Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
crazy_ss
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to crazy_ss
ls/vtec how about a f22/vtec

ok, i may sound stupid for saying this but there is alot of talk about doing a ls/vtec hybrid. In one case scenario, there was some editor from a popular magazine saying something about a type R alternative. which was the 1.8 liter b18a and d16 heads were being put together. I know some of the engine parts were interchangeable so that's why it worked.

Vtec has to do with the heads right? Anyway that particular hybrid made more torque and power than the integra type r, with about 2,000 dollars less than a type r engine. Amazingly enough I thought why not take my f22a and try to turn that into a vtec screaming monster.

so how bout it folks? do you think this will ever work, could strenuous work be done to make a vtec head that can jump on a f22a. Hopefully this project would cost less than the h22a. If this can happen and it's cheaper than the h22a. than I'll do it. And if it doesn't work. then why won't this work? I am open to all possibilites. Thanks for taking the time to read this>
crazy_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #2
cybercrx00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cybercrx00 Send a message via Yahoo to cybercrx00
now tell me exactly how you put a 1.8L head on a d16.......if you could tell me that i'd do it in a heart beat......plus there is an f22 vtec engine already out......but a b18 head on a d16 i really gotta see
cybercrx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:49 PM   #3
VTEC_boi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VTEC_boi
putting a B series head...on a D series block...?

umm...yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh....

The magazing you read...the writer was :bandit:

Yes....VTEC happens in the cylinder head.

www.sweetcarz.com
The South Carolina link (silver Accord w/ SOUTH CAROLINA written in green over it) is where you can go to find a great tech article on VTEC (in the TECH section)

peace out

Original PH Member (Reppin' for original PH'ers!)

www.lunspeed.com
www.jdmcivic.com
www.sweetcarz.com

VTEC_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Someguy
I think he meant to say a B16A head on a B18 block. The "poor man's Type R". I guess you miss out on the oil squirters if you use a LS block though.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the F22 hybrid... I'll check it out, unless some one beats me to it.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

Well, I'm too tired to read though it, but this may help, or if not its probably pretty interesting anyway:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ar...pdf/hybrid.pdf
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 PM   #6
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

all i know is that the ls/vtec is a ls block with a b16 head.....and i think it would be pretty cool for a hybrid f22......like a h22 head on it.....that would be sorta cool......i also hear about the b20 alot now.....the b20 block with b18c5 components (pistons, rods, etc).......that's pretty cool......but one thing i still want to see is a s2000 motor swap.....i know places sell s2000 motors for like 9k!......i think marcos acosta is building up a turbo s2k.......that' would be sweeeeet......

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

You're going to have a hell of a time putting a H head on a F block. There's a reason they start with different letters...

The S2000 swap is also a hard one since its designed to be a rwd motor while everything else is fwd. I'm sure some one will do it just for the hell of it, but for $9k you'd be better off building... whatever.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Someguy
but for $9k you'd be better off building... whatever.
a mustang?

The S2000 engine is actualy from the same family as the new Integra (RSX) engine and the Civic Type-R (Si) engine. So swaping it into one of these is quite a fessible option.
(and I think would put just slightly over the edge of the power limit in a street driven FWD car )
Old 01-19-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

even if it was similar engines, wouldn't it be difficult to make it a rwd?.......if you started from the ground up for a purpose built racecar...then maybe it wouldn't be that hard.....i don't know.....but i'd rather build up a b16,b18,h22 or something like that for 9000 dollars. ...... that's NOT including installation either.....daamn

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 11:32 PM   #10
swoosher21
AF Newbie

i dont think it would be worth payin the money to make the f22 a vtec unless its stock. mine is vtec in my 94 accord ex, but thats stock. it would be better to just do the h22 swap because there are many options for creating more power (turbo, supercharger, pistons, rods........) unless you want everything custom on your f22. yeah, you could do the pistons and rods on the f22, but the motor wasn't designed to be a "vtec screamer".
pioneer 45x4 head unit
pioneer 4way 6x9's
pioneer 3way 6 1/2's
B&M Short Shifter
AEM CAI
GReddy 4-2-1 two piece stainless header
GReddy EVO cat back
Enkei 17" CDR9's (soon to be some RH M7000's)
Toyo Proxes F-Z4 215/45 17 low pros
Apex-i WS full coilovers
swoosher21 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical