Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
chevettefreak
AF Newbie

honda powered chevette?

i was just curious to see if anyone knew how complicated it would be to put a jdm f20c out of honda s2000 in a chevette i just picked the motor up for 3500 bucks and i know there will be a little bit of work ex. changing rear end to a s10 (if anyone knows anything better it would help to) getting custom driveshaft and so on like i honestly dont think there is that much work involved other then new motor mounts but thats easy work im just not to sure about the wiring aspect and if there will need to be and major re-inforcements to the front chassis if anyone doesnt know the s200 motor puts out 257 hp and about 150-160 lb/t so its not a torque monster by anymeans but ya if anyone knows anything that could really help me just let me know
chevettefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: honda powered chevette?

It sounds like a fun project.

Here are a few suggestions.

First of all, the stock rear end is not so bad. People have used some fairly decent engines with the stock rear and been okay. I think you should leave it in place.

Most weaker rear ends break when people strap in big V8's with sticky tires, then attempt wheel-lifting launches. The S2000 driveline simply is not going to launch that hard. By the time it reaches torque peak, the car will already be rolling nicely. Remember, the faster a gear set is rotating, the more power it can handle.

Also, swapping in another rear is a lot of work. The S10 rear would require custom-welded control arm mounts and, most likely, a new ring and pinion, since most come with relatively tall gearing, which is not too good for the high-revving Honda engine.

The chevette rear will likely have 4:11 gears, just right for the engine.

I think the rest of it will simply be loads of fabricating. It would help to start with a manual trans Chevette .You will likely have to adapt a hydraulic clutch master cylinder to the existing clutch pedal.
You will need a high-pressure in-line electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator, as well as the Honda ECM and wiring harness.

Hopefully, your Honda engine is a pre-2006 model, so the throttle linkage can be adapted, using a cable. Later ones used a drive-by-wire throttle, and would be more difficult to adapt.

Frankly, it sounds like fun, and will make a very interesting ride that the guys in Barrie will not believe!
But will be a lot of work. Post pics if you are going to do the project.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
chevettefreak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
It sounds like a fun project.

Here are a few suggestions.

First of all, the stock rear end is not so bad. People have used some fairly decent engines with the stock rear and been okay. I think you should leave it in place.

Most weaker rear ends break when people strap in big V8's with sticky tires, then attempt wheel-lifting launches. The S2000 driveline simply is not going to launch that hard. By the time it reaches torque peak, the car will already be rolling nicely. Remember, the faster a gear set is rotating, the more power it can handle.

Also, swapping in another rear is a lot of work. The S10 rear would require custom-welded control arm mounts and, most likely, a new ring and pinion, since most come with relatively tall gearing, which is not too good for the high-revving Honda engine.

The chevette rear will likely have 4:11 gears, just right for the engine.

I think the rest of it will simply be loads of fabricating. It would help to start with a manual trans Chevette .You will likely have to adapt a hydraulic clutch master cylinder to the existing clutch pedal.
You will need a high-pressure in-line electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator, as well as the Honda ECM and wiring harness.

Hopefully, your Honda engine is a pre-2006 model, so the throttle linkage can be adapted, using a cable. Later ones used a drive-by-wire throttle, and would be more difficult to adapt.

Frankly, it sounds like fun, and will make a very interesting ride that the guys in Barrie will not believe!
But will be a lot of work. Post pics if you are going to do the project.
yes its a 2000 honda s2000 motor so other then the hydraulic clutch everything should be good to go and the chevette im using is an existing standard so ya that will be easy modifactions i did some measuring and the tranny might actually bolt up with out me having to do any real cutting to the floor the motor came with a spoon ecu and all the wiring harnesses how much power do u think the stock rear end can handle the chevette i picked up only has 135000 kms on it so everything is still like new it has been well maintained so ya i think i would be good to go but remember the s2000 motor redlines at 10000 rpm and i dont want the diff to dentonate under hard accel and do u know of any rear disc conversions that can be done to the chevette? and the govener has been taking off the motor so ya i could use the taller gears maybe i dunno im more of a motor guy then rear diff ive mainly only worked on front wheel drives lol thanks for the advise and will start posting pics

hows that for starters ill make sure u guys get step by step pics lol wish me luck
chevettefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
comp
AF Regular

drove one with a 4.3 swap,,that was fun
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
dannyboynz
AF Newbie

Hey there, thought i may be able to shed some light on a few things. firsty what part of the world are you in, just wondered if left or right hand drive... I was picking from the pics posted could be the states. left hand drive would be a much easier swap as the inlet and exaust setup is opposite to most engines and puts the exhaust mainifold in the way of the steering if you are like me and RHD
the fit itself is not too bad as long as you dont expect just to bolt it in!!! you can spend lots and go to dry sump as you would quickly find the crossmember is right in the way but as as the chevette crossmember angles forward just make one that angles back and you are away. It will go in and under a std bonnet but does just touch. steering rack is the next thing, moving the cross member back will allow the engine to fit but you will have to make new brackets to drop and move rack forward. If it sounds like too much work and you have the cash go dry sump.
Engine mounts are easy to custom make and same with gearbox crossmember. I went with a drive shaft with a center universal.
Do you guys run a different diff up there as STD?? down here they come out with a tiny diff witha long snout, drum brakes. Just wondered cause the last guy was saying the STD one would handle it?? If they are the same as down here it has to go!! they are useless and will last all of five minutes ( would this be a street or track car?? ) mine is a track car so if it was a street car it may last 10 minutes. The first and biggest problem with them is you need an LSD if you want to get any of the power to the ground and if it is a track car you want something with different ratios. I would say 4.3/4.5 would be a good place to start. Power of these is 240/250 horse depending on what part of the world it comes from (240 USA) they are low torque but s2000 are not a light car so not so much of an issue.
S10 diff you say, is that a chev pickup? if so could be OK I run a toyota hilux diff in mine, ditch the drums and custom fit rotors and calipers. What about you front brakes have you sorted those out? std chevette brakes make good paper weights ( do people use paper weights anymore?? ever??)
Did you get the engine and box and loom and ecu and speedo cluster?
If it is STD ecu you need it all or it wont run, your spoon one should make it easier. There is lots of electrical stuff that need sorting but nothing that hasnt been done before.

dannyboynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
edonnn
AF Newbie

Hello,
[i]American Honda Motor Co., Inc. recently became aware of unauthorized access to an email list used by a vendor to create a welcome email to customers who have an Owner Link or My Acura vehicle account. The data that was obtained included your email address, your name, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and User ID. Your password was not included and no other sensitive information was contained in that list.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As a company, we believe that all customer relationships must be built on trust. That is why we believe it is important to inform you of this incident. You may be aware of attacks on email marketing systems, therefore we want to assure you that we take the safeguarding of your information seriously and that the appropriate authorities have been contacted regarding this incident. Additionally, we have taken steps to minimize this type of exposure in the future.

As a Company, we encourage you to continue to be aware of the increasingly common email scams that may use your email address to contact you and ask for personal or sensitive information -- Be cautious when opening links or attachments from unsolicited third parties. Also, know that American Honda Motor Co., Inc. will not send you emails asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personal information. If ever asked for this information, you can be confident it is not from us.

thanks!!

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 03-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
edonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Darylellis
AF Newbie

Hey guys thanks for all the information i think i have got all the answers for the queries well this will work out now,the wheel into the rims are looking wonderful and the colorful

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevette