Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #16
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
So then why do a lot of drag racers have 13" rims instead of 26" rims?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 AM   #17
damir831
Banned

Send a message via AIM to damir831
13???? What what, I'm missing something. If it's rwd, they usually have the huge tires in the back, fwd they have them in the front. What do you mean 13???? Are you talking about the front tires in rwd ones? Because the power is sent to the rear tires (the bigger ones) Is that what you were asking? The rims might be small, but they add so much tire to that rim to make the diameter bigger.

Plus, I wasn't talking about the car having a faster launch, I was talking about the top speed that will change.

And also, if you're gonna have 30 inch rims and tires of whatever, you need the power to back it up.

RWD

FWD

The tires that the power is sent to are bigger. And like I was saying, the main thing is the diameter of rim and tire combined. Those rims might be 16 or 17's but once you add the tire, the diameter get's a lot bigger. And my guess is, the reason the tire is huge and not the rim is because they burn so much rubber.

But in any sports car, you will notice that 2 tires are bigger (mostly the rear ones)

Now let's not get off topic. My question was, if you can trick the computer by getting bigger wheels (bigger diameter)
damir831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 AM   #18
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
Re: Bigger wheel = Higher speeds?

no it isnt even logically possible because your dx probably cant handle itself above the speed govenor anyway. but there is no logical way that geting bigger rims makes your car go faster.

i had 14 inch stock wheels and then bought 17's believe me setting the two tires side by side, the 17's with the tires are actually only about 1/2 inch taller if that.

u seem to not realize still that u get bigger rims the profile of the tire decreases to compensate for the bigger rim. not sure why u dont understand this concept, but therefore they are only traveling about 2 inches farther, its not like feet like u say it is, have u ever seen 17 inch rims, look at the profile size of the tire compared to your stock tires,

once again 17 inch rims and tires= tire profile is about 1 inch or so, as compared to the 3 inch profile of stock tires.

DO YOU GET IT YET???????????????????????

done ranting

www.fotki.com/esp

THIS OG IS GONE retired for good. peace yall. create a crew for me
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:34 AM   #19
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

I guess you could get 13" rims for a RWD dragster for the front tires. I could be completely wrong, but it would certainly help with weight-reduction. 13" rims from Weld Racing, for example, only weigh 7 lbs each.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:35 PM   #20
damir831
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepeug
I guess you could get 13" rims for a RWD dragster for the front tires. I could be completely wrong, but it would certainly help with weight-reduction. 13" rims from Weld Racing, for example, only weigh 7 lbs each.

Yes, it looks like they're using bike tires or whatever those are.

I do understand the concept that the tire get's smaller, but like I said, I just lined just the 17's up right against the 13's with tires, and they're almost the same size. Now, are you saying low profiles are less than an inch?

Just go to that link that I posted, I mean you can't argue with those people, can you? I'm not saying the dx engine can handle 140, but if it did, that would be one of the way to get a higher speed, obviously. No matter what, the new diameter will be bigger than my old one because just the rim is as big as the whole diameter of the tire and rim combined on the old one. So add the tire to it, maybe an inch, maybe more So at this point, I end this discussion.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #21
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
Re: Re: Bigger wheel = Higher speeds?

the overall height of the rims and tires for 17's and 13's are almost the same, the profile of the tire is decreased, measure the sidewall of your stock tire it will be like 3 inches, then with 17's tires the sidewall is only like an inch or so, therefore keeping the overall height almost the same as stock, therefore it will not trick your speedometer, like i posted before it will show u are going 57 or whatever when u are going 60.

now that is the end of the dicussion or do u want me to explain it somemore, cause at this point i think a 10 year old could practically figure this out, figureatively speaking

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 10-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #22
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
ok...

I have a little info here I just scraped it off of the Tirerack website.

*the correct tire for your stock DX 13" rims 175/70/13

*the diameter for that tire will be about 22.7", the rotations per mile will be about 930

*the correct tire size for 17" rims on your DX 205/40/17

*the diameter for this tire will be about 23.4", and the rotations per mile about 870

note:
all tires are slightly different as far as diameter and revs per mile, EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE. different brand tires are not going to be indentical in size

damir, I'm sorry but putting 17's on your car will not make a 10 mph difference in your speedometer. it just wont. yes, there will be a slight difference, quite possibly a few miles an hour but you will never see 10. in theory though, you are right. if you have a high powered car that is being held down by a governor, by putting larger diameter tires on it you are basically tricking the governor into thinking you aren't going as fast as you really are. BUT, in your DX civic the chances of putting on a larger tire and squeezing out an extra 10 miles an hour and slim and none

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Miataracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:01 PM   #23
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

now THAT is the end of the discussion

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Old 10-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #24
esp
AF Fanatic

thanks for seeing my perspective cause i was gettin sick of explaining this same thing over and over again

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 10-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #25
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

i agree totally... if he doesn't believe now then he never will

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Old 10-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #26
esp
AF Fanatic

yep some people are just unwilling to understand some stuff.

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 10-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #27
damir831
Banned

Re: Re: Bigger wheel = Higher speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp
i doubt that this is true, most likely not possible, think about it, if i put 20 inch rims with the wrong size tires, and i throw my speedo off do u really think that i might magically somehow be able to go 170 in a stock civic???????
lol do you realize what you're saying? Miata, you're right, but he said that I'd be going 57 when the speedometer is showing 60??? Didn't you just say that I'd be going faster than the speedometer?

Thanx
Old 10-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #28
esp
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Bigger wheel = Higher speeds?

read what i typed again:

"like i posted before it will show u are going 57 or whatever when u are going 60."

that is cut and pasted from my post (number 21) key word is that it will SHOW u are going 57 when u ARE goin 60.

sir u just owned yourself, one of the first times in af history

www.fotki.com/esp

Old 10-03-2003, 03:14 PM   #29
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

This is getting ridiculous. I think we all got the info we were looking for. No need to drag it out.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #30
damir831
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bigger wheel = Higher speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp
read what i typed again:

"like i posted before it will show u are going 57 or whatever when u are going 60."

that is cut and pasted from my post (number 21) key word is that it will SHOW u are going 57 when u ARE goin 60.

sir u just owned yourself, one of the first times in af history

lol you're right, I misread what you said that first time. So i could be expecting to go between 125 and 130 when the speedometer is showing 120. Thanx for all the answers.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV