Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
mhrdrummer
AF Newbie

I need advice about transmission problems

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT with almost 91,000 miles on it. I am noticing some problems with the transmission at least I believe its the transmission. The engine light comes on every once in awhile it's not all the time. When the transmission starts to act up I start to hear some grinding noise coming from the engine. I do not hear this all the time though, this is also every once in awhile. Usually when I start hearing the grinding noises it also shifts hard. When the car is in park I hear the grinding, when the car is in Reverse its shifts hard into that gear and I also hear grinding, when I put it in neutral I don't hear any grinding and it does not shift hard, when I put it into drive its slams into drive to the point that it shakes the car it is that forceful and it also gives a grinding noise. Keep in mind that it does not shift like this all the time only when I hear grinding noises. I've also noticed burning rubber smell after I get done driving. I've check the tires and they seem to be fine. I've also had my transmission fluid checked and its full.

I took my car to Autozone to have the code looked up everytime that engine light came on. Everytime that I took it to Autozone to have the code looked up I keep getting this code. Troubleshooting P0961. The definition; is line pressure control (PC) solenoid system. Explanation; The PC solenoid valve duty cycle reached its maximum or minimum limit. Probable cause; open or short circuit condition, poor electrical connection, faulty line pressure control (PC) solenoid.

I just need some education on what all this means with the solenoid system and how much is going to cost to repair this. I do not want to be spending thousands of dollars if that's what it sounds like to get this car fixed. Mainly because I don't have that kind of money. The only thing that AutoZone told me that the solenoid system has to do with my transmission. It could just be a part or the whole thing could be going bad. Is there any way to tell without getting in the engine because I can't afford to get it looked at to find out?

I appreciate any answers I can get regarding this.
mhrdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: I need advice about transmission problems

Any percieved slippage in the trans will make the pcm try to compensate by going to full pressure to try and save the trans. So either the unit is failing or the solenoid is bad, usually the solenoid is the problem. The pan should be pulled to look for clutch material, if ok and a full diagnositic is run on the trans and it seems ok, then the solenoid should be replaced.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6