Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
mani510
AF Newbie

Unhappy timing

hi guys just wanted to know that i have legend 93 n when i step on gas it ratteles for sec n then runs smooth and this is my dads car he had never replaced the timing belt, the car has 107000 miles on it so would replacing the timing belt will fix the problem or i have to do something else plz help me out and u guys know any place where they cleans up the carbon build up in the engine thanks
mani510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
csieminski
AF Regular

REPLACE THE TIMING BELT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to be harsh, but if it breaks (or even skips a sprocket!), the engine will be ruined and your car therefore useless (the pistons will hit the valves, which will bend, and you'll need new valves and pistons and pretty much a rebuild of your current engine or a new engine all together--$X,XXX.

On most cars, timing belt replacement is on between a 60,000 and 75,000 mile cycle. On some cars, it can be as low as 50,000. My 1990 Legend requires it at 90,000-mile intervals, but that's the longest I've ever heard of. Some cars have a timing chain (like my 535i), and they don't need to be replaced, or can go extremely long intervals between replacement.

Belt change on my Legend cost over $700, but would you rather pay for that or pay to replace a lunched engine?

Regarding carbon buildup, many places (Jiffy Lube, even gas stations) can do a fuel injector cleaning which should help a lot. If you are using premium gasoline like the car requires, that's good because most brands include additives in their premiums that remove these buildups. You can also buy "fuel injection cleaners" at gas stations for $3-5 that you can pour in once in a while.
csieminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
mani510
AF Newbie

Re: timing

thanks for u info buddy well one question why my car is rough in first 2 seconds when i step on gas...thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
csieminski
AF Regular

I'm not a mechanic, and so I can't give you a solid diagnosis on the problem, but carbon buildup/dirty fuel injectors could be the culprit, as you said. Does your car idle OK? My old BMW 528e had a problem idling without stalling--engine would start to die, then rev up, fall back down, rev up, etc. That turned out to be a vacuum leak. But if your car idles OK, that's probably not the issue.

It sounds like your problem is referred to as "hesitation"--i.e. you're stopped or coasting slowly, and when you press the gas, there's no response for a beat before the car takes off. If so, I'd look into cleaning your fuel injection system. Still, talk to a mechanic to get some real advice.

And change your timing belt.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 AM   #5
mani510
AF Newbie

Smile

thanks buddy u have solved my problem i replaced the timing belt, cleaned fuel injectors, replaced fuel filter so now my car runs like new thanks for helping me out
Old 07-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
csieminski
AF Regular

Great! Glad I could help.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:08 AM   #7
smartjay28
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to smartjay28
Re: timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani510
hi guys just wanted to know that i have legend 93 n when i step on gas it ratteles for sec n then runs smooth and this is my dads car he had never replaced the timing belt, the car has 107000 miles on it so would replacing the timing belt will fix the problem or i have to do something else plz help me out and u guys know any place where they cleans up the carbon build up in the engine thanks
the rattleing is prob your heat shield. get that check, and its ok to remove,alot of the other owners did it(acura-legend.com).

and i got my timing belt chanegd around 130K. some ppl went more and some ppl went less.
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ht=timing+belt

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL