Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
aeflower9
AF Newbie

Post wanting a 70 something corvette please help!

I have a 2009 corvette with the 6.2L engine, which i love, but i want to get an older one and put a crate motor in it with around 350 to 400 hp. where would be the best place to get one that would be the best for the money and wouldn't be to hard to put in. Does anyone have any kind of information about doing this i would greatly appreciate it. I have looked at jegs and summit so far, and where is a good place to get an automatic transsmission or would i have to change it im not too sure how strong the factory ones are. Thanks im hoping to start soon as i find the right one looking at one tomorrow a 77 but i think i want a automatic thanks
aeflower9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: wanting a 70 something corvette please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeflower9 View Post
I have a 2009 corvette with the 6.2L engine, which i love, but i want to get an older one and put a crate motor in it with around 350 to 400 hp. where would be the best place to get one that would be the best for the money and wouldn't be to hard to put in. Does anyone have any kind of information about doing this i would greatly appreciate it. I have looked at jegs and summit so far, and where is a good place to get an automatic transsmission or would i have to change it im not too sure how strong the factory ones are. Thanks im hoping to start soon as i find the right one looking at one tomorrow a 77 but i think i want a automatic thanks
These are 25-40 year old used cars, so most need work. You'll probably find the most pampered ones and the best leads at your local Corvette club.

As for the trans, I've had my best luck asking the best engine guy and the best rear-end guy in the area who builds and backs the best trannies. Good mechanics know each other and depend on each other for their own cars. A shop that's been around more than a few years won't be the cheapest, but they'll likely be around to stand behind their work.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
BloodRedVette
AF Newbie

Re: wanting a 70 something corvette please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeflower9 View Post
There were a couple good one's on eBay the other day.
Also - 1974 was last year with fiberglass floor - in 1975 they added a Catalytic Converter and had to use a metal floor pan which does rust out.

Personally - I would not do an auto trans - I love my 4 speed!
BloodRedVette is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette