Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Inman Lanier
AF Newbie

2006 warped front brake rotors

My rotors showed signs of warpage around 10K miles, when I brought it in around 14K (much worse at that point), they started to mention the 12 month "normal adjustment period". After some discussion, they opted not to go there and replaced the rotors. They then proceeded to tell me and my wife that her driving style was the cause (she's a mild driver). I think I'm sensing the same issue now after about 6K more miles. I've seen another post stating that this is a KIA problem.
So, are you having front brake rotor warping problems (evidenced by pulsing during braking or vibration during braking)? If so, did Kia put them back on and did the problem go away? Anyone had better luck with different rotors?
I'm curious if this is a KIA material problem (and an aftermarket rotor may be fine), or if they're just undersized.
Inman Lanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Inman Lanier
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 warped front brake rotors - update

Now at 26K miles and the 2nd set of rotors is showing signs of warpage - only 12K miles on them. Let's see what they say when my wife brings it in. It appears to be a bad design or do they just have crappy castings?

Does anyone else have experience here and what did Kia do for you?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Inman Lanier
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 warped front brake rotors

Went back in. They resurfaced the rotors (no charge) but refused to admit they were warped. I guess we'll be doing this often.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
retorba
AF Newbie

Check with the guys at SorentoSite.com

Here's one thread:
http://www.sorentosite.com/forum/sho...d.php?tid=3807
retorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Brownnic
AF Newbie

I own a 2005 kia Sorento EX 4x4. We've owned it for 14 months, bought it off of the show room floor, and have replaced the pads twice, and bringing it in next week to get the rotors replaced for the second time. I talked to the main mechanic, about this problem. He says it's the way the person drives and the hilliness of Seattle area. He also confirmed that the rotors are very cheap and the're not meant to go on a compact s.u.v... Can anyone find out if this is coverd on the LEMON LAW. Please respond..
Brownnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Brownnic
AF Newbie

Write back with e-mail address ..
Brownnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Last_Z
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: 2006 warped front brake rotors

Just replaced mine today with Autozone rotors! The problem is in the casting....cheap material. My local dealer (80 miles away) said it was my fiance's driving. What a bunch of crap.
The brakes on these Kias do seem a bit overwhelmed by the vehicle's weight.
Anyway, this is a Kia problem. I abuse my Mazda CX-7 and the rotors are straight as an arrow...simply better rotors.

Rick

2006 Kia Sorento
3.5L
Last_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Stone Satellite
AF Newbie

I just turned 9k on my 08' and it feels like the rotors are warped. One thing to mention is lug torque. Any time I get tires rotated or a shop does anything that may invlove removing the wheels, the first thing I do when I get it home is loosen the lugs on all four wheels and torque them to spec using the correct tightening sequence, as I don't trust impacts that the shops use for holding correct torque values, so you may want to check torque first because if the lugs have been blasted down with an uneven and incorrect torque, it'll warp the rotors.

My 08 torque specs are minimum 65 ft. lbs., up to I think 79 ft. lbs (in the manual). I torqued mine to minimum and no relief, so they evidently are cheap castings all the way up to the 08's. I'm soon to take it in for other anamolies like wind noise from the driver's side window and an annoying rattleing by the rear hatch, so maybe I can get them to replace the rotors.
Stone Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
KUtu
AF Newbie

My kia already 3 years but never change the brake pad.every time i change my tyre the machanic always telling me the brake pad still good.quite suprise u all got this problem.never know this kind of problem with kia.
i have to get the mechanic check it again my kia
KUtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Bigcooker
AF Newbie

My 2006 Sedona was going great, at 75K the rotors had to be turned because of vibration in the front end. AT 85k had to have them turned again. I now have 92K and the front end is vibrating again and it looks like I am going to have to replace the rotors this time. Is there an after market rotor that will give me better service?
Bigcooker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento