Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Vicious
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via AIM to Vicious Send a message via Yahoo to Vicious
'70-'71 Cuda

I was wondering a little bit about the 70 and 71 cuda...like which engine had the most hp and all.....also wanted to know if one or the other had more problems then the other.....and wethor AT or Manual would be best for all around driving..I someone could help this would be great.

One more thing

Which year would you choose?
0ther??

(im too lazy to post a poll right now sry)

Its only the beginning
Old 02-19-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
Vicious
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via AIM to Vicious Send a message via Yahoo to Vicious
Re: '70-'71 Cuda

Also whats the a grand coupe? i mean is it bigger then original? im lost....

Its only the beginning
Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
PeteRR
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I was wondering a little bit about the 70 and 71 cuda...like which engine had the most hp and all.....also wanted to know if one or the other had more problems then the other.....and wethor AT or Manual would be best for all around driving..I someone could help this would be great.

One more thing

Which year would you choose?
0ther??

(im too lazy to post a poll right now sry)
Of the engines offered for them, the 426 Hemi made the most HP. Both years have the standard Mopar problems. No difference between them that way. As a daily driver/commuter car, the auto trans is better. For a summer cruiser, rowing the gears is way more fun.

The Gran Coupe is just a trim level, no difference in body size.

I like the '70's myself, but there isn't much difference between them. The '71's had slightly less hp in stock form, but now you can do whatever you want to them, performance-wise.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner
451 Stroker + Keisler 5-Speed OD manual trans
Old 03-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Webslinger60
AF Regular

When you say “bigger”, you may be getting the body-types confused.
1st & 2nd generation Barracudas (64-69) were A- bodies. A sportier version of the 2dr Valliant.
In 1970 this changed. The new sporty A-body was the “Duster” and the Barracuda name was given to the new E-body, (shorter/trimmer version of the B-body Satellite). Like what was said, the GranCoupe was the “luxury” trim package. The “Cuda” was the performance pkg. But you could get a GranCoupe/Cuda if you wanted.

Of the 3rd gen 70-74 Barracudas (and the Dodge Challenger) 70&71 are the most desireable, although the 72-74 were better-built cars (most had P/S, PDB, AC, AM-FM, HD susp, etc).
Most 70-71 were ordered plain. The nicer ones usually had faster engines & were destroyed in accidents.
Many 70’s had typical first-year-run problems. 70’s had the most engine/pkg choices. Most E-body fans would agree the 71 Cudas are the most desirable. They had dual headlights, the dual-scoop hoods, shark-gill vent in the fenders, etc.
72&73 although had more standard & popular options, but weren’t as fancy, and only had one performance engine, the 340 (and THAT was de-tuned for emissions), 74’s only had the 360-4bbl as a performance option.
For 70&71 the 426 Hemi was the most powerful but finnicky, but I’ve heard that 440 Magnum sixpacks were faster on the street.
Sixpacks though, were hard to tune. So an out-of-warranty 440 magnum 4bbl with headers & a hotter cam, was just as quick, but more reliable than either. A 340-4bbl was just slightly slower in the Ľ mile, but due to it’s lighter weight, were just a quick in traffic, and better on gas. I think more 70&71 had manual 4sp than the latter years.

As I mentioned earlier, many of the nicer/faster ones were totaled & parted out. The survivors are now either “reference original” (untouched) or over-restored, and between 30-100 grand in price, out of the reach of most people.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Kagon
AF Newbie

I own the cuda's brother another E-body, a 70 challenger R/T

I'm assuming you don't have all the money in the world to buy something, so I'm fairly sure you want to aviod a 71 hemi barracuda. . .those things are rare. . .and pricey, they are the utlimate dream mopar in my opinion.

Any how, I have a 440 six pack(in a plymouth it is a 440 six barrel) the engine in 70 put out 390 hp and 490 foot pounds of torque, a respectable amount at any rate, and from what I've seen that was under-rated, the same engine in 71 although not changed, only put out 385 hp; from what I can tell to try and make the car not be as hard to insure, other engine options were the 440 4-barrel which put our 375 hp and 490 torque, the 383 put out somewhere around 325 hp, AAR cudas of 70 had a 340 six barrel engine which pushed out 290 horsepower, those were the more performance based engines, their was also a single four barrel 340, which was more common, a 318, and a 6 banger. the 1970 cuda's are less desirable by collectors now a days(in comparison to a 71) 71's with a 340 and a shaker hood well restored can fetch right around 20-30 grand sometimes more if its in amazing shape, but depending on what you wants to spend, a 71 hemi cuda convertable just went for a little over a million dollars
Old 03-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
74 Cuda-girl
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to 74 Cuda-girl
Smile Re: '70-'71 Cuda

[quote=Vicious]I was wondering a little bit about the 70 and 71 cuda...like which engine had the most hp and all.....also wanted to know if one or the other had more problems then the other.....and wethor AT or Manual would be best for all around driving..I someone could help this would be great.

One more thing

Which y

Hi; I love ALL 'Cudas and althought they are all "E-bodies"> Ther is one main differance you notice most. The '71 Shark-tooth grill. Either way they're both great! The '70 however is the new style look with the remaining 3 years to follow. As for engines back then they were all good; I swaer Mopar engines made the all good saying come to life! I'm very particail to small block 318's 'cuz you can't kill them! I own a '74 'Cuda and need help finding a sposor-hero-restorer to assist me in my time of need and bad luck. Would anyone know of anyone in the central Wisconsin area able to help resore my car in time for the Midwest's largest old car show in July? I worked on them for 27 years to feature "Plymouths"! Now they are and my sweet ride is in roughshape? Any loyal Moapr people out there avaiable? My 'Cuda is so deserving/needy/hopeful.. Thank you! & Long live us Mopar-car-Lovers, -Linda
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
Cuda'
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Cuda' Send a message via AIM to Cuda' Send a message via Yahoo to Cuda'

Hi! im 15 years old and i love the barracudas. i want one as an investment car and i love the years 70-71. that is the one i want. i want the 426 hemi V8!!!!!can u please give me tips on were to look and how to get one? thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #8
PeteRR
AF Regular

Cuda'

Unless you're rich, the best way is to find a basketcase plain jane barracuda. Tuck it away where it won't get any worse and when you get into your 30s, build a first class clone.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner
451 Stroker + Keisler 5-Speed OD manual trans
Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Webslinger60
AF Regular

Re: Re: '70-'71 Cuda

[quote=74 Cuda-girlHi; I love ALL 'Cudas and althought they are all "E-bodies" -Linda[/QUOTE]

I think you're mistaken there, the 64-69 Barracudas were "A-bodies" and
70-74 were "E-bodies" The early Barracudas had the same frame, suspension, and many interior panels as the Valliant & Dart. I think the doors & glass were the same too. Plymouth shortened the name to 'cuda for the sportier ones in 68 or 69.

The 70-74 were much closer to the B-body line. But different enough to get thier own letter designation.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
71 cuda'
AF Newbie

[quote=Vicious]I was wondering a little bit about the 70 and 71 cuda...like which engine had the most hp and all.....also wanted to know if one or the other had more problems then the other.....and wethor AT or Manual would be best for all around driving..I someone could help this would be great.

well i prefer the 71' i just like the front grill better then the others and i would go with the 426 hemi because its just the "king kong" of engines although it could be beat on the 1/4 mile by a 440+6 pack, but anything after a 1/4 mile the hemi takes over. so i would choose the hemi. the 71' also lost 5 hp but with today's parts that doesnt really matter.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
beatboxn420
AF Regular

Im in the same boat as Cuda'. Im 16, and I grew up around my dad's 72' 340, 4 Speed (Hurst Pistol Grip) Triple black. I loved Cudas' ever since. But there is no way for any of us youngins to get ahold of one without shellin over 10ks, just for a car that needs a total resto.. My plans are to pull a college loan and instead buyin a 70 Cuda, and puttin it into storage and buyin part by part to restore it. Just like my old man did.. but when he bought it for 1700 bucks in 84, it was already put together... damn you people for making muscle cars worth so much. =[

-Tj

Warning: Objects In Mirror No Longer Matter

Old 11-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
4cruzin
AF Newbie

There all great cars!! 70-74 cudas are getting harder to find. I like the AAR's too! Very cool!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Holy ancient threads, Batman!!

Please do not resurrect ancient threads. If you wish to continue the discussion, please open a new thread on this subject. Old threads like this one ran its course 2 years ago. Regular users of AF simply find such ancient threads to be annoying.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical