Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Charger R/T | Charger SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Genesisfactor
AF Regular

Question Hey, a few questions for a guy trying to be in the know

I feel like i don't belong here. I just got my first car, a celica GT. I need the econobox for college and it was under a grand (i wonder why). Anyways, i'm curious on a few things i've heard.

I have a friend who got one one the only two bucket seat super bees out there. i can't find super bees in this forum, so i wanted to know a few things.

1) is it worth it to restore one of these cars?
2) I know MOPAR is in a class by itself in street racing and other things, one above the new ricer cars that everyone seems to love. What times- and speeds- can you get with oe of these engines. How are theses car's agility at these speeds?
3) what's the fuel economy of an 383 and a 440 motor.
4) If i WAS to get a MOPAR car..and trust me, its looking likely, esp since i'm goign to restore it myself, what car should i look for, esp if i want a racer. How much will it cost, and what problems will a MOPAR car have (i got my econobox for reliablity, i mean, i'm still in school. I am just starting to *attend* a new school and getting a new type of education)
5) How bad DOES NOS junk up your engine. I dont' use it, i dont' want to use it, but i am curious on it since i hear two sides of the story.
6) That memorable scene in 2 Fast 2 Furious, you know what i'm talking about...i want your opinions on that

That for now sums it up. Thanks for your time and posts.
Genesisfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: Hey, a few questions for a guy trying to be in the know

It is very rewarding to restore these cars. They were built for straight line speed. Built to 'effin go. The weight they have and the overall shape doesn't allow them to corner like a ricer or something would, but you gotta understand that these are 30 year old cars. American cars.

I don't think a big block Dodge has "fuel economy". In racing conditions or just driving quickly, you might get 4 or 5 miles to the gallon or something silly like that.

These cars have become highly desireable over the past few years. Even to go out and buy a car that needs a pile of work will cost you SO much money.

I don't know anything about NOS, but I don't think you'd need it. Have you ever driven a car with a 440 in it? It would be a completely different story compared to that Celica or whatever it is you're currently driving. A 440 is all you should need, in my opinion. If you like NOS you should probably keep it in the imports.

What's this about a one of two bucket seat car? I know most of them had bench seats in them but I've seen more than a few bucket seat Super Bees...
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
FastTrackToFreedom
AF Regular

My dad has a black 68 440 charger 4speed. It gets like 8 mpg. Beast of a car I'll tell you. Hasn't been beat yet on the street, but we don't drive it all too often. All matching numbers.

I personally think it is only worth it if you like what ever it is you are going to restore. 440's pull like crazy...well with the close ratio 4 speed it does.

And by the way it looks just like the one from fast and the furious, well except clean and a 68 instead, and no suprecharger and huge intake.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

If you're going to put NOS or supercharge it, you'll need to rebuild the new motor and put a forged lower end and pistons b/c if you run lean w/ the NOS, you'll blow a piston. And if you don't use forged parts, it's not strong enough to handle the higher pressures of forced induction. Keep that SuperBee, it's worth minumum $25,000. If you had a Plymouth Superbird, that's a for sure keeper b/c it's worth $50,000 or more.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
g2driver
AF Newbie

Definitly p/u that car, and I wouldn't put NOS in that, you have to keep paying for it. With a turbo/ supercharger it is a flat fee.
g2driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Genesisfactor
AF Regular

Haha, thanks for your comments so far. A fe things though. I don't do NOS, i was curious about it because i've been hearing different stories about it. What do you mean by "lean run"? I know idiots use it in 1st gear, is that a lean run? I kinda wish the super bee was mine, i need a 25K check. It's my friend's. Haha, and don't rag on the celica. If i wanted a racer i would have picked somethng with more in it. They hold their own againt imports if they have to, but i need something with high mpg. An 8mpg car would pretty much cost 15 dollars a day jet to get to and from school. I dpn't make enough to cover that. My friend has enough trouble with her V8 thunderbird, If i got one of these beasts, it woudl be a racer only. , gassed up only for the track and hopefully i'll take back enough winnings to justify it. THa'ts IF i can get my hands on one....
Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Genesisfactor
AF Regular

oh...and no one answered number 8, the FatF race between the charger and the supra i think? I havent' seen te movign in years, but yeah, what did you think about the outcome? was it even realistic. and then in 2F2F, what did you think about THAT race, where it was a straight down, one turn deal? Facts over movie magic and story line progression, ya know, that's why i asked.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

But it only goes to 6?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:12 AM   #9
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

personally, I thought 2F2F was a waste of time and money. I was highly disappointed and thought that a 15-year-old came up w/ the sequel. That movie should be banned from Blockbuster and other video stores; it's not worth the time & money to rent and see that kind of garbage.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:00 AM   #10
99grandgt
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 99grandgt Send a message via Yahoo to 99grandgt

hey, whats up? i have a 69 440 block, 69 906 heads, 69 forged crank, with a little bit of welded rod, and a 69 intake..you guessed it, someone before me wanted to build a 69 440. those engines are nuts!! i am waitin and collecting the moparmuscle mags to see the mild mannered mauler, and article on the 440 to see if it can hit 600hp and 600 tq on 89 pump gas. but, i would love to stick that motor into a heavily modified dodge daytona. the new ones, that weigh next to nothin. but yeah, you dont need nos with a 440, just a .509 purpleshaft cam, a demon 750 carb, and 11:1 comp, and you are kickin everyones ass. and the charger in the movie, fat and f, was bounced off the ground with pneumatics...i know it can do it in real life, but the car would have been twisted.
possibly a g8 gt when i get to cali
99grandgt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Charger R/T | Charger SRT8