Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Reager
AF Newbie

Auto Tranny Problems

Ok 93 Talon ES.

This is what it does, your going down the road and it seems to just randomly downshift. Where ever it happens to be it will just drop a gear and get hung there. Sometimes it will eventually shift back up. And sometimes acually have to stop the car, throw it in neutral and let it idle for a bit. Then it will shift a bit hard on take off but will get going fairly normally again.

Major problem for this car, I'm afraid to drive it on the interstate for fear of it dropping a gear and me getting hit in the rear end.

Note, I've already flushed the tranny, and put in a new filter. Didnt do any good. Tranny doesnt seem to be grinding anywhere, found no metal shavings in the pan.

Anyone seen this before? Anyone know how to correct the problem.

I intended to swap out the tranny for a manual in the spring, but I dont really have the time or cash to do the job right now.

1993 Eagle Talon ES Auto (for the time being)
Reager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
96spyderman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 96spyderman Send a message via MSN to 96spyderman
Re: Auto Tranny Problems

Do you have the O/D button on the shifter?
If so, have you checked all the wiring just in case it acts as if you hit the button by accident...shorting out... i've been goin about 50mph and hit the button on mine...oooops... scared the piss right out a me!!!!!!!!
just a thought...check wiring.....
Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
Reager
AF Newbie

No its not the button. Even if overdrive is off and your running in drive. The problem still exists, its not quite as frequent though since you carry a higher RPM and it doesnt try and downshift as much.

And I'm not talking about just dropping down into drive, its gone all the way from OD to 2nd and get hung there. Trust me if you drop into second at 70...its a bit fun.

1993 Eagle Talon ES Auto (for the time being)
Reager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
IaMbRoKeNoW
AF Newbie

I am kinda having the same problem with my car...although it doesnt get stuck in the lower gear but just drops the RPMs usually between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd...either upshifting or downshifting it jumps high or low but always steadies...I'm swapping my engine this week so I'll let you know if I find anything.

97 Eclipse GST
IaMbRoKeNoW is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis