Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
UncleJake
AF Newbie

'81 firebird tranny help

I have an 81 firebird handed down from my parents that needs some help and this site has taught me alot so I'm gonna ask for a diagnosis from the knowledgeable people of the forum. OK, here's the story. While my parents stopped driving the car because of suspension problems they kept it locked up and parked at what is now our old house. When the house was rented out to my brother, he pushed it up the driveway a little bit with a truck while it was in park to have more room. Now on to today when the car is mine. It is hard to even put it in drive, and it wont move at all when it's in any gear. How big of a problem is it? Should I drop the tranny out to get it totally rebuilt or maybe just find a replacement.
UncleJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: '81 firebird tranny help

First things first. Take the trans out and take it to a reputable transmission shop (not a general repair shop, unless they're known for transmissions). Pay the "tear down" fee to get it diagnosed. Chances are, the parking pall is broken, and the internal linkage is not working properly.
There's no such thing as a "patch job" on an automatic (at least one you plan to keep). A "bench" rebuild (you took it out, and will be putting it back in) should cost in the $500 range for the TH350, uness there's significant damage to "hard" parts (drums, shafts, etc.).
You didn't say which engine was in the 'bird, so I can't tell you if you have TH250 or TH350. There's a remote chance of it being TH200 (if 301 Pontiac V8). If it says "METRIC" on the pan, it's a TH200, and you should dispose of that one and get a TH350. Success rate of rebuilding TH200 is low, even for the best transmission guys. TH250 is a "light duty" version of TH350, and has a band adjusting "lug" on the top side, not present on TH350. For 6 cylinder or daily driving, TH250 is adequate. For any performance applications, TH350 is minimum.
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical