Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
97warwagon
AF Newbie

seriosbraking issue!

We have a 1970 c3 350/370hp convertable.....in the course of less than 10 miles , the car started pulling strongly to the left when the brakes are applied....started lightly then got to the point of unsafe....and yes it will turn the steering wheel to the left as well.....where and what should i apply my effort to? thanks for the help
97warwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: seriosbraking issue!

Have you ever replaced your calipers with stainless steel sleeved ones? Your calipers are probably leaking from corrosion and need to be replaced. Start with the one that is pulling.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
mastertech1964
AF Newbie

Re: seriosbraking issue!

i agree you have sticking calipers to avoid other issues change them in pairs there may also be an issue in the brake hose itself breaking down internally and acting like a one way check valve but more likely than not its just sticky calipers
mastertech1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
ASEMAT
AF Newbie

Talking Re: seriosbraking issue!

Wow. well I would think that your vehicle (unless it is your desire to keep it completely stock) is worthy of revamping the brake system. I would put on oversized rotors and appropriate calipers for that year. As you might know, American cars about 75 and back were not well known for having superior brakes. Said in other words, as for many models, the brakes really suck.
Now, if I remember correctly with automobiles; brakes are kind of an important feature. They keep you from running into things if you can stop short with them. It would seem to be a novel thing to have on a fiberglass body vehicle. IMO, they would be worth every penny.
2nd post:
For the record, can you please clarify?
Forgive me, call me stupid if you like, but did you mean:

If I had replaced the calipers with stainless steel ones, that they might be corroded and leaking.
OR:

Replace OEM Calipers with stainless steel sleeved ones which are virtually corrosion proof and highly unlikely to leak.

I would imagine you meant the latter interpretation since it seems to be truer to fact.

RE: Calipers. I do not recommend ever buying Chinese replacement castings. The forge quality in my opinion is sub-standard to practically any OEM part of the same type. I know that seems like a "no brainer", but a lot of people shop everything by price and not the origin of manufacture. Personally, and certainly no meaning to offend my Chinese friends, but I will not install such parts. I just won't do the work. I don't care, they can even threaten to fire me if they wanted. I wont do it. Chances are that they wont even fit properly anyway. As long as those stainless steel calipers are not of Chinese origin, they have everything going for them.

Last edited by ASEMAT; 09-19-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Addendum
ASEMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
97warwagon
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: seriosbraking issue!

well the weather got nice and i decided to replace the calipers...........it was interesting.........i found that if i use zip ties to hold the pads and pistons back i was able to slip them right on(works better than a putty knife)..........but alas it was not the calipers.....it was the flexible line!.. so i replaced it, but while i replaced it i ran the resivoir dry (the front one and then the back) . now i have run two bottles of brake fluid through the system and have no pedal(goes right to the floor).......i also noticed i used synthetic dot 3/4 fluid could that cause a problem?
97warwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette