Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:05 PM   #31
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Quote:
OBDII car's DO get tail pipe test. in that link you have it right there, those are the 9 counties in NC that are the only ones that do emissions for +85(i think) cars.
The tail pipe test is for vehicles from 1970 - 1995. anything newer gets the OBD2 scan test. this test uses a connctor that is attached to the obd system which stores memory (pulling a CEL) to a test computer. both of these are called emissions test.

california does the tail pipe test still on obd2 vehicles because there guidelines are more stricter for obvious reasons (like the haze in LA that only goes away with a strong wind blowing).

Quote:
im guessing florida is the same way with the popular areas not having go through tail pipe emissions test which is why many people say theres no emissions in FL.
Quote:
no even over here, NC, not all the counties have emissions inspection or regulations.
Quote:
alright.. do u live in florida? i really doubt it. i know i don't, but i was told, DIRECTLY from a florida resident, that they don't have e-check, emissions control, etc.
the OBD2 scan is an emissions test. tell that florida resident that he doesnt know what an emissions test is. there will also be a gas pressure test that will be phased in following the OBD2 scan. the tail pipe test is being phased out. that is why your 96+vehicles do not get the tailpipe test.

Quote:
another reason a florida car has to have a cat, is because every car after 96 has two O2 sensors. one before the cat and one AFTER the cat. now u think the manufacturers r gonna make two different ECU's for every car model type they make just for those cars to be sold in those few states and counties that don't have e-check? HELL NO!!! as soon as u moved the car to another state/county, it'd be illegal.
The feds set an emissions guidline for manufacturers to follow. Manufacturers have deleoped the OBD2 system. the developement of the OBD2 system consist of sensors and actuators which all electronically controls the engine systems. an example of this is the primary o2 sensor on the obd2 system. when this sensor is bad, it sends a code to the PCM, which halts the operation of the o2 sensor because it is bad and not doing its job by reading the o2 measurements of the exhaust to determine how to effectively allow fuel to enter the fuel injectors to minimize the amount of pollutants exiting your exhaust by balancing the amount of fuel and air mixture. when this sensor goes bad, there is a trouble code, you'll see this as the CEL. This code automatically puts your ecu into open loop mode. in open loop mode, you will notice that your vehicle bogs a bit or alot depending on what mods you have that effect your fuel pressure. this mode is a default mode set by the manufacturers that runs rich (you notice this because your car feels laggier/bogs and the gas mileage sucks due to running rich). the obd2 system is an important component of the emissions system, because it controls all the major fuel delivery systems on 96+ vehicles. because it controls all these systems, that is why the tailpipe test is being phased out for conducting emissions test, because it only measures what comes out of the tail pipe. the obd2 scan test replaces it, because, it measures all the emissions components already electronically in the vehicle. all you have to do is pull the code.

the purpose of the o2 sensor in the cat is to show that the cat is performing properly. The catalysts in the cat converts the passing gas molecules into something that is less pollutant than what was being produced by combustion in the cylinders. When the catalyst is not transforming the passing exhaust into less pollutant gas, the o2 sensor senses the amount of o2 passing and the CEL is triggered by the O2 sensor. the trouble code is thrown and you will fail the OBD2 scan emissions test until the catalyst is replaced, the bad o2 sensor is replaced, or the whole cat is replaced so to minimize pollutants exiting your tailpipe. a tailpipe test measures the resulting amount and type of gas molecules exiting the tailpipe. If you didnt meet the state emissions laws which are guided by federal legislation concerning amount of exited pollutant gases after the cat through the tailpipe, you have failed the tailpipe emissions test.

Quote:
btw, why do you change what you are saying from Federal to state emission law
that last sentence should answer your question.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #32
Eurotuner325i
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Eurotuner325i
Re: running straight pipes

is it legal in NY to drive with out a muffler, i want my honda to be loud (its my winter beater, 1990 civic 4door) and was thinking about just hacking off the muffler
Eurotuner325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #33
JakeDrummer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to JakeDrummer Send a message via MSN to JakeDrummer
Re: Re: running straight pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotuner325i
is it legal in NY to drive with out a muffler, i want my honda to be loud (its my winter beater, 1990 civic 4door) and was thinking about just hacking off the muffler
don't do it man, your ears have so much to live for!!!
94' S-10 - Winter Beater.
98' Jetta - Wife's Car.
81' Kawasaki LTD440

OLD/SOLD CARS: 93' Civic (Sold 124k) -- 91' Civic (Dead 300K) --
91' Civic (STOLEN) -- 92' Civic (Donor) -- 90' Caravan (Dead 227k) -- 89' Civic (Sold 289k) -- 90' Accord (Sold 265k) -- 96' Corrola (Dead 174k) -- 99' Beetle (Sold 134k)
JakeDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #34
Geeko
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Geeko
Re: Re: running straight pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotuner325i
it's not legal to drive in any of the 50 states without an exhaust supression of some sort, as far as I know. Obviously, if the sound isn't too loud anyway, there won't be a bother (ie if you have a turbo )

AD (After Deer): Nascar Ready.

Go Baby Go.
Geeko is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!