Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #31
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Re: O2 sensor secondary

what year make and model is this car? assuming this is the original engine using the original harnesses..
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #32
Drift King
AF Regular

1998 honda civic EX.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #33
Drift King
AF Regular

O, and I can't even begin to explain how Im thinking this, but the only thing I think I need to do is switch the two black wires. Just puttin it out there.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #34
Smoghog
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King
Well, I reset and the light came back on so the code wasnt stuck in there. I bought a voltmeter and tested the volts on the ecu side of the O2 connector. The wires on that side are; white with a red stripe, green with a white stripe, black with brown dots and black with silver dots. Oddly, the only reading with the key on came out of the black with brown dots. Even stranger, the other side on the O2 connector that connects to that wire is one of the black wires. So thats definitely something wrong then right. We thought those black wires were grounds but one isn't and on the O2 side they are both flat black, cant distinguish between them. So on the O2 side green goes to green, white goes to white, one black to the black with silver and the other black to the black with brown. Now how do I distinguish between those colors connecting to the new O2 sensor. I have the old O2 and can match up the wires as to how they go around the connection to the O2 but its impossible to tell between the two blacks. Also, when I tried to read the ohms I didnt get anything, and I saw it says it cant read under 100 ohms in the instruction book. What am I going to do!?
Hmmm?? Why can't they follow color codes on these parts. It makes it hard on all of us.

You have voltage on one of the black wires?? Take your DVOM and check for continuity on all wires. use the diode setting and connect the ground of the dvom to a chassis ground. Then pinout the connector from the car. with the key off. You should have two wires that have continuity those are grounds. Then you should have one wire with 12v with the key on, and the other should be the signal from the 02. That covers the car side.

On the o2 check for continuity through one black wire and the green, I believe the heater side of the o2. Both black might have continuity with the green. once you have continuity now check for ohms. The wires with ohms/resistance are the heater wires.

If you can get this far you should be able to figure it out from there.
If not give us the answers and we will get you through this mess.

SH
Smoghog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #35
Drift King
AF Regular

This is just not working out. Im going to buy this Walker O2 that has a pin connector on it made for the car. Ever hear of walker? 160$...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #36
Drift King
AF Regular

Also, still does anyone know if theres a fuse for the secondary O2 sensor?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #37
Drift King
AF Regular

This just came to me now but when I bought a "universal denso O2 sensor" I dont remember it specifying if it was the main or secondary. Or does universal mean both? I mean it fits and all but..
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #38
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

the o2 sensor can be hooked up as the primary or secondary.

this thread is getting outrageous. i mean, i just never ran into someone who has had this much problems with an o2 sensor install. its ok, we will still help i got lost in all the wring descriptions, because, some of the wiring colors you described dont exist on a 98 ex. i think the wires may be discolored or you are looking at them with low lighting. i remembered the denso instructions were really easy to follow. assuming the wiring was never hacked before, you should just match up the colors and solder.

anyways,

3 of the secondary o2 sensors wires run directly to the ecu. 1 wire shares a ground with a relay. i dont really remember exactly off the top of my head which relay it is, because, there are just too many wiring diagrams for one person to remember.

download this helms for wiring specifics.

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...87&an=0&page=0

it should help you clear up alot of questions you have.

just find the o2 sensor wiring diagram and match it to the ecu pin diagrams for the 96-98 civics. that will give you a clear picture of how it runs.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #39
Drift King
AF Regular

Wow, that helms really did the trick. Looks like I only had the signal ground and signal mixed up, I switched them and everything looks fine. Thanks for all the help and not givin up on me. Now I can officially end this post!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #40
Drift King
AF Regular

Spoke too soon These wires have to be connected correctly now. I know the heater wires, the signal wire, the other must be the ground, have them all connected. I checked the fuse, its fine. I think this O2 is bad, can you tell me exactly how to check if it is? You said something about 10-40 ohms? between what two wires? My friend has a good meter but we dont know how to use it.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #41
Smoghog
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King
Spoke too soon These wires have to be connected correctly now. I know the heater wires, the signal wire, the other must be the ground, have them all connected. I checked the fuse, its fine. I think this O2 is bad, can you tell me exactly how to check if it is? You said something about 10-40 ohms? between what two wires? My friend has a good meter but we dont know how to use it.
The ohm's reading is for the heater side of the 02 sensor.
If it is a good meter you can check voltage on the signal wire.
Set your meter on 2v. The reading should flux-u-ate between 0 and 1v
However very fast 8 - 10 times a second. Here is where you need a good meter, you need to look at the average of this voltage this should be between .4v to .6v if the sensor is good/warmed up and the car is in fuel control.

You almost need a scope to check this accurately however this should show if you are in the ballpark. Go A's

SH Sorry about flux-u-ate Brain isn't woke up!
Smoghog is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!