Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
briteyesblazer97
AF Newbie

Question Issues with 1997 Chevy Blazer-Fuel Issues

Ok...I'm new to this..not a mechanic at all...but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my situation so that I will not totally get done over by the mechanics...sometimes they see a women and think these are the symptoms.....

hard to start...6-9 cranks to get it to start when vehicle's been sitting
fuel pumps whining maybe a little louder
somtimes when car at 1/4 tank or lower sometimes will stall when stopped at light or stop sign.
had to use starter spray 2x to get it to start (tip got off of one of these sites... )
Burning gas like it's CRAZY
What I've done thus far...
just changed fuel filter
will attempt to get the fuel sytem flushed out.....
then will attempt to take to a guy to give diagnostic...

What I believe..
I believe it is somewhere between the fuel injectors and the fuel pump..but do not know..priced fuel pump (@ Autozone $300)...
please give suggestions....I don't have money to just throw away...actually I don't have money to give away...
briteyesblazer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Issues with 1997 Chevy Blazer-Fuel Issues

To check your fuel pump go to autozone and ask for their loan-a-tool fuel pressure gauge (you put a deposit on it and get it back when you return it, so it's really free).

Hook this to your shrader valve behind the intake (looks like a bicycle valve) Turn the key to the run position for about 7 seconds then turn off. Note the fuel pressure. Also note how quickly the pressure drops (it shouldn't)

Then start the truck and note the fuel pressure at idle and then while reving.

you should be at 60 psi to start it. And 55 at running, if you are significantly below that your fuel pump probably will need replacing.

If that seems ok, do a full tune up

Cap
Rotor
Plugs (DO NOT FOGET TO GAP THEM to .60)
Wires
PCV

In the dark, run the car and look for electrical sparks (or arcing) at the coil. If you see that replace the coil .

Is your SES light on or has it come on? If so go to autozone and ask them to pull the codes (make them let you see the code on the scanner and write it down)

Start with that and let us know how it goes.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
briteyesblazer97
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Issues with 1997 Chevy Blazer-Fuel Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlith
To check your fuel pump go to autozone and ask for their loan-a-tool fuel pressure gauge (you put a deposit on it and get it back when you return it, so it's really free).

Hook this to your shrader valve behind the intake (looks like a bicycle valve) Turn the key to the run position for about 7 seconds then turn off. Note the fuel pressure. Also note how quickly the pressure drops (it shouldn't)

Then start the truck and note the fuel pressure at idle and then while reving.

you should be at 60 psi to start it. And 55 at running, if you are significantly below that your fuel pump probably will need replacing.

If that seems ok, do a full tune up

Cap
Rotor
Plugs (DO NOT FOGET TO GAP THEM to .60)
Wires
PCV

In the dark, run the car and look for electrical sparks (or arcing) at the coil. If you see that replace the coil .

Is your SES light on or has it come on? If so go to autozone and ask them to pull the codes (make them let you see the code on the scanner and write it down)

Start with that and let us know how it goes.

Well I tried to start with your first suggestion....unfortunately the guy from Autozone was ADAMANT that that is not an item that they loan out...so I will attempt to find other means to get this measurement done..

over the weekend I will get a tune-up and the fueld system flush...I will definitely get back and let you know...thank you so kindly for your response....
briteyesblazer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
dreamweaverzink
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dreamweaverzink
I bought a pressure gauge for mine. A wise investment if you plan to keep the vehicle (around $40). I thought mine had enough pressure, but found I was wrong... I had 48 psi before starting which simply isn't enough. Since fuel problems are common with these vehicles, this seems to be a "must have" tool that will save you hours of guesswork.
dreamweaverzink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Issues with 1997 Chevy Blazer-Fuel Issues

your fuel pressure regulator is gone, your fuel pump is weak or your battery is low.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer