Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
cynick
AF Newbie

subwoofer + 4 speakers

i have a 97 tercel, and my 2 speakers really suck..
i'm not a music maniac, but want to listen to at least somewhat lame-decent music in the car
what do you think I should do:
1) change just the front speakers

2) add two speakers in the back

3) add a subwoofer (like 10" or something cheaper)

Thanks
cynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Air4ceOne
AF Newbie

Re: subwoofer + 4 speakers

I'm in the same boat with my 95. I have the original AM/FM/cassette player with the two little speakers in the doors. It's ok for everyday listening, but now that I'm fixing up the rest of the car, my wife wants me to get a new stereo with a CD player. Yes, dear. LOL. I'm not getting the loud, thumping bass speakers with an amp and subwoofer. I'm just gonna get replacement speakers for the doors and add two to the back.......at least for now. Maybe I'll add an amp later because I've heard lots of people saying it makes everything sound better.
Air4ceOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
cynick
AF Newbie

Re: Re: subwoofer + 4 speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air4ceOne
I'm in the same boat with my 95. I have the original AM/FM/cassette player with the two little speakers in the doors. It's ok for everyday listening, but now that I'm fixing up the rest of the car, my wife wants me to get a new stereo with a CD player. Yes, dear. LOL. I'm not getting the loud, thumping bass speakers with an amp and subwoofer. I'm just gonna get replacement speakers for the doors and add two to the back.......at least for now. Maybe I'll add an amp later because I've heard lots of people saying it makes everything sound better.
is it easy to add the back speakers? any suggestions where/what I should read about the wiring?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
Air4ceOne
AF Newbie

To be honest, I have no idea but I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard. I'm looking at the 4" 2-way 100W speakers for the doors and the 6.5" 200W (I think) 4-way speakers for the back. Both are from Pioneer and it shows you how to wire them on the back of each box. I'm also getting the Pioneer stereo which requires the wiring adapter, etc. If you go to Best Buy or Circuit City, they can tell you which adapters you'll need. Then can also install everything for you, but I'm not paying them to do that. I'll figure it out myself.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
tubjub
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to tubjub Send a message via AIM to tubjub Send a message via MSN to tubjub Send a message via Yahoo to tubjub
i made a custom dual 6x9 box, bought some cheap 6x9's .... and set it up in the rear deck temporarily. replaced my head unit with a nice rockford unit, put in 4 inch coaxial rockford speakers in the dash (came with the head unit) i ran my wires underneath my carpet down each side of the car (just bought a 100ft. roll of 18ga. wire) to run to the 6x9's.... ran the rca's down the driver side of the car, underneath the trim and the carpet, same with the power wire for the amp, which i ran thru a hole in the firewall and all the way back, underneath the back seat, and into the trunk ... made a custom box for two rockford punch xlc 10's that fit beneath and between the shock towers and rear deck.... mounted the 900w punch amp on the back of the speaker box... it wasn't that hard, but i do this shit all the time so...

if you go to put an aftermarket radio in your car DO NOT CUT THE FACTORY WIRING HARNESS!!!!!... this severly complicates matters.

run out to your local wal-mart or audio center and grab a wiring harness for your year tercel, if all else fails, one for a camry will work as well. plug your new harness into your factory one, and you have bare wires to now splice into to hook up your new toy! follow the colors (as per the directions with the harness) and everything should work fine... the larger of the two harnesses in your dash contains power, accessory, dimming and front speaker hookups. the smaller one contains rear speaker hookups... the problem is, if your tercel didn't come with rear speakers, dont hook up the rear harness. just splice a pair of wires onto your head unit itself and run them to the back speakers, minding polarity.

just my $.02
tubjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
cynick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air4ceOne
To be honest, I have no idea but I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard. I'm looking at the 4" 2-way 100W speakers for the doors and the 6.5" 200W (I think) 4-way speakers for the back. Both are from Pioneer and it shows you how to wire them on the back of each box. I'm also getting the Pioneer stereo which requires the wiring adapter, etc. If you go to Best Buy or Circuit City, they can tell you which adapters you'll need. Then can also install everything for you, but I'm not paying them to do that. I'll figure it out myself.
i guess I'll try first to change the 2 front speakers first
i found the holes for the rear speakers, but no cables are going there,
so I have to find a way to get a cable for the rear speakers
Old 05-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Air4ceOne
AF Newbie

I finally got my new system in. It was much easier than I was expecting since I'm not one who knows much about installing stereos. I bought the Pioneer DEH-2750MP stereo and the Pioneer TS-G1040R 4" speakers for the front doors and the Pioneer TS-A1681S 6.5" speakers for the back. I went to Walmart and bought the Toyota stereo harness (which makes things SO much easier, the 40' roll of 18 gauge speaker wire, and the connectors to plug onto the speakers. I'm happy with everything except for the speakers in the doors. They can't handle the bass at all and give off a lot of distortion. They're 100 watt speakers but only 20 watts RMS. I knew nothing about RMS until I put these in. The stereo is pushing out 50 watts x 4 channels and it's just too much. The back speakers are 260 watts with 50 watts RMS and sound great though. I went to the local stereo install shop today and bought bass blockers for the front speakers. They tell me that'll block the bass from getting through to them and stop the distortion. I sure hope so! Gonna install them tonight.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
toyota guy
AF Newbie

I have a 91 tercel dx 2 dr, factory everything and need help big time replacing the wiper motor... can anyone help? It sounds simple, undo all 4 bolts, pull it out, disconnect linkage... there i'm stumped, the whole it's in is 2 inch diameter, how can one get a tool in there? it only pulls out 1 inch (the linkage and motor shaft that is)... Hays and Chilton books helped none.. Am I missing a step? Any help would be greatly apreciated.
toyota guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
Air4ceOne
AF Newbie

The bass blockers worked great, and I have no more distortion in the front speakers. Well worth the few bucks I spent on them!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel