Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
View Poll Results: How is this gonna turn out?
Goooood! 0 0%
Great! 4 44.44%
Excellent! 2 22.22%
Awesome! 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:43 PM   #76
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

Since I have nothing to do until the SAS kit arrives, I painted the headlights. According to the instructions, Im supposed to paint the border with Tamiya's Smoke, but I thought it would look bad with yellow and red...so I painted them red too - I thought it would look cool with the fire decals around the headlights. By the way, I should get the decals and the kit on Mon or Tue.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:54 PM   #77
86_SR5
AF Fanatic

Re: -=And so it begins: 350Z streetDRAGON=-

That's cool, but I'm not so sure how camel yellow and red will mix.
VENGEANCE IS MINE
SAYETH THE LORD
NO FEAR
Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #78
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Did you know that the colors yellow and red are incorporated into food packaging because they subconsiously make you hungry? Your car's making me feel it. Think McDonald's is open this time of night?

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:11 AM   #79
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
Did you know that the colors yellow and red are incorporated into food packaging because they subconsiously make you hungry? Your car's making me feel it. Think McDonald's is open this time of night?
Haha....yeah I knew about that. Red and yellow will look great on my car, I know - I'm very good at commercial/graphic design (got 3 awards)
Old 12-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #80
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

Just got the package from eHobbies - the yellow paint, 8000 grit, and some sandpapers. I've asked them to add a polishing compound and they said they will, but for some reason it wasn't in the box!
Looks like the paint job won't be the best...

If you guys want, you can send me a piece of 12000 grit to polish the paint, I would really appreciate it. PM me for address.

Today, I'll paint the wing. If I get the SAS kit today, I'll put the first 2 coats of primer.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:08 PM   #81
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

NEWS

Checked the mail and guess what! The SAS kit is there, the decals sheet is there, and a check for $1000 from my grandparents is there! Hehe...

Anyway, the decals look AWESOME! Very good quality, and 3 sets of em! Bedlam Creations did them for me...thx to whoever recommended them. If you need custom decals, go to them. They will even design them for you, you just give them an idea of what you want.

The SAS kit is awesome!. High quality...requires very little work to get them ready. But I'm gonna make it look good in the end. I will try to get them ready and glue them on today so it's dry tomorrow.

Last edited by Artem1985il; 12-08-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #82
86_SR5
AF Fanatic

The graphix look awesome. Low quality, from SAS??? Really??? Chris been slacking off huh?
VENGEANCE IS MINE
SAYETH THE LORD
NO FEAR
Old 12-08-2003, 04:34 PM   #83
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

I need some decals done, do you have a link or something.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #84
chrismcgee
WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK

LOW QUALITY my ass, dont slag off chris's products because of your inexperience.
all they require is a little bit of scalpel work to trim off the excess flashing. resin is an extremely difficult substance to work with and i doubt you can understand the complexaties of it.
I have built many of his kits and so have many others. the only thing that separates sas from tamiya is the budget, chris creates excellent hand crafted peices that tamiya use computers to create.
Please amend your previous comments.

i dont mean to flame but do research b4 slamming his work, you could put customers off from dumb comments that are un justified.

WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK
Old 12-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #85
Zwaag
AF Enthusiast

nice car, but dont diss Chris, or you'll get your asked kicked- J/K

But seriosly, have you ever worked with resin before? I think it always needs a little work
Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 PM   #86
slk320
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to slk320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem1985il
NEWS

Checked the mail and guess what! The SAS kit is there, the decals sheet is there, and a check for $1000 from my grandparents is there! Hehe...

Anyway, the decals look AWESOME! Very good quality, and 3 sets of em! Bedlam Creations did them for me...thx to whoever recommended them. If you need custom decals, go to them. They will even design them for you, you just give them an idea of what you want.

The SAS kit was pretty disappointing. Low, low quality...requires tons of work before I can attach them. But I'm gonna make it look good in the end. I will try to get them ready and glue them on today so it's dry tomorrow.
This is not true at all. I am presuming that you have never worked with resin transkits before this and therefore do not have an extensive knowledge on the topic, but SAS kits are actually top notcha nd require "minimum" clean up. Every resin part, from most major manufacturers requires some clean up, mold release lines, injection marks, resin "film" etc, and require cleaning as well, to relieve of mold agent.

SAS kit offers a close-to-exact fit, unique subject matter and minimum clean up, which ranks them highly among resin trans kit manufacturers. They have resin reinforcement tabs, mounting tabs, all the openings are molded open and all the extras that you do not usually see with trans kits, so I consider their quality top notch.

Just trying to help people make good decision without relying on negative comments from inexperienced users. Once you mount the kit on your model you will see how high of qulaity Chris's kits are. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #87
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
Decals look great! not my style of design but whatever floats your boat, and i think the dragon style theme will suit this cars lines very nicely,

The SAS kit looks pretty dam good to me, I see 0 air bubbles, and a bit of flash, nothing an exacto knife and some sand paper cant fix.

SAS kits are "THE SHIT" of Resin transkits, every one of the SAS kits i have seen have had NO air bubles, NO fitment problems, Non of the parts were broken or cracked or innacurate, the only thing is the excess flash, but thats not a biggy.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #88
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugZilla
I need some decals done, do you have a link or something.
http://www.bedlamcreations.com/

Progress report:

The SAS kit turned out to be great, took only a little xacto and sandpaper work to prepare them. The cutting out of the original parts was HELL! I had to use xacto... I've only cut out the hood and that took me 35 min and 2 cuts (1 pretty deep one). The SAS hood fit almost perfectly (after 15 min of 'fitting' with xacto and sandpaper). I used suepr glue to attach the hood...my fingers stuck to the car while I was holding it all together...rippin' em off was more painful than the cuts.

I will start cutting off the front bumper tomorrow morning and try to put the first coat of primer in the evening.

Meanwhile, I've partially painted the wing with Camel Yellow. The alluminum 'attach things' will be in silver (X-11) and the 'side things' will be red or black.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:24 PM   #89
86_SR5
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: -=And so it begins: 350Z streetDRAGON=-

cool, yeah I've had bad cuts before. but ripping superglue hurts more.
VENGEANCE IS MINE
SAYETH THE LORD
NO FEAR
Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #90
Artem1985il
AF Enthusiast

Here's a pic of the car while I was trying to cut out the hood. I made those scratches after cutting myself with the exacto...damn thing!

Now, both the hood and the front bumper are attached to the body, fits pretty well. I will sand off the glue tomorrow and prime the body.

Having some trouble with the wing...it looked great after painting the middle part with the body color. But after I tried to spray paint the side edges red, it got ugly - the paint leaked on the yellow... I've covered the leaks with a thick layer of the yellow, and try to fix it all tomorrow...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street