Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
r.grider
AF Newbie

'94 jimmy fuel problems

my '94 jimmy has had 3 fuel pumps in the 3 years i've owned it. two in the last 4 mos. its the same story every time. it either starts or it doesn't. the last one i put in myself. started great about 10 times and thought i had it fixed. wrong !! being frustrated i took it to the local mechanic. he dropped the fuel tank and discovered the connections at the pump were loose. problem solved. wrong !! 2 mos later, same story. it has quit several times, or should i say failed to start. it has never quit while running, and temp has nothing to do with it either. it may do it cold or hot, but always eventually starts, maybe in an hour, maybe next day. could this be a relay or some type switch? well this last time it quit i let a different mechanic tow it to his garage. i got a message last night that it was the fuel pump, and it cost $572 to repair !
being reffered to this guy i thought he would be allright, now i'm skinned!
the really funny thing is, i don't believe that new pump would go that quick, and it actually is probably not even fixed for good, but hey, do you think i'm going to take it back to this guy?i figure he's chargeing about $200 an hour.
of course i have not yet talked to him, and don't know for sure what all he has done.
if anybody knows something i don't ,i sure would appreciate enlightenment.
thanks,
randy
r.grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Zuiun
AF Newbie

Re: '94 jimmy fuel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.grider
my '94 jimmy has had 3 fuel pumps in the 3 years i've owned it. two in the last 4 mos. its the same story every time. it either starts or it doesn't. the last one i put in myself. started great about 10 times and thought i had it fixed. wrong !!

I have been having the exact same problem with my '95 Jimmy -- I'm on the 3rd fuel pump in a year. I've replaced pretty much everything in the fuel system (search for previous threads in here I've started for details) and still no joy.

Symptoms are the same as you describe -- occassionally the truck just won't start, but let it sit for awhile and it fires right up. Right now seems to be the only exception -- it's been sitting for about 3 weeks with no start and there's just been too much snow on the ground to really crawl under it (not to mention the fact that I've just flat run out of money to sink into this piece of crap truck).

I have used a test light on it now that it's consistently not starting and determined that I do have power going back to the pump when I turn the key, but beyond that, no more real insight into why it consistently has start problems (other than the fact that the fuel pump just isn't running).

I have received some good advice regarding checking the connections and checking the ground -- unfortunately, none of it has done any good in my case. So if you come up with anything, please post a follow-up.

-- Robert
Zuiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
r.grider
AF Newbie

just got mine back. he replaced the sending unit as well as the fuel pump. this is the assembly the pump fastens to. it had corroded connections and had actually partially melted some connections. he put a gm pump back on which is double what other brands are. he did not use gm assembly as he said it was about $200 higher than the off brand.this assembly has no moving parts mostly just line connections and brackets, so i was fine with that decision. i'm crossing my fingers it is fixed now, but would not want to drive it far. good luck
r.grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: '94 jimmy fuel problems

If not, you will both have to check your CPI injectors for leaking.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy