Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Hcrum87hc
AF Newbie

'93 Jimmy Idling Problems

The other week my 93 Jimmy would be idling at a light or stop sign and just cut off. When I'm not accelerating, it just cuts off. Other times it will not accelerate right after idling. When it cuts off while idling, I lose my power brakes and steering. Sometimes you can cut it off for a while and when you start it back up, it's fine. Then several miles down the road, it just cuts off while idling. We've had the mass air flow sensor and a few other things changed, I don't remember what they were. This is a really aggravating and stressful situation b/c I'm too paranoid to drive my car. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
Hcrum87hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Powerarranger
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Jimmy Idling Problems

Do a search of 'EGR' in this forum. Chances are, your Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (located on the front of the engine) is getting carbon in it and causing the engine to stall, especially when idling. Usually when this happens the 'Check Engine' light comes on. The fix is easy, a new gasket by Tomco that has a screen in it which keeps the carbon out of the EGR.

Alternatively, it could be that your Idle Air Control Valve is plugged with soot. Do a search on IAC valve and there's a wealth of info on this topic as well. It's located on the left side of your throttle body and you'll need Torx drivers to remove it for cleaning.

Anytime your engine stalls you'll lose power steering and brake assist. These systems require the engine to be running to operate. You can still steer and brake when the engine stalls, it just requires more effort. I calll it 'Armstrong Steering'

Good luck...
Powerarranger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy