Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Anybody know about well cared for '93 Jimmy engine failure?
cause - remote engine oil filter problem? 0 0%
cause - other problem known? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
xlynns
AF Newbie

Question '93 Jimmy catastrophic engine failure

I'm new to the site, so hope I'm not doing anything I shouldn't. My '93 Jimmy suddenly died and I needed the engine replaced. The mechanic said there was a problem with the remote engine oil filter adaptor, and an o-ring?? He said the original parts were still on the vehicle. Anyway, I have been very attentive to my vehicle, and don't want this to happen again. Can anyone shed some light on how this happened, and how I can prevent it from happening again?
xlynns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Were the oil coolant hoses leaking......I mean a lot of oil leaking? Did one of the hoses burst causing a sudden loss of oil pressure? Other then that, the oil hoses cannot blow your engine up. The way they cause problems is when they leak or finally give out, which causes a sudden loss of oil pressure...then you engine is toast if you don't shut it off ASAP. For them to give out, its rare but if neglected wil leventually happen.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
xlynns
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Jimmy catastrophic engine failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazes9395
Were the oil coolant hoses leaking......I mean a lot of oil leaking? Did one of the hoses burst causing a sudden loss of oil pressure? Other then that, the oil hoses cannot blow your engine up. The way they cause problems is when they leak or finally give out, which causes a sudden loss of oil pressure...then you engine is toast if you don't shut it off ASAP. For them to give out, its rare but if neglected wil leventually happen.
Yes, there was a huge puddle of oil under the vehicle when I pulled it out of its parking spot, and the engine sounded horrible. In fact, I didn't even drive it, the noise was so bad. Just called to arrange for it to be picked up and taken to the garage. Thanks for the info. By the time I'm done with this site, I plan on knowing a lot more about my car.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: '93 Jimmy catastrophic engine failure

You need to replace your remote oil filter assembly lines.

They will rupture and cause the engine to loose oil pressure.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
xlynns
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '93 Jimmy catastrophic engine failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
You need to replace your remote oil filter assembly lines.

They will rupture and cause the engine to loose oil pressure.
Thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it. I had the remote oil filter assembly replaced at the same time the engine was replaced. The mechanic said that there was a technical bulletin in July of '93 explaining that this needed to be done. Unfortunately, the dealership never replaced the assembly, even though I took it there for all of my maintencance, and you are right, that is exactly what happened. Now that it's replaced, would you recommend that I keep having it replaced? The new mechanic tells me the replacement will allow the correct psi. He also said that the o-ring on the assembly was the original factory installed o-ring, so all of the times I had the oil and filter changed, no one ever addressed the remote oil filter assembly problem. I am hoping this will never happen again.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: '93 Jimmy catastrophic engine failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlynns
Thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it. I had the remote oil filter assembly replaced at the same time the engine was replaced. The mechanic said that there was a technical bulletin in July of '93 explaining that this needed to be done. Unfortunately, the dealership never replaced the assembly, even though I took it there for all of my maintencance, and you are right, that is exactly what happened. Now that it's replaced, would you recommend that I keep having it replaced? The new mechanic tells me the replacement will allow the correct psi. He also said that the o-ring on the assembly was the original factory installed o-ring, so all of the times I had the oil and filter changed, no one ever addressed the remote oil filter assembly problem. I am hoping this will never happen again.
It is not the assembly that causes the problems, it is the oil lines.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
xlynns
AF Newbie

'93 Jimmy

Got it. Thanx.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy