Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Wags391
10-year Owner

Distributors, coils, wires, etc.

I'm looking to replace my distributor, wires, and coil possibly. What are your opinions on which brand is best to go with? I like the MSD distributor 8367. You thoughts??

92 s10 Blazer, 4x4, 4.3 L TBI

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Edelbrock 3713 for the TBI engines??
Wags391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Distributors, coils, wires, etc.

What problems are you having with the original manifold and distributor?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Wags391
10-year Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
What problems are you having with the original manifold and distributor?
I'm not having any problems with the manifold, but I've heard the Edelbrock version for the TBI 4.3s is better.

I've been getting a code 43 and I did the flowchart testing from my shop manual for that code. I came to the conclusion that the rotating pole pieces and shaft assembly, essentially the entire distributor, needs replacing due to the rotating pole piece not staying magnetized. I check the resistance of the pick-up coil and found it to be in spec, which it should be since I replaced it just this last summer. I need to wires, cap, and a rotor also, so I figured I'd go for the whole ignition system (Dist, cap, rotor, wires, and possibly coil). Your thoughts?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Along with what you already found with the distributor, the bushings can and do wear which will cause misfires, and reduce fuel economy and performance. Check with your local auto parts store for the price and availibility of a remanufactured or new distributor, (stay away from rebuilts). You'll be pleasantly surprised at the price difference compared to the MSD too. As far as the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs, use AC Delco ONLY on the 4.3L engine. When it comes to spark plug wires, Autolite Professional Series have the best specifications of any manufacturer, and at a lower cost too. Unless the ignition coil fails the resistance tests, it should be fine. Standard OEM coils are more than adequate to do the job. Provided the cap, rotor, plugs and wires are good, "High performance" coils serve no purpose other than drain your wallet.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Wags391
10-year Owner

Quote:
Along with what you already found with the distributor, the bushings can and do wear which will cause misfires, and reduce fuel economy and performance. Check with your local auto parts store for the price and availibility of a remanufactured or new distributor, (stay away from rebuilts). You'll be pleasantly surprised at the price difference compared to the MSD too. As far as the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs, use AC Delco ONLY on the 4.3L engine. When it comes to spark plug wires, Autolite Professional Series have the best specifications of any manufacturer, and at a lower cost too.
Thanks for the advice. I know the MSD stuff is more expensive, but do you think along with other MSD products it's worth it? Why do you say AC Delco only? I hear that a lot, and though I don't disagree, I don't know why.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Normal coil output voltage while the engine is running, is approximately 7Kv to 10Kv. The OEM coil is capable of producing upwards of 40Kv. Why spend money on something that you'll never need?

AC Delco has something up on all the cap manufacturers... what it is, only AC Delco knows, but they perform better and outlast every other brand. The rotor terminal air gap is much closer on the AC Delco caps and rotors reducing voltage necessary to jump the gap and that also reduces radio noise. When replacing the distributor cap and rotor, always put a small dab of silicone dielectric on each terminal, inside and out, of the distributor cap.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Wags391
10-year Owner

Quote:
Normal coil output voltage while the engine is running, is approximately 7Kv to 10Kv. The OEM coil is capable of producing upwards of 40Kv. Why spend money on something that you'll never need?

AC Delco has something up on all the cap manufacturers... what it is, only AC Delco knows, but they perform better and outlast every other brand. The rotor terminal air gap is much closer on the AC Delco caps and rotors reducing voltage necessary to jump the gap and that also reduces radio noise. When replacing the distributor cap and rotor, always put a small dab of silicone dielectric on each terminal, inside and out, of the distributor cap.
Ok I here ya on this. What about wires?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

When it comes to spark plug wires, Autolite Professional Series have the best specifications of any manufacturer, and at a lower cost too.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance