence of burning or breakage, that I can fix.Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1011151435a-1-1.jpg (159.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
karnak4462
AF Newbie

The Grand Am lives again. Found it to be a fusible link at the starter. $2.69 fix at Auto Zone. Thanks everyone for your help. Good thing I didn't scrap the car over $2.69 huh MikeCStig...
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #10
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnak4462 View Post
The Grand Am lives again. Found it to be a fusible link at the starter. $2.69 fix at Auto Zone. Thanks everyone for your help. Good thing I didn't scrap the car over $2.69 huh MikeCStig...
Ok... well done and congratulations, but I would still recommend caution and being prepared for future issues. The Pontiac Grand Am (of any year) doesn't exactly have a reputation for consistent reliability.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM