Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #1
kenneyd
AF Newbie

96 D16y7 in 94 civic D15b7

I've got a 96 D16y7 engine, that I am going to put in my 94 civic(d15b7). What parts can I use off the d15b7 on the d16y7 in order to keep it OBD1. Can I use the intake, distributer, and other items. I want to keep it OBD1 for turbo. If I could use all the parts off the d15 i will, just dont want to go OBD2. I know I may have to rewire somethings, but at least it will be OBD1. Any help will be GREAT. thanks...
kenneyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Force_Fed_Hatch
AF Newbie

use your intake and throttle body...your distributor and your fuel injectors. u wont have to alter ur wiring at all. if there are extra sensors on the y7 you dont have, just leave them. i put a d16y7 into a 90 crx, used my existing harness, and had no codes...
Force_Fed_Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
What I'd do is just use an OBD1 ECU since that's what determines how if it's OBD1 or 2 in the first place. Ask around on here to find out exactly which ECU you'd want to use to do this with.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Force_Fed_Hatch
AF Newbie

if his car is a 94, it already has an obd1 ecu....thats not the only difference. obd1 and obd2 wiring harnesses have different plugs. by changin out the intake, throttle body, distributor and injectors, his existing wiring harness will match up....since they are all obd1 parts. and they all will bolt to the y7 head.
if ya dont know what ur talkin about, dont post. all u do is confuse ppl
Old 10-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
kenneyd
AF Newbie

Re: 96 D16y7 in 94 civic D15b7

Done the swap about 2 months ago, and thanks for all your help. I used the complete intake(with new gasket), the alternator, and distributor. I also used some pipe(I dont know what it is called) but it is right under the intake. It has two water lines on it(d15b7) and the d16y7 only had one. If i remember right, it is hooked up to the thermostat housing, because i had to remove it in order to get the pipe out. But it was very simple. After i finished, the car had more low end get up, but it seem to me the d15b7 had more top end. But it's all good. the d15 was tired, and the d16 only had 50,000 miles on it, and its in top shape.
kenneyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #6
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force_Fed_Hatch
if his car is a 94, it already has an obd1 ecu....thats not the only difference. obd1 and obd2 wiring harnesses have different plugs. by changin out the intake, throttle body, distributor and injectors, his existing wiring harness will match up....since they are all obd1 parts. and they all will bolt to the y7 head.
if ya dont know what ur talkin about, dont post. all u do is confuse ppl
Excuse me, but I don't see anything confusing here on what I posted from anyone. I have a D16Y7 motor myself and completely know what I'm talking about. There's different ways to go about doing this swap, and swapping out all those goodies ain't the only way it can be done.

Also, weather you think I'm right or wrong, your last sentance there is uncalled for and WILL NOT be tolerated towards ANY member here on AF. Thanks for your time.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 PM   #7
Force_Fed_Hatch
AF Newbie

so how many other ways are there to do it.... that way was the simplest...everything plugs right up....just changin the ecu wont work. yeah he could have used all the y7 parts, and then would have had to use the y7 harness, which the obd2 harness wont plug into an obd1 ecu. so get the obd2 ecu and then the body harness wouldnt have matched. so realy, i dont think you know what the hell ur talkin about. even if you have a d16y7. u probly know nothin about it. there was nothin wrong with my last sentence either......and ill say it again...if ya dont know what ur talkin about........dont act like ya do

HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job on the swap by the way

Move B|t¢h!!!! Get out tha way!!!!!....
Old 10-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force_Fed_Hatch
so realy, i dont think you know what the hell ur talkin about. even if you have a d16y7. u probly know nothin about it. there was nothin wrong with my last sentence either......and ill say it again...if ya dont know what ur talkin about........dont act like ya do

LMAO, shows what you THINK you know about me. I can school many on here about D-series motors. And I can bet you all the $$$ in the world, the folks at ALTernative Honda can school you back to the shop on a D-series motor. But that's besides the point. That's why I refered him to that site since I didn't know as much about it as I would have liked to help him with. I've never done an OBD 2 -> 1 swap, but I can guarantee you I know my D16 motor inside out! Heck, I've done EVERY single mode to my car that's bee done to it. If you don't know, no you know. Don't mouth off to people you know NOTHING about, period! Consider this thread closed.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Civic71629
AF Newbie

I just did the sane swap but I got no spark any ideas??????
Civic71629 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV