Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
Qwk200SXSE
AF Newbie

Any Fox owners??? I need help!!!

Greetings All,

I've recently acquired an '89 Fox....problem is it doesn't run. I think I've narrowed it down to a fuel supply problem. Is the thingy on top of the intake manifold, just after the throttle body a fuel injector? There is fuel in the line that attaches to the unit, but nothing comes out, even when the car is cranking and the unit is grounded (and plugged in). I need a FSM for it, I know, but if anyone's got any ideas, your help would be appreciated.

THanks,
Joe

"How the hell do we get THAT to fit?"
Qwk200SXSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Ushido
AF Newbie

I'm going through the fun of working on a fuel problem for an 88 fox. I'm pretty sure the 89 fox used the Bosch CIS system for fuel injection. Where are you not getting fuel to? If it's the same system you should have a fuel metering head that the breather attaches to, and atop of that there should be a small injector thingie that the lines come out of and go to the engine, and you should also have an intake and return line from the tank. Are you not getting gas on that intake line? if that's the case, try going down the line and check to see if you're getting anything beyond that second pump. The reason I say this is, that's the problem I'm having with mine. These things have an external fuel pump mounted on the underside of the car, and I've had two of them burn out on me. I hope this isn't your problem, because I've yet to figure out why mine is burning them up so quickly.
Ushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
Qwk200SXSE
AF Newbie

Still no go

Thanks for the suggestion...I've got the CIS-E fuel system, though. I tested both the transfer pump and the fuel pump, as per the FSM, and both seem to be working. It seems like I'm not getting fuel AFTER the fuel distributor deal. Checked the injectors and the cold start valve, but nothing comes out. I DID replace the fuel pump relay, because the fuel pump wasn't making any noise with the old one. It does now, though. So, basically I'm stumped...all of the electronics seem to be w/in specs. (according the the FSM values) and I've tried everything mechanical that I could think of. I know the fuel pumps work and I know that I'm not getting fuel out of the injectors. Can the fuel distributor go bad??? There's nothing really mechanical in there that could get messed up. And from what I understand, the car ran OK the day before it wouldn't start. Any more ideas?

Thanx,
Joe

Old 09-27-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
Ushido
AF Newbie

As of right now this one has me a bit stumped as well, I'll be working on mine this weekend, and If anything comes to me when i'm actually looking at it, I'll be sure to post it here.
Ushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:45 AM   #5
Qwk200SXSE
AF Newbie

Thanx, any input will be appreciated........I don't know what to do anymore .

Joe

Old 09-27-2002, 10:59 PM   #6
Qwk200SXSE
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Possible solution??

Hopefully some of you VW wrenchers will read this........look above to read what's been going on w/my car. QUESTION: Would a faulty diaphragm pressure regulator cause the car not to start? I took the fuel distrubutor off and it seems to be flowing fuel. However, if the diaphragm pressure regulator isn't working, the system won't be getting enough fuel pressure to run...fuel may get TO the distributor, but won't be able to get past the diaphragm, if it's faulty. Sound feasible? Anyone know how to bypass it or how to test it?? Lemme know whatcha think...and TIA for your suggestions.

Joe

Old 09-27-2002, 11:06 PM   #7
Qwk200SXSE
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Possible solution??

Hopefully some of you VW wrenchers will read this........look above to read what's been going on w/my car. QUESTION: Would a faulty diaphragm pressure regulator cause the car not to start? I took the fuel distrubutor off and it seems to be flowing fuel. However, if the diaphragm pressure regulator isn't working, the system won't be getting enough fuel pressure to run...fuel may get TO the distributor, but won't be able to get past the diaphragm, if it's faulty. Sound feasible? Anyone know how to bypass it or how to test it?? Lemme know whatcha think...and TIA for your suggestions.

Joe

Old 05-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Ura
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ura
Hey guys,
I'm also having a similar problem with my '88 Fox. It was running just fine and then died in traffic one day and wouldn't restart. Its been in the shop for a month and my mechanic has it narrowed down to either the mass air flow sensor, the fuel pressure regulator, or the ECU. All of these parts are horribly expensive to replace and it could just be they need a proper cleaning. I'm still waiting the results of some spare parts I picked up from an old Fox in the junkyard so I'll let you know if I get anymore info.
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:13 AM   #9
Ura
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ura
Hey all.
Just an update on how I solved my own fuel supply problem with the Fox.
It turns out to be a combination of the Fuel Pressure Regulator, (a little sensor on the right side of the intake manifold,) and the ECU being bad. The first thing you can try is simply unplugging the Fuel Pressure Regulator and try starting your car. If it fires right up and runs then your ECU is fried and you need a new one, ($900 CDN from a VW dealership here.) If it doesn't then your fuel distributor could be clogged up. Its the thingy that sits on top of the intake manifold but look like a gun metal grey distributor cap. All the bolts that hold on the steel braided cable are cross drilled to allow fuel to flow through them. If they are pluged up some how or turned to a position that blocks the holes then you will get no fuel. If both the fuel pumps are working right then you problem with fuel flow is either in a bad distributor or the electronics I mentioned in my previous post.
If it is a bad ECU I was able to get mine for $100 CDN plus shipping from a wrecker, saving myself the other $800+ it would have cost brand new.

cheers
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote