Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 06:05 AM   #1
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
Question Acclereation...!!!!

Is it normal that stock VTEC Ludes (5th gen) feel kind of slow in the lower rpm while acceleration? When VTEC is kicking in everything is fine but I thought it would be more powerful in the lower rpm, too. Is it possible that itīs because the engine has just run about 880 miles yet? Or did I "drove it in" (dunno the correct word for it) wrong? My Honda brochure said that I shouldnīt accelerate fast in the first 600 miles so I shifted at about 3.500rpm during that time. Now Iīm kicking it more but I havenīt kicked it to the maximum yet. Any suggestions about that? Thanx in advance!!
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
off the line, my Prelude isnt exactly stellar, either... but hammering the throttle once the motor is properly broken in is much more exhilerating.

just wait til the break in period is complete
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by drift
off the line, my Prelude isnt exactly stellar, either... but hammering the throttle once the motor is properly broken in is much more exhilerating.

just wait til the break in period is complete
Do you think I can already "kick" the engine? Iīve owned 3 Hondas (5th gen Civic, 4th gen Prelude, and now my 5th gen Prelude) in about 5 years but all of them were already broken in so I have no real idea how to do it best. Another reason could be the stock tires. IMO I donīt have much grip with them. Sometimes I even have the feeling that the wheels are spinning while accelerating in higher gears and rpm too but Iīm not really sure about this. I think Iīll get some Bridgestone S-03 PP as soon as possible.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
supafly1024
AF Enthusiast

Stock 5th G's can feel a bit sluggish off the line but not that bad. If I really get on it off the line I can get the wheels to chirp and my Prelude is an automatic with the sport shift transmission.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #5
fritz_269
AF Moderator

This is the torque plot (at the wheels) of a mostly stock 5g prelude.
It should be fairly obvious why you really don't get going until VTEC kicks in. (It is a four cylinder engine after all...)

fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:24 PM   #6
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by fritz_269
This is the torque plot (at the wheels) of a mostly stock 5g prelude.
It should be fairly obvious why you really don't get going until VTEC kicks in. (It is a four cylinder engine after all...)

What do you mean with "mostly"? What mods does it have got? And is there anything I can do to get a better low end without hurting the middle and top end? (except of a turbo/ sc)

(It is a four cylinder engine after all...) [/quote] My old 4th gen Lude with a 2.0i SOHC non-VTEC engine with 133hp (plus intake, chip and exhaust) felt stronger at the low end! Or I just got that feeling because it was hella loud!
Old 01-23-2002, 02:42 PM   #7
supafly1024
AF Enthusiast

I think that my header made the most difference in my low end power but I already had my intake and exhaust when I got my header. If you get a header without having an intake or exhaust then you may not notice that much of a difference because your airflow is still somewhat restricted. If you do decide to put a header on then go for the 4-2-1 design because the 4-1 will sacrifice your low end power for high end power.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:59 PM   #8
BUFF_dragon
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to BUFF_dragon Send a message via AIM to BUFF_dragon Send a message via Yahoo to BUFF_dragon
Headers actually hurt bottom end... not much, but just a little. they mainly help your top, a little on mid, and hurt low. Higher flow only helps when there is air to push, and at lower ranges, theres not alot to push. theres really nothing that I have ever heard of to help lower end without really hurting mid and top.

Just my 2
Flowmaster Single-in-Dual-out Exhaust
MANUAL TRANNY (currently BLOWN UP, along with the clutch pressure plate, and throwout bearing)
as LOW as possible without a C-notch

98 Dodge Ram Sport
16.41@81.9 in the quarter (Bone stock)
now with no Cat. (I HATE those O2 sensors)
BUFF_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:14 PM   #9
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by BUFF_dragon
Headers actually hurt bottom end... not much, but just a little. they mainly help your top, a little on mid, and hurt low. Higher flow only helps when there is air to push, and at lower ranges, theres not alot to push. theres really nothing that I have ever heard of to help lower end without really hurting mid and top.

Just my 2
I thought so...! But it doesnīt matter that much and I didnīt want to complain about my Lude. Itīs a great car IMO and Iīm glad that Iīve bought it! Just wanted to be sure about that.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
supafly1024
AF Enthusiast

4-1 headers will hurt bottom end but 4-2-1 headers will not. Well actually 4-2-1 headers could hurt bottom end, but a good header won't, like DC Sports for example.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #11
supafly1024
AF Enthusiast

This dyno chart is for a Civic SI with DC Sports 4-2-1 headers, the power gains for the Prelude wouldn't be too much different. Notice that there is at no time a loss of power.

Old 01-23-2002, 06:56 PM   #12
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Veetec
What do you mean with "mostly"? What mods does it have got? And is there anything I can do to get a better low end without hurting the middle and top end? (except of a turbo/ sc)
1998 Base, Sport Shift, H22A 2.2L VTEC - Blue line is stock, red line is with airbox & filter removed.

Best thing you can probably do is get a decent VTEC controller. If you jump to the big lobes earlier, you get a nice smooth transition and the power climbs steadily rather than jumping up suddenly. A mild cat-back probably won't hurt (although it may not help much either).

If you want a lot more power down low, look for a JRSC or N2O.
Quote:
My old 4th gen Lude with a 2.0i SOHC non-VTEC engine with 133hp (plus intake, chip and exhaust) felt stronger at the low end! Or I just got that feeling because it was hella loud!
Your B20 was no slouch and had a seriously long stroke, but the H22A still has more torque throughout. (I don't have a dyno of the B20 handy though.) The big difference is probably the VTEC spike on the H22 which makes everthing before it seem wimpy.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #13
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by supafly1024
This dyno chart is for a Civic SI with DC Sports 4-2-1 headers, the power gains for the Prelude wouldn't be too much different. Notice that there is at no time a loss of power.

I see! But the problem is that a DC-Sports header will cost me about $600 over here in germany and IMO 2,65hp is not much for its price. Germany is really expensive when itīs about aftermarket parts for asian cars.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #14
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by fritz_269

Your B20 was no slouch and had a seriously long stroke, but the H22A still has more torque throughout. (I don't have a dyno of the B20 handy though.) The big difference is probably the VTEC spike on the H22 which makes everthing before it seem wimpy.
Yea, that could be true! My old Lude was a really nice car, too! Really loud but nice. And I couldnīt even say goodbye to it!!

A VTEC-controller...? But my engine is bone stock (going to buy a K&N drop-in maybe)! How big will be the gain? Does anybody know this JR VAPC (or anything like that)? Is it any good?
I was also thinking about the JR sc. But Iīll need at least a year to get the money together and mileage becomes worse, too! And gas is really expensive over here. NOS is totally illegal!!! But I donīt trust in it anyways.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:32 PM   #15
Jacques
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jacques Send a message via Yahoo to Jacques
The Jr. VPAC (by Jackson Racing) can be used on n/a cars if you leave the boost timing controller wires unused. Theoretically, it would work similarly to APEXi's V-AFC.

However, the V-AFC has the advantage of adjusting fuel delivery. The VPAC cannot optimize the car's fuel setting...keep in mind, it has only a knob to adjust the VTEC engagement only, adjusting fuel/timing "automatically", so JR claims.
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH: Mugen and other goodies...#77 STX
My Prelude setup

PreludeOnline.com moderator
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude