Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Celica29
AF Newbie

armrest paint trouble

i put on one coat of primer and one coat of Krylon Fusion on my armrests. It's been 5 days and they're still sticky. what's the deal? they aren't just normal plastic, they're kinda rubbery plactic. it's hard to explain but it's like, foam covered by a rubbery plastic surface. anyway, did i do something wrong while painting it or did i use the wrong paint or what?
Celica29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

They're vinyl, but thats fine...

But, Yeah, unfortunatly, you'll have to strip it and repaint, if it came out sticky you probably painted while it was too cold out. It'll make the paint congeal (turn to jelly) before it cures, and after that it never will cure (dry completely), this is the main cause of stickiness

Or it may have been too humid, water content can effect the outcome.

Lastly, you dont need to use primer when using krylon fusion for plastics, follow the directions on the back exactly, no sanding, no priming...
just clean well using amonnia and water, dry, lay down a light coat, then follow with a full coat, and repeat coats about every 10 minutes

In my gallery here you can see a few of the things I've painted using krylon fusion

My Gallery
'97 Maroon SL1- Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate, Short Ram Intake 3" Cone Filter, Flip Flop Trunk, Red Enameled Engine, Interior & Exterior Painting Mods, 4" Burnt Tip Muffler, DRLs ON A SWITCH!, "Rims", Seat Covers, And A Stereo System Thats Too Good!, Other various mods and detailing...
mysatilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
Celica29
AF Newbie

first off, sorry about the whole "me not knowing what vinyl was" lol i'm fairly new at this so i don't know too much yet. thanks for not making a big deal of it. and second, i wanna thank you for your input i'll be trying what you said tomorrow afternoon so if anyone else has any suggestions, please, throw em in here.
Celica29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

No problem, everyone is new at some point, at least you're learning
Another thought is that the Krylon Fusion for plastics is formulated for adhering to plastic, and wouldn't adhere well to the primer,

The other suggestion that I figure you'll get is that you should dye the vinyl instead of painting, which makes sense since you're going to be touching them alot, but you already have the Krylon and I've never had any problems with it,
If you have the time give it the full week to cure (per instructions to be fully chip resistant)
See this post for vinyl dye
Heres a site for VHT Dye VHT Vinyl Dye
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
Use SEM colorcaot or VHT Vinyl dye. We use SEM colorcoat @ the Uphostery shop.

http://www.sem.ws/category.php?category_id=36

To prep the surface, strart with a good cleaner. I use Auto Magic's special cleaner concentrate (number 713)

http://www.automagic.biz/cleaners.htm

Follow this with a good wax and grease remover. This wil removew the wax, grease, and armor all...a lot of the hard to remove things that can screw up an uphostery/dye job on a dash or panel. For vinyl, follow this with Vinyl Prep via package directions. SEM makes a very good Vinyl prep availble in a qaurt or a spray can. Sometimes a second application is requires depending on the panel and it's condtion. After this the Vinyl panel is ready to spray.

For plastic, follow the wax and grease remover with a plastic prep (SEM and Dupont make good ones.) After this sand the plastic with a 400 grit sand paper. Follow once more with Plastic Prep. At this point you have a few options. YOu can use ONE of the following...DO NOT use all on the same job.

You can use

a)Adhision Promoter, SEM makes a good one
b)SEM Flex Bond
c)SEM Sand Free

I usually use the Sand Free or the Adhesion Promoter. Apply what you choose via package directions. Now your ready to re-dye your dash and panels! Use SEM Colorcoat or VHT for the Vinyl (I use SEM), use the SEM (not the VHT) for the Plastics. If you do it right it will turn out very very well.

SEM is around $8-10 a can...you can follow it with one of the 3 SEM clears for added protection or a change of sheen/deepen the color. I usually use the Satin Gloss Clear.
Came From This Thread
'97 Maroon SL1- Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate, Short Ram Intake 3" Cone Filter, Flip Flop Trunk, Red Enameled Engine, Interior & Exterior Painting Mods, 4" Burnt Tip Muffler, DRLs ON A SWITCH!, "Rims", Seat Covers, And A Stereo System Thats Too Good!, Other various mods and detailing...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
99SilveradoGuy
AF Newbie

dont even bother with fusion paint, regular automotive spray paint gives a much better result if you take the time to lay some primer down , sand , clean and paint,

I'll take a pic of my door panel I Smoothed and painted the other day.
99SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

Did you use plastic primer?

I've used regular spray paint and primer on plastics, it chips after a while, and can't be touched as much,

Fusion is pretty much spray on plastic, its durable and designed for plastics, I didn't waste my time, its worked out great for me and I've used it alot,

Show me on a can of spray paint or primer where it says the word plastic...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #7
99SilveradoGuy
AF Newbie

Re: armrest paint trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysatilac
Did you use plastic primer?

I've used regular spray paint and primer on plastics, it chips after a while, and can't be touched as much,

Fusion is pretty much spray on plastic, its durable and designed for plastics, I didn't waste my time, its worked out great for me and I've used it alot,

Show me on a can of spray paint or primer where it says the word plastic...
99% of vechicles dont have plastic armrests, there a rubberized type of material for comfort
99SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
TranzAm403
AF Newbie

Re: Re: armrest paint trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysatilac
No problem, everyone is new at some point, at least you're learning.
Its always cool when people can look upon a thread with understanding, instead of flaming. Yeah, dyeing is the way to go.
TranzAm403 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General