Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #61
pind
AF Regular

Re: harley vs. sport bikes

Another canadian here. Yes, our dollar forces everyone to pay way too much for bikes, cars, cheeseburgers, etc. But, back to the point.

Having owned both rice bikes and harleys, I can say this. Anyone who can ride is not a poser. Anyone who actually rides should, IMHO shut their cake-hole and get in the wind. This is what riding is all about, there is no better or worse, there is only just right for the person riding the bike.

All the beaking off in the world won't do any good for anyone. And those who keep flapping their gums are slow, as the open mouth creates a horrendous coefficient of drag.

So, get a rocket, get a cruiser, be it a Harley, a Busa, a Ducati, or any of the many other choices out there, get on, shut up and ride. Happy Motoring to all, and to all a safe ride.
pind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 PM   #62
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

no offense, but I don't believe you're a veteran rider of many years.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #63
cmoubell

Yeah, you have to be a veteran "of many years" to have an opinion! heh heh actually you don't, but man if your not a veteran and you post on here people are just going to make fun of you... or so it seems...
Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #64
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

sarcasms aside, I never knew any sportbike owners refer to their bikes as rice bikes, rockets, etc, unless they happen to be newbie squids.

though I can't remember in my statement where I pontificated:

Quote:
Yeah, you have to be a veteran "of many years" to have an opinion! heh heh actually you don't, but man if your not a veteran and you post on here people are just going to make fun of you... or so it seems...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:44 AM   #65
cmoubell

Hey no worries Z, I don't know how you speak or the terms you use in the US but here in canada even the best rider veterans will refer to their bikes as the "crotch rocket", "rice bike", etc. Here even the older dudes can be cool, just different culture I guess...

Oh I had a question too for you Z. What pipe do you think would sound good on a 2002 zx12? Or any brands you know of that work well with the kawi's? heh heh too bad I didn't have a Busa, if that was the case I'd just straight pipe it and cut if off at the fairing access.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:30 AM   #66
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoubell
Hey no worries Z, I don't know how you speak or the terms you use in the US but here in canada even the best rider veterans will refer to their bikes as the "crotch rocket", "rice bike", etc. Here even the older dudes can be cool, just different culture I guess...

Oh I had a question too for you Z. What pipe do you think would sound good on a 2002 zx12? Or any brands you know of that work well with the kawi's? heh heh too bad I didn't have a Busa, if that was the case I'd just straight pipe it and cut if off at the fairing access.
is that a trick question? Because I am sure you already know, it comes with a territory of owning a ZX-12R as you do. And if I ever get something above a liter, I'd much rather get that Kawi than a Busa.

Anyway, here might be good places to start looking:

http://www.1888fastlap.com/performance_exhausts.htm
http://www.cyclegear.com/dept.cfm?L1=162
http://www.gpr.it/index.html
http://www.hammythecanman.com/
http://www.exoticsportbike.com/motorcycle_exhaust.htm
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 AM   #67
cmoubell

thanks

You can't trick a trickster! Glad you caught that one! heh heh But thanks for the links, gave me something better to look at then the mags at the local kawi dealer. I'm probably going to go with something performance wise rather then purtyness, since the bike may be thrown down pretty close to the ash on the track. I agree trackwise I think the zx-12 takes the Busa, in the turns big time, expecially when I come out of the turn 50+ ft ahead of my buddys who are trailing with their Busa's. heh heh It could help being a light, but sinewy little dude though too, as are many of todays professional track riders.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:50 AM   #68
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Well, glad you're picking power over sound. Busa may be a great tourer, but ZX-12R is definitely an all around bike. Looks better too.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 PM   #69
cmoubell

Indeed it is a great bike. One of my buddy's is taking it to the track today, since he's thinking of upgrading from the CBR600R. He's getting to be a really good rider but I still feel a bit nervous about my new machine .... ahh well you've got to trust your friends, I'm sure he'll be fine....I hope....I pray!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM   #70
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

you must be insane.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 AM   #71
lorddarkice
AF Enthusiast

i call my CBR a rocket... ive acctually called it a 'rice rocket' before... but that was while this guy was talking smack about hondas (driving a stang) so it basicly went like this... me: "i own a rice rocket, its a honda... wanna race?" him: "yeah, come on! ill smoke your ass" me: "yeah... its just got exhaust... but its fast i think... it will beat your stang" him: "no way! your an idiot if you think your HONDA will beat my stang!" Me: "...wanna lay money on it?" him: (now nervus) "um... what are you driving?" me: "just a honda... mine doesn't even have VTEC" him: (feeling more confident) "yeah sure, come on, $100" ....i dont need to finish this, he saw it was a Bike and called the bet off (i knew he would, i just thought it would be funny) we did race (i smoked him dua) and we ended up both laughing about it and by the end of the night i was giving him a ride on it.

ok, now to say something about the harleys... i personally do not like them. except for the Viscarta or whatever it is called, that one is cool. I PERSONALLY do not like the way they ride. i have ridden on a few (not many) andthey just rode ruff. i have ridden on my freinds Meanstreet and it is so much smoother than them (and i think it looks cool in a cruser sort of way). i dont have anything aganst domestics i just dont like the harleys ride.

1990 Honda Civic Hatch - 3 motors, SOLD
1998 Honda civic EX - nothing done, SOLD
1990 BMW 325IS SOLD
1992 Plymoth Laser RS SOLD
1992 Mazda Pro-to-gay Given away
1995 Saturn SL2 SOLD

2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 bone stock.
lorddarkice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 AM   #72
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

You do realize no bike on the face of the earth is like a rocket? Not even the y2k. There are rocket cars, but no rocket bike. In my understanding, real rockets (not one of those fireworks or model kit types that shoots up in the air) has to exceed the velocity of more than 300 mph+, and in the least, has the capability of reaching mach 1, which is a bit above 750 mph+. And even most of your jet fighters will do these things just fine while frolicking in a barrel roll... so you can only imagine how a potent a rocket would be. A McLaren F1 has all the performance abilities of an excellent sportbikes. Those formula circuit cars are much, much faster than super sports bikes. And so for the life of me, I can't figure out why would people call their sportbikes, a rice rocket or crotch rocket. Other than the fact that, right now we're in a generation where fallacious forms of adjectives or linguistic inadequacy is tolerated and revered. But ironically, people who speak English as their 3rd or 4th language is far more accurate with their attempts than native speakers. Of course, I myself, don't mind asking someone - DUDE, where's my crotch rocket!!??
Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #73
Jim Culkin
AF Newbie

Alright, as I said didn't want to offend anyone, sorry if you thought Jap was derogatory, I don't, but you do and I will not shorten the term, I will use Japanese or Niponese, ok by the way I am American and I do have mostly Irish blood and don't really care if you call me alcoholic or a mick, don't care. As I said what the preference is of one, may not be the preference of another, I guess all that does matter is what you or others have, if they like them and ride them thats great, um, a brand new Honda Goldwing will cost around 12,000 u.s. dollars, maybe it has to do with imports, dunno, my bike was born in 1979, it has many, many miles and it runs great and I don't spend a fortune on it, mostly change the oil and maintain it, as with anything else if you are good to it, it will be good to you.
Jim Culkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:26 AM   #74
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
In my understanding, real rockets (not one of those fireworks or model kit types that shoots up in the air) has to exceed the velocity of more than 300 mph+, and in the least, has the capability of reaching mach 1, which is a bit above 750 mph+.
No clue what this means... But anyway, I think a dodge tomahawk (the suicycle) would be able to go waaay past 300 MPH, just everyone is scared sh#tless to test it, but since it has 4 wheels, I guess it's not TECHNICALLY a motorcycle.

BTW, if anyone is suicidal enough, go to the dodge website and see if YOU can be a tester! (They actually are looking for testers)
Auto_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:17 AM   #75
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

The ones that are for sale are the replica version and has a rev limiter/underpowered. It's more like a novelty bike. So whatever the potential is, you won't get it out of your whatever price tag they set up for it. Until it's tested, it aint worth jack.