Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #106
quaddriver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to quaddriver Send a message via MSN to quaddriver Send a message via Yahoo to quaddriver
Re: Re: Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
Any motor that runs on synthetic will out-last any motor run on Dino oil.
define outlast?

for perhaps ALL 'civilian' car/truck owners, syn oil brings nothing to the table. when is the last time you have ever heard of 'engine failure due to oil' and 'dodge' wasnt on the nameplate?
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #107
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: Oil

I'd say Every time that I see a worn out chevy cam shaft (often) or every time that I see fried bearings in Fords (not quite as often). Synthetic oil helps prevent these things from wearing out.

It seems to me that I see less Dodge engines with problems than either Ford or Chevy... although there aren't that many dodge's around where I live.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:43 AM   #108
quaddriver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to quaddriver Send a message via MSN to quaddriver Send a message via Yahoo to quaddriver
The 70's are over (the last time a soft chevy cam has been encountered) and ford uses such huge greedy oil passages they never lose bearings. As I said, engine failures due to oil just dont happen, even on ones baked to death.

Each engine rebuild I do I return the bearings to the customer to explain what was found. Unless something really bad happened like drove the engine with water in the crank, even bearings worn thru the lead and copper are usually within allowable tolerance and unless metal filings were put in the oil, the cranks are typically good to go for street uses.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #109
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver
The 70's are over (the last time a soft chevy cam has been encountered) and ford uses such huge greedy oil passages they never lose bearings. As I said, engine failures due to oil just dont happen, even on ones baked to death.

Each engine rebuild I do I return the bearings to the customer to explain what was found. Unless something really bad happened like drove the engine with water in the crank, even bearings worn thru the lead and copper are usually within allowable tolerance and unless metal filings were put in the oil, the cranks are typically good to go for street uses.
Guess you haven't hearn of the 6.0L Ford Power Stroke Diesel that love to shear crap oil down to nothing and destroy main bearings at the slightest lack of proper lubrication.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM   #110
OverBoardProject
Banned

I wish that you could explain my blazers old motor with just 4 years since the last re-build before the cam packed it in... plus the bearings were on their last legs. Although I didn't own it then and I'm not sure how it was taken care of.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #111
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
I wish that you could explain my blazers old motor with just 4 years since the last re-build before the cam packed it in... plus the bearings were on their last legs. Although I didn't own it then and I'm not sure how it was taken care of.
You talking to me?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:06 PM   #112
quaddriver
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Guess you haven't hearn of the 6.0L Ford Power Stroke Diesel that love to shear crap oil down to nothing and destroy main bearings at the slightest lack of proper lubrication.
Nope. I haven't.

But destroying bearings because of LACK of lubrication should go under the 'duhhhhh' category.

what did my first post here say? change the oil with manu recommended blah blah blah.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #113
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chcknugget

Can anyone verify the diesel flush?

Hahahaha BlazerLT and atomicpulse... "It is about people polluting the environment." Since when do Canadians care about the environment? You just truck your trash into michigan anyways...
chcknugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #114
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver
Nope. I haven't.

But destroying bearings because of LACK of lubrication should go under the 'duhhhhh' category.

what did my first post here say? change the oil with manu recommended blah blah blah.
I never said lack of oil, I said lack of proper lubrication. Just because there is oil in there doesn't mean it is properly lubricating the system.

Just out of curiosity, what is the recommended change interval quaddriver?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10