Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
badtransam86
AF Newbie

1998 ford mustang v6 to v8 swap

I got a 1998 ford mustang base 3.8 liter it just went down on me a week ago it has a bad rod bearing so i figured if im going to take it out why not get a v8 what im wondering is will everything hook up the same will the bell housing on the tranny will fit up to it i was thinking either get the v8 in the same model car or going old school and getting carberated so whatever works the best
badtransam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1998 ford mustang v6 to v8 swap

It might be best to put another V6, or sell it for parts..
Find a wrecked 1998 V8 with a little body damage and use your body parts.

You need a motor, EUC/PCU, ignition buss signals, and fuel buss signals to convert a V6 into a V8.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
badtransam86
AF Newbie

I found me a carbed 302 it all runs on vacumm no computer if I drop it down in there will it bolt up to the tranny I've got now or will I need to change it too
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
megawrench
AF Newbie

go with the same model year engine weather you go small or big block stick with the same year, you will have way less problems with the computer and i dont know if you have emissions tezting in your area but that will play a huge part in the regulations , but the job is fairly easy if you have mechanical knowledge or are pretty handy with your hands and working on cars, you will have to change over the computer and harness and it will probably be a good idea to switch the trans as well you might think that everything is the same but believe it or not it is not, i wanted to do the same thing with and i know alot of the techs at the local dealer and i'm pretty sure the trans tech there said that the tail shaft is smaller in the v-6 than in the v-8 also the rear end is different but they said that the rear should hold up unless you were planing to go like to 500HP or something then you will have problems nut anyway any questions you have go to your local dealer and ask the techs anything you need to know, if you just walk into the shop area you should find their head tech and the trans tech those two guys should be able to answer any questions that your wondering about.good luck ,buddy!
megawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
badtransam86
AF Newbie

I wonder if a wiring harness off a gt or cobra will plug into the firewall ?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance