Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
gap825
AF Newbie

1990m celebrity drain fuel tank celebrity 1990

is there any easy way to drain the fuel tank in this car, short of taking the tank out.

CAn the fuel line be used to drain at the fuel injector or can I take off the gas filter to drain?
gap825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1990m celebrity drain fuel tank celebrity 1990

I replaced my tank recently. I drained it partially through the normal gas tank point. I just shoved a hose down into the tank, then started a siphon into a gas can.

You could empty it using the fuel pump through the fuel filter. Remove the fuel line from the outlet from the filter, put a hose on that into a gas can. Do not try to take the fuel line off the metal fuel lines exiting the tank. If they are corroded, it is very likely that you will break the fuel lines. After connecting the fuel filter outlet to the gas can, force the fuel pump to run by closing the relay in the engine compartment. There is a trouble shooting mode that will close all the relays. I think it's activated at the ALDL connector.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
gap825
AF Newbie

thanks tomi.

I was unable to put a hose directly into the tank. It seemed like there was an antisiphon device. Is this standard?

Also I could not get the retaining clip off the fuel filter. Seemed like there was some kind of spring loaded clip with a pressure fitting. Do you know if you need to buy a special tool to undo this? Wrenches sure didn't work.

Finally is it obvious how to override the relay to run the fuel pump?

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I don't think there is an anti-siphon device, but the pipe and hose twists and turns a fair amount between the fill port and the tank.

The connector is a quick connect fuel line connector. There is a black plastic outer part and a white nylon inner part. The inner part has a couple of barbs that engage in holes in the outer part. I believe the outlet of the fuel filter has the inner part and the fuel line has the outer part.

There are two 'tabs' protruding out of the connector when it's engaged. To take it apart you have to squeeze the tabs in enough so that the barbs are disengaged from the holes.

I'll look in my service manual to see if it has any information about the troubleshooting mode I mentioned. I'll get back to you later on that.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I checked the manual, and I was mistaken.

There is a Diagnositic Mode, which is entered by connecting ALDL connector terminals "A" to "B" with the ignition switch in the "ON" position while the engine is not running. This engages all relays _except_ for the fuel pump relay.

However there is a connector on a red wire located behind the driver side front suspension pillar that will allow you to apply 12 volts to the pump. This wire connects to the pump through the fuel pump relay.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
gap825
AF Newbie

Thanks so much tomj for your thoughtful answers. And thanks for taking the time to do the research.

I'll give it a try later Thursday and let you know.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
gap825
AF Newbie

Follow up for tomj. Thanks. You are right on all counts! No anti siphon device but I had to use a "floppy" hose as the stiffer hose I used earlier could not negotiate the bend.

Was able to purchase at Autozone a fuel line removal tool for about $8 which allowed me to disconnect at the fuel filter. Switched ignition on and the pump could be used to empty tank.

Thanks so much for your description, advice, help, etc........
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

>Switched ignition on and the pump could be used to empty tank.

From my experience, the pump only runs for a few seconds if the car isn't running or cranking. To get the pump continuously, you need to use the connector I mentioned. It's on a red wire in the engine compartment behind the driver side strut tower.

I'm glad the information I gave you was helpful.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity